Discussion Board

How to use the "Carbide.c++"

New comer to Symbian and "Carbide.c++".
    could any one give me a simple flow doc for how to create a new application on "Carbide.c++",also some configuration description is preferred!

Thanks a lot

Super Contributor

Re: How to use the "Carbide.c++"

Hi,

Once you install the product, you fill find a number of getting started tutorials from the Help.

I have the same problems than hhygcy; 3 or 4 instructions for begin will be welcome, thx.

Super Contributor

Sorry to be a bit repetative, but there are some very good tutorials once you have installed the product.

If you need help with the installation, download the Installation guide from http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...tallation.html.

Once the installation has completed, it will launch a web page with links to the SDKs and Perl environment that you need to download (Perl is mandatory as is at least one SDK) and install.

When all these installation steps have been completed, you can start Express from Windows-Start-Programs-Carbide-Carbide.c++. When Eclipse starts you will be asked to select a workspace, any directory that does not have a blank in the path is fine.

When the program starts, it will show a big Welcome screen. The center icon (showing a blackboard with 123 on it :-) leads to the tutorials. Read the tutorials and you should be all set! To get to Carbide itself, click on the bent arrow in the upper righ corner of the Welcome screen.

Red face Re: How to use the "Carbide.c++"

Quote Originally Posted by mitts
    Sorry to be a bit repetative, but there are some very good tutorials once you have installed the product.

If you need help with the installation, download the Installation guide from http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...tallation.html.

Once the installation has completed, it will launch a web page with links to the SDKs and Perl environment that you need to download (Perl is mandatory as is at least one SDK) and install.

When all these installation steps have been completed, you can start Express from Windows-Start-Programs-Carbide-Carbide.c++. When Eclipse starts you will be asked to select a workspace, any directory that does not have a blank in the path is fine.

When the program starts, it will show a big Welcome screen. The center icon (showing a blackboard with 123 on it :-) leads to the tutorials. Read the tutorials and you should be all set! To get to Carbide itself, click on the bent arrow in the upper righ corner of the Welcome screen.
    I have install all the tools as you discribe, but when I stat Carbide c++ Express, and try to build one s60 project, the wizard can not find SDK(SDK for 2nd Edition, FP 2 )? My question is how to let the Carbide c++ Express find the SDK.

Thanks, waiting your replay.

I can build the application "hello world", but can't make helloworld display in the installat item. could u tell me why?

Super Contributor

Sadanyale, are you sure that you have the CW version of the SDK? If yes, do you have a non-English version of Windows, we are seeing some issues with that that we have not been able to identify?

hhygcy, I don't quite understand the problem you are seeing, can you be more specific?

Post Re: How to use the "Carbide.c++"

Quote Originally Posted by mitts
    Sadanyale, are you sure that you have the CW version of the SDK? If yes, do you have a non-English version of Windows, we are seeing some issues with that that we have not been able to identify?
    Config List:
    IDE: Carbide.c++
    SDK:SDK for 2nd Edition, FP 2 (Chinese)
    Windown OS: Win Xp home sp1 (Chinese)
    Question is : Can not find SDK.

I have uninstall Carbide.c++, then install VS.Net 2003(Chinese),
    then install Carbide.vs and SDK for 2nd Edition, FP 2 (Chinese)
    Now I can run my "Hello world! "

I think there must be some problem that not find out for Carbide.c++,
    so I will use Carbide.vs first,
    Thanks for your help!

Super Contributor

Hi,

Yes the FP2 Chinese is a WINS SDK and will only (ever) work with Carbide.vs.

Regular Contributor

Question Re: How to use the "Carbide.c++"

I am a C++ and J2ME programmer new to Symbian and Carbide Express.
    I have completed the Carbide tutorial and created, debugged, and deployed the HelloCarbide app to an actual handset.

The next step for me is to load example projects, particularly one that uses that Camera and displays Images. I have not been able to find or load an example compatible with S60, 2nd Edition, FP2.
    Would someone please tell me how to find and load such examples?
    I see that there are various examples in \Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Series60Ex and \Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Examples, but I have not figured out how to use them.
    I am using Nokia 6620 and 6682 handsets.

- Thank You, David Manpearl dmanpearl_at_imatte_dot_com

====================

P.S. Anyone suffering from accidental download of the WINS SDK, these links to the WINSCW SDK found in another thread solved my first hurdle of difficulties...

