Discussion Board

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Re: Nokia 6101 Locked 2 TMobile Midlet can't access internet...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Java
    Heh, sadly I too have this nifty little phone (nokia 6101) from T-Mobile and tried to use OperaMini and Flurrymail and yet also get these same problems with not being able to alter the 'App. Access' since it's completely greyed out.

ditto the symptoms on my device, as well as cingular 6102, irritating, yes, no java will work.

If anyone, someday has one that works, that was sold by tmobile or cingular, post here please, as well as your firmware version

i.e. get it by *#0000#

So let me understand this, this is the case because these applications don't have the certificate? If so then would there be a way to uhh... lets say... put a certificate on there?

hartti is the guru...but I dont think it is that, I think the app access button, is somehow locked.

Certificate, just generally has to do with issues for code signing, correct hartti?

Although, tmobile and cingular, maybe had nokia twaek the OS for them, so if you were to install a javaverified app, it might work.

Hartti?

And the 6101's app. access is not an issue for anyone who actually have brought one that was non-branded?

I dont know if "the nokia employee" got to try it on anything other than a 6102, but seems to be true.

Guess T-Mobile don't want me to use their 5.99 internet service unless I get a more expensive phone from them
    -_-
    yup, though keep in mind, you can still use TMobile fabulous browser!
    Jason Glass
    http://IChiBanComputers.Com

Hey all,

I'm having the same problem with the 6101 (and the new 6103), and I've had the same experience dealing with TMo. They don't know what's wrong even though they're the ones who are obviously limiting the permissions of our MIDlets. I guess we're not talking to the right people. I will try to milk their nipples in the name of networked MIDlets everywhere.

We have, however, successfully made http connections with a Cingular 6102.

Also, we've successfully made http connections on all of the T-Mobile Samsung MIDP2s. Most of them do need to be signed first. I use T-Mobile's online signing tool at http://j2medeveloper.t-mobile.com/devportal/index.jsp. You do need to be a preferred partner of TMo in order to gain access to that site, however. Don't ask me how to do that.

Again, if anyone does gain permission on the 6101, please post & tell your solution.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

great, thanks for info kvarela

so samsungs from tmo, require signing, but not just verisign signing, but tbobile signing? That bytes, and would explain the issues I had with em, what about cingular samsungs, as one of the ones i tried worked without signing, but as stated, the tmo's did not

Guess were gonna have to get "Preferred partner" status...was it hard?
    Jason Glass

I too am suffering from the crippled firmware. This is complete and total bullshit.

I recently traded my Motorola V330 for the Nokia 6103 after the V330's display went out. Of course I tried installing Google Maps, Opera Mini, and a few other applications, only to find out that not a single one of them were being permitted to access the internet. I can't begin to explain how much this pisses me off... and then to find out that it wasn't always like this, which implies this was a proactive choice on T-Mobile's part to cripple the originaly perfectly-working firmware... I mean wtf?

Alright, enough ranting. Would it be possible to flash the phone with an older firmware? Jason, do you know what firmware version was last uncrippled?

What does it take to flash a phone? I'm willing to purchase additional hardware. I'm also tempted to just go buy an unbranded SonyEricsson or another Motorola. Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks in advance to everyone who is willing to offer useful information!

1. Carrier: T-Mobile USA
    2. DataPlan: T-MobileWeb (wap.voicestream.com)
    3. Geo. Location: Auburn, AL
    4. Model: 6103
    5. Firmware: 09-02-06, 04.62, RM-162
    6. Do Midlets you installed, acces the internet, with no error? No
    7. Do Midlets you installed, under options, have the "app. access" greyed out. Yes
    8. When running one of these MIDlets, are you prompted to allow the Midlet to access the internet? No

A Nokia Service Center can and do flash phones with a different operator version firmware. However this costs money and some might reject your request.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by brunner
    I too am suffering from the crippled firmware. This is complete and total bullshit.
    I agree completely, though I refrain from that language as dont want to get in trouble by the almighty nokia people...

I recently traded my Motorola V330 for the Nokia 6103 after the V330's display went out. Of course I tried installing Google Maps, Opera Mini, and a few other applications, only to find out that not a single one of them were being permitted to access the internet. I can't begin to explain how much this pisses me off... and then to find out that it wasn't always like this, which implies this was a proactive choice on T-Mobile's part to cripple the originaly perfectly-working firmware... I mean wtf?
    That sucks that you bought one, I know, I feel sorry for all end consumers that are purchasing, and unaware. it shouldnt be left up to tmo, it should be left up to the consumer whether or not they want to actually own/have full control over their device, an end user can generally do whatever they please with their PC, yes?

Alright, enough ranting. Would it be possible to flash the phone with an older firmware? Jason, do you know what firmware version was last uncrippled?

What does it take to flash a phone? I'm willing to purchase additional hardware. I'm also tempted to just go buy an unbranded SonyEricsson or another Motorola. Does anyone know of a solution?
    not sure on firmware, be nice if tmobile gave us a list ; )

from what i understand, you could

A. flash some devices your self, if you can get the ROM image/s for it, you have to figure out the pinouts and create a suitable cable, i dont know if this pertains to nokia specifically, but I know other devices can be self flashed.

B. send it to nokia/symbian and they may be able to flash it back to an unbranded firmware

C. take it to tmobile, and see if they will flash it back(doubt it), or install the verisign code signing certs.

D. look in your area for ?unlockers?, these are legitimate companies that have the tools and means of 1. unlocking a device(though wont help you), 2. flashing a device if it is flashable

Thanks in advance to everyone who is willing to offer useful information!

1. Carrier: T-Mobile USA
    2. DataPlan: T-MobileWeb (wap.voicestream.com)
    3. Geo. Location: Auburn, AL
    4. Model: 6103
    5. Firmware: 09-02-06, 04.62, RM-162
    7. Do Midlets you installed, under options, have the "app. access" greyed out. Yes
    8. When running one of these MIDlets, are you prompted to allow the Midlet to access the internet? No
    dang, i saw the above specs on your device, and though, that would be cool if everyone, or forum nokia did this, then i remebered that I recommended we do this on this page-lol-it's been awhile since I posted this

Good luck, and please post your outcome, whether good or bad, as maybe tmobile will notice it, and if all else fails, call Tmobile and complain, as all end users should, maybe one day it will have an effect

oops sorry, just saw trouds post - guess it will just help reinforce!
    Jason Glass

I have a midlet that is signed by verisign and works on all cingular phones. For example it works fine on the nokia 6102i but I am unable to even install on it on the 6103 that I have from t-mobile.

What I am curious to find out is how are you installing your application onto your 6101? That is t-mobile correct? I am assuming OTA with a midlet signed by verisign, is this correct?

I have answered your questions below, sorry not much of help. Also note that our application uses sms instead of accessing the internet.

1. Carrier: T-Mobile USA and cingular
    2. DataPlan: Yes for both.
    3. Geo. Location: Cambridge, MA
    4. Model: 6103 and 6102i
    5. Firmware:

Super Contributor

"For example it works fine on the nokia 6102i but I am unable to even install on it on the 6103 that I have from t-mobile."

Can you check your 6103, if it has the Verisign certificate for MIDlet signing
    Menu > Web > Settings > Security settings > Authority certificates

Hartti

Wow, thanks, I guess you can ignore my response to another one of your posts where I was asking how to find the root cert on the nokia 6103.

Anyway, very interesting, I compared the verisign fingerprints on the Nokia 6103 and the Nokia 6102i and they matched! However, if I try to install our midlet, signed only with verisign it installs on the 6102i but not on the 6103. (The only differences I am assuming here is that the 6103 is t-mobile)/

We ran into similar issues on the Razr, where it only worked on cingular and not t-mobile but there was a 4th verisign cert that I had assumed matched our cert we were signing with. (Couldn't verify because Motorola does a terrible job of telling you about the certs on the phone)

I am at a complete lose now of why this works on the cingular nokia 6102i and not the t-mobile 6103. I would just blame t-mobile and say that they do something to their phones but it works on a Nokia 6600 from t-mobile and also a Samsung t-609.

Super Contributor

The explanation in your case seems to be following. T-Mobile uses a little different MIDP security domain policy (than phones in general), and trusted 3rd party applications have additional límitations compared to the MIDP security policy recommendation. Your midlet apparently tries to use some API which is not allowed for 3rd party applications at all. Hence the installation fails.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Thanks for the info jstreb and hartii

"We ran into similar issues on the Razr" we have the same issues between cingular and tmobile, cept we have issues with some samsungs from cingular, did you try samsung jstreb?

The samsung T809 from TMO, also doesnt allow network access. How much data are you xmitting through SMS's? Can you pushregister(sms) on the device, even though you cant get an http conn, as well as receive the SMS?
    Jason Glass

I have the same problem on running java application of bluetooth client connection using btspp.

1. Carrier: china unicom
    2. DataPlan:
    3. Geo. Location: hangzhou,zhejiang province,china
    4. Model: 2865
    5. Firmware: V FL175V0300.nep,26-07-06, RM-193,(c)NMP

Hello,

i am also having the same problem. I downloaded aplication from wap.slotland.com and can not connect to login over internet.

*********Application access is set to not allowed.**********

Tried talking to T-mobile. They have no idea what I am talking about(!!??)
    They told me that it is not they fault , but NOKIA's.

Before I talk to them again, I would like to know, if someone with Nokia 6101, but with carrier other then T-mobile, has the same probblem or not.

Anyone knows?

Please help!?

Henry

I gave up on this and ended up buying a Sony Ericsson W810i from Cingular and unlocking and then flashing it to generic firmware. I can't say I regret it. The W810i has got to be one of the best devices I've ever owned - possibly the best. Since this is a Nokia forum, I'll spare you guys the details.

Best of luck with your Nokia 6101/6103's.

Super Contributor

lietuva, if your phone is T-Mobile branded 6101, then the issue here is that T-Mobile does not allow Java MIDlets to connect to network, unless it has been signed by T-Mobile. This is because they want to use different security domain policy that is recommended by the MIDP specification.

On generic phone (not branded to certain operators), the network access for unisigned and trusted 3rd party MIDlets is allowed (although by default the user is asked for permission)

Hartti