Discussion Board

Help needed on larger .jar files

Hello.

I am a student just getting to grips with java and mobile technology which a friend of mine recently turned me on to.

I am interested in porting and optimising games and apps.

I use a Nokia 6230i and the Series 40 SDK.

I would like information on the process by which .jar files are installed.

I install games and apps to my phone via WAP, storing the .jad and .jar files on my webspace and downloading them, whereby they are installed automatically.

The largest I have managed to install in this manner was a 204kb .jar.

The supposed maximum for the 6230i is 512kb.

A .jar I am attempting to download and run at 243kb fails each time.

I would also like to install a .jar at 573kb which I have read works with my 6230i handset.

Does anyone have any idea how to install larger .jar files, maybe by splitting them into chunks?

Any help much appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: Help needed on larger .jar files

Hi Mr. 6230i! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 6230i
    A .jar I am attempting to download and run at 243kb fails each time.
    Please ensure that you have enough memory left in your mobile device, and please check that whether there is any download limit set by your operator.

Regards
    Gopal

Thanks, Gopal.

I have about 30MB internal memory remaining and, to my knowledge, am under no restrictions as to download size.

I'm using O2 as a service provider.

The actual error message I get is "Unable to complete operation". It comes at such a time as to make me believe that the file has been downloaded but is not installing correctly.

Super Contributor

I have been going through some previous posts and have noticed that there previously also there has been similar problems. Have you tried installing via Nokia PCSuite? Does the bigger Jar files work fine?

May be these links are of some interest
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...6230i+jar+size
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...6230i+jar+size
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...t=ota+jar+size

Regards
    Gopal

Thanks for those links.

I do not as yet have a bluetooth dongle or any other means of connecting my PC to the phone .*. have been unable to try installing via PC Suite.

However, I have used the SDK emulator to download the files and have discovered something of interest; the same problems occur. Also, on repeating the procedure I have received error messages relating to memory.

It seems possible that the download is held in memory and that the installation process requires more free memory than is available.

This would explain why some people have found that these .jar files over around 204kb will install with PC Suite, where I believe it is the PC which performs the necessary installation operations, not the phone itself.

That is, at least, my theory; I'm new to java and indeed programming, so I'm quite probably wrong.

I have just experimented using the SDK emulator with downloading a game .jar at 332kb.
    When pointing the browser to the .jad, the phone responds with "File Too Large".
    When pointing directly to the .jar, the phone begins to download, then prints "Not enough phone memory to download file".

So it would appear that there is a definite limit to the size of any .jar which can be downloaded, somewhere between 243 and 332 kilobytes, and a definite limit to the size of any .jar which can be downloaded and installed, somewhere between 204 and 243 kilobytes, on the 6230i.

Way under the supposed max. .jar size of 512kb.

The 332kb .jar file was that of "Golf Tour" - an instance of which was installed on my 6230i when I received it. Therefore, it must have been possible to install via direct connexion when the phone was first formatted by Nokia/O2.