S60 3rd Edition (http://ncsp.forum.nokia.com/download...0-f.3.215f.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition, FP3 (http://sw.nokia.com/id/c98847e6-b922...nd_sdk_fp3.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition, FP2 (http://sw.nokia.com/id/c7cdcde5-af46...nd_fp2_sdk.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition, FP1 (http://sw.nokia.com/id/b532c5e4-fcb3...DK_v21c_CW.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition (http://sw.nokia.com/id/13723492-3d79...dk_v2_0_CW.zip)
    Last edited by davidmanpearl; 2006-03-20 at 05:27.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmanpearl
    I am a C++ and J2ME programmer new to Symbian and Carbide Express.
    I have completed the Carbide tutorial and created, debugged, and deployed the HelloCarbide app to an actual handset.

The next step for me is to load example projects, particularly one that uses that Camera and displays Images. I have not been able to find or load an example compatible with S60, 2nd Edition, FP2.
    Would someone please tell me how to find and load such examples?
    I see that there are various examples in \Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Series60Ex and \Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Examples, but I have not figured out how to use them.
    I am using Nokia 6620 and 6682 handsets.

- Thank You, David Manpearl dmanpearl_at_imatte_dot_com

====================

P.S. Anyone suffering from accidental download of the WINS SDK, these links to the WINSCW SDK found in another thread solved my first hurdle of difficulties...

S60 3rd Edition (http://ncsp.forum.nokia.com/download...0-f.3.215f.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition, FP3 (http://sw.nokia.com/id/c98847e6-b922...nd_sdk_fp3.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition, FP2 (http://sw.nokia.com/id/c7cdcde5-af46...nd_fp2_sdk.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition, FP1 (http://sw.nokia.com/id/b532c5e4-fcb3...DK_v21c_CW.zip)
    S60 2nd Edition (http://sw.nokia.com/id/13723492-3d79...dk_v2_0_CW.zip)
    Hi,

Order to get the examples to your IDE you need to import them.
    1. Select File > Import from the main menu.
    2. Select Symbian mmp File and click next
    3. browse mmp file of the example from the S60 examples directory
    4. Select also correct SDK from the same windows and click finish.

The camera example issue is not so easy. You need to install separate camera plugin order to get the camera emulation for your SDK. It seems that at the moment there is only one old Camera Plugin available for the S60 2nd edition. There should also be camera plugin for the S60 2nd fp1 but i couldn't find it. if you need it I recommend that ask it from forum.nokia.com.

Regular Contributor

Dear Kriipine,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
    Your instructions to Import a "Symbian .mmp file" from the groups directory of the examples instead of trying to Import an "Existing Project" allows me to load various examples.

However, I have not been able to create an sis directory with a .pkg and .sis file for deployment to a handset. These exist in the HelloSymbian tutorial, but not in the examples. How do I generate an SIS for deployment?

These example seem to build. They go through the motions of compiling and there aren't any errors or warnings. Except "NewApplication_FV@1". I am able to debug and run in the Emulator. However, when I modify the text strings in file /data/filename.loc, they do not get updated in the application run in the Emulator. A "Clean..." and then rebuild (automatic) does not utilize these new string values. Do you know what I am doing wrong (i.e. How to get code modifications in the .loc file to work, how to generate an sis file, etc)?

I will explore the Camera Plugin issue after I resolve these current issues.

I understand that ARMI is required to create a build for the handset. What is "Thumb" and is it required?

- Sincerely, David Manpearl dmanpearl_at_imatte_dot_com

Quote Originally Posted by davidmanpearl
    Dear Kriipine,

How do I generate an SIS for deployment?

Do you know what I am doing wrong (i.e. How to get code modifications in the .loc file to work, how to generate an sis file, etc)?

I understand that ARMI is required to create a build for the handset. What is "Thumb" and is it required?

- Sincerely, David Manpearl dmanpearl_at_imatte_dot_com
    There is good instruction how to create sis packets with Carbide C++ Express in the Carbide Help. Please search following issue from the Carbide C++ help: Working with PKG and SIS Files.

If you want to change the texts of the example application you need to modify .rls and .rss files and then recopile the whole project including the resource files.

If you want to create .sis packet then you need to compile the arm or thumb binaries. Both of those work with handset. There are slight differencies with the size of the binary packet between arm and thumb packet. In your case when you installed Carbide C++ Express the GCCE compiler was also installed so you can complie the thumb binaryby using Carbide C++ IDE.

Super Contributor

If you import a project, the Import Symbian .. itself will not import the .pkg file. You can get a .pkg file into your project in 2 different ways:

1) Use the Eclipse Import -> File system wizard and import the .pkg file from the location of your imported project. In this way you will get a file with contents that you can then edit if needed.

2) Create a new empty file. Preferably first create s folder, eg "sis" using New - Folder, then go to the folder and there do a New - File. A file that you give the extension .pkg will automatically pick up the correct build steps for the GCCE build as can be checked from the file Properties, the WINSCW build steps are empty and the CreateSis build step is associated with the file for the GCCE build. If you create an empty file, then obviously you need to edit it for the content.