Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Build hangs in Carbide c++ Express

Hi!
    I installed Carbide c++ Express along with ActivePerl and S60 FP2 SDK and created a new Hello World project.

When I select "Build Project" or "Rebuild" the build progress dialog appears. If I view the details the progressbar is blank (0 %). It says:

Building project... - Calling make for project HelloCarbide

Yesterday I left my computer like this and whent down to feed my horses and when I returned 30 minutes later it was at the same point as when I left it.

If I press Cancel the build process is canceled. If I click Run in Background the dialog disappears and it says 0 % in the lower right corner. When I try to close the IDE the progress dialog appears again. After killing Carbide from Task Manager a dialog with the following message appears:

JVM Terminated. Exit code=1073807364
    C:\Prgoram\Carbide\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m
    -jar C:\Program\Carbide\startup.jar
    -os win32
    -ws win32
    -arch x86
    -launcher C:\Program\Carbide\eclipse.exe
    -name Eclipse
    -showsplash 600
    -exitdata cd8_3c
    -vm C:\Program\Carbide\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    -vmargs
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m
    -jar C:\Program\Carbide\startup.jar

I've moved the workspace to a location without spaces.
    Running on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Swedish (I read that there's been some problems with non-english OSs).

Greatful for any suggestions.

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist

Super Contributor

Re: Build hangs in Carbide c++ Express

Hi,

Can you try and activate the Eclipse Console window before you start the build, you are then able to see what steps are taken or not taken? How far did the build proceed or did it proceed at all?

Hi!
    I'm visually impaired and I use white text on black background. The text color in the console window is set to black as standard, not Window Text as one might expect.

Anyway, now I can see that things are happening.

The first error is:

C:\Symbian\Carbide\Workspace\HelloCarbide\S60 2.6 Emulator Debug>rm node.txt
    Det g†r inte att hitta s”kv„gen.
    Translates to "Unable to find the path".

I changed the path to my workspace so it didn't contain spaces but the wizard has created a folder for the emulator that contains spaces. I'll replace the spaces with underscores and see if that helps.

Regards

Karl-Otto

No that didn't work, if I change to underscores a new folder with spaces is automatically created. Hmpf!

Why is there a ">" and not a "\" between the path and the filename?

Thankful for all help!

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Karl - I see in your post that it looks like you hang at that start of the build, then you see what appears to be a call to 'rm'. There's a bug we found on some configurations where the clean command accidently defaults to the non-windows clean util - 'rm' where it should be 'del'.

I think you might be able to workaround the problem by creating a dummy batch file on your PATH that does nothing and is called 'rm'. If that's the problem perhaps it will get you past this stage.

This problem has since been fixed in the eclipse core.

Cheers,
    Tim

Hi!
    I created a rm.bat in my Windows directory and tried to build but with the same result. I then moved it to System32... but Windows told me that there already was a rm.bat there... Hmm...

It contained the following:

;rd lm_loader\bin
    ;rd lm_loader
    ;rm node.

I renamed it to _rm.bat and... tada!

**** Full rebuild of configuration S60 2.6 Emulator Debug for project HelloCarbide ****
    Build complete for project HelloCarbide

Now I have to figure out how to make a sis file so I can test it on my phone. I've created apps for Palm Os and looked at Pocket PC but I have no clue about Symbian.

Thanks!

I'll get back here if I need more help.

Regards

Karl-Otto

Sorry, I myself put the ";" in front of each row to rem them out.

Karl-Otto

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi - Glad to hear to you got it working. This issue has already been fixed for the next release.

For PKGs, since you are working on a S60 SDK, try to create a project wizard example (e.g. S60 Dialog) and check out the PKG file in the project. That will give you the basic format for a simple application and automatically create a SIS file you can install on your target phone.

Cheers,
    Tim

Hi again!
    The first app, HelloCarbide, was created by the Project Wizard and was a View app. I've created a HelloDialog from the Wizard, built it and rebuilt it but no sis-file appears.

This is the contents of the HelloDialog.pk file:

;
    ; Installation file for HelloDialog application
    ;
    ;Languages
    &EN
    ;
    ; UID is the app's UID
    ;
    #{"HelloDialog"},(0x051EFAE2),1,0,0
    ;
    ;Supports Series 60 v 2.0
    ;This line indicates that this installation is for the Series 60 platform v2.0
    ;This line must appear _exactly_ as shown below in the sis file
    ;If this line is missing or incorrect, the sis file will not be able
    ;to be installed on Series 60 v2.0 platforms
    (0x101F7960), 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    ;
    ; Files to install
    ; Symbols set up for the source location are Carbide.c++ specific symbols
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\HelloDialog.app" -"!:\system\apps\HelloDialog\HelloDialog.app"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\system\apps\HelloDialog\HelloDialog.rsc" -"!:\system\apps\HelloDialog\HelloDialog.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\system\apps\HelloDialog\HelloDialog_caption.rsc" -"!:\system\apps\HelloDialog\HelloDialog_caption.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\system\apps\HelloDialog\HelloDialog.aif" -"!:\system\apps\HelloDialog\HelloDialog.aif"

