Discussion Board

Beginner problems...

Hi All,

I am struggling at the moment, somewhat of a mental block