Discussion Board

Unhappy How to save/restore input mode in Symbian 8.0 or higher?

In N70, after install my fep, sometimes the default input mode of smseditor would change to Number. And after that, it remains Number always.
    When I changed current fep to T9, the the default input mode of smseditor was also Number, but if I changed the input method to Abc, the smseditor will remember this. Next time the default input mode would changed to abc. How can T9 do this???
    So many things T9 could do, but none and no documents tell me how.
    Why???

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to save/restore input mode in Symbian 8.0 or higher?

T9 propably uses some sort of global settings, that the FEP reads when it is initialized. To do this you could implement a settings store that you could read from your FEP during its construction process.

Then of course you need to remember that there could be multiple processes accessing the data at the same time, so you might want to take it account.

Also if you notice that you can only inpiut numbers, * & # symbols, then it could also be that your FEP is not loaded at all, and the keyboard events are going to the editors without any processing.

yucca

Thanks for your reply.
    My fep works fine, I can manually change input mode to English anytime. The point is that: the smseditor tell my fep to change to Number input mode when it gets focused. After this happened, and I changed current fep to T9, the default input mode of smseditor will be Number too.
    But the difference is:
    in this situation, I changed input mode to Abc in T9, than I exited sms, when I reentered smseditor, the default input mode of smseditor will changed to Abc. But when I do this using my fep, the default input mode of smseditor remain Number.

Maybe I should call EditorState()->SetCurrentInputMode(iInputMode) after I changed my input mode, is that right??

Nokia Developer Moderator

AFAIK, it will store the input mode to the editor it self, and will be valid only for the life time of that editors instance, thus if you exit the aplication this information is most likely lost, unless the application itself stores it somehow, so test it out, maybe it will work with the messaging application.

Othervise you should store it by your self to some settings file shared between your FEP instances, or call it a feature of your FEP implementation.

yucca

Thanks a lot, yucca.