Thankful for all help

Karl-Otto

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Karl - First make sure your are building a phone target (e.g. ARM4, GCCE). Then the last stage in the console for the phone target shows the makesis or createsis application running. If you have a PKG file in your target the SIS creation utils will run for all Phone targets (not emulation). The PKG file that is used is the one in the build directory. See the documenation on Working with PGK files for more info. Once you have the SIS file you should just be able to drop it on your phone (e.g. via bluetooth) and run the sis file to start the install process.

Cheers,
    Tim

Thanks!
    When I changed the target I got a sis-file and it worked fine on my Nokia 6630. Now "all" I have to do is find out how Symbian and Series 60 works. I'm a Palm developer and I found a PDF that described the differences between the platforms.

I think I have to read the doc a couple of times to really get a grip on how it works. When you're used to one way of working it takes a little while to change way of thinking but I keep my hopes up!

As I mentioned I'm visually impaired and I use an app on my phone called TALKS 60, which is a screen reader for Series 60 phones. It uses a text-to-speech engine to tell me what's on the screen and what I'm typing.

I wanted to make a test to see how TALKS reacts to different events that may occur in an application.

1. An application with one text field that is updated programmatically. Will TALKS read the new text?

2. If 1 fails, a new app with two text fields. The first one contains the text that should be read, the other is just there so the app can shift focus to it and then back to the first field again. Does TALKs read the text now?

I'm not certain that 1 will work but 2 should definitely do.

Do you, Tim, or anyone else have any sample apps that I could use or perhaps some docs that I should read?

Palm OS have it's HotSync which works great and is easy to use. I read somewhere that Symbian has something similar. Where can I find info or samples on createing sync modules?

Very thankful for your support

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Karl - Your application sounds very interesting. Here's a couple of links that may help if you haven't seen them already (sounds like maybe you have):

Porting from Palm OS
    -----------------------
    <http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/795ff240-552d-4f63-bade-d66e2ab8a0da/Symbian_OS_for_Palm_Dev.pdf.html>

<http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/1b1edbb1-180e-4631-8ac0-b7157d00fd57/Series_60_Platform_Porting_From_Palm_OS_v1_1_en.pdf.html>

For PC Connectivity/Synhc this might be a good place to start.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,1_55,00.html

Your phone should come with the Nokia PC Suite Software.

I don't know of any sample apps that do what is soundsl like you are trying but you should try to post again with a new thread on the C++ developers forum and you might get some more tips.

Cheers,
    Tim

It seems like the only thing you can do with the PC connectivity SDK is utilize the phone features, ie SMS, Phone Book, Voice.

What I'm looking for here is a way to transfer data from the phone to a PC. If I collect data on the field using my phone and store it in a database on the phone, I'd like to transfer it to my PC when back in the office.
    Perhaps I can store the data in textfiles on a memory card but that sounds insufficient to me.

Anyway, thanks again!

Karl-Otto

Regular Contributor

I'm having a similar problem with Carbide.c++ 1.2. My project builds when the emulator is not switched on.Then I run the application on the emulator, exit, but leave the emulator running. When I try to build the project again it will just hang at 17%, saying "Building project (...) for configuration "Emulator Debug (WINSCW) [S60_3rd_FP1]" ". The console output in the moment when it hangs is:

make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Symbian/Carbide/era/mobilegallery/group'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `LIBRARY'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Symbian/Carbide/era/mobilegallery/group'
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\era\mobilegallery\group\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB

Earlier I could rebuild my projects with the emulator running and test them immediatelly.

What could be the cause?

Maciej

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by alav View Post
    I'm having a similar problem with Carbide.c++ 1.2. My project builds when the emulator is not switched on.Then I run the application on the emulator, exit, but leave the emulator running. When I try to build the project again it will just hang at 17%, saying "Building project (...) for configuration "Emulator Debug (WINSCW) [S60_3rd_FP1]" ". The console output in the moment when it hangs is:

make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Symbian/Carbide/era/mobilegallery/group'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `LIBRARY'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Symbian/Carbide/era/mobilegallery/group'
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\era\mobilegallery\group\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB

Earlier I could rebuild my projects with the emulator running and test them immediatelly.

What could be the cause?

Maciej
    With the emulator running and doing a rebuild when modifying CPP sources try Project > Build Target only, this should be much faster rebuild. Make sure you are using at least Carbid e 1.2.1.

Tim