Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

TCB capability approval

Hello!

What are the steps to obtain this capability?

I have a ACS publisher ID that I use to get a developer certificate but it doesn't include also this TCB capability. Is there a way to simply add this to the existing certificate, or a new certificate must be requested / payed?

Can I use the developer certificate request mechanism to include also TCB capability to my application?

Super Contributor

Re: TCB capability approval

See the part under the heading "Manufacturer approvable capabilities request form for S60 3rd Edition" on http://forum.nokia.com/testing

Nokia Developer Expert

TCB means 'Trusted Computing Base' and is only assigned to the Kernel and Software Intsall on a Platform Secure device (S60 3.0 and Symbain 9.x onwards)

No other component will be granted this TCB Capability, and the good thing is that do not need either.

There are some good white papers here

http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...ingstarted.asp

that document on how to move to a PlatSec devices and how to assign required capabilties.

[NOTE: I have moved this thread to the more relevant thread Symbian C++ / General]

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello
    Why do you think you need TCB? You won't need it.

Developer certificates are a different type of certificate from certificates granting capabilites.

Have a look at www.symbiansigned.com

It can be quite confusing to understand how all this fits together so take a good read of everything you can find. There are also some FAQs on the Symbian website.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hotcheese
    Why do you think you need TCB? You won't need it.
    I devlelop a multi-language application with sensitive help support. In order to be seen by the help application on the device the help file must be located in \resources\help\. If I change the language in the application I must also replace that help file. And I can do this only with TCB capability approved.

Nokia Developer Champion

While its true that you cannot have write access to that directory without TCB that doesn't necessarily follow that you have to have TCB to do what you want.
    What do yo umean by if you change the language you have to chagne the help file, so if the language is in English and you want to change it to Spanish, where is the location of the Spanish help file before its in \resources\help then?

Nokia Developer Expert

you could either have both help files installed when the application is installed. If you want to save space you could have your app launch the SW installer to install a replacement help file when the user changes options. This would require the help sisx packacge to be be an sisx package of the type 'upgrade'.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hotcheese
    What do yo u mean by if you change the language you have to chagne the help file, so if the language is in English and you want to change it to Spanish, where is the location of the Spanish help file before its in \resources\help then?
    I have a separate help file for each language I use. Initially I store them all in the private folder of the application (private\<SID>\help\*.hlp). When installing application I copy the default language help file in \resource\help\myApp.hlp. When switching languages into my application I must replace \resource\help\myAppHlp with newLanguage.hlp from the private folder. I cannot do this.

But I wonder... is this the right procedure in changing the help content of an application while running?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by billbonney
    you could either have both help files installed when the application is installed. If you want to save space you could have your app launch the SW installer to install a replacement help file when the user changes options. This would require the help sisx packacge to be be an sisx package of the type 'upgrade'.
    Can you be more specific? By this I understand that when I change the language of my application I should run an updater sis file just to replace that help fil? It seems stupid to me to run an installer while application is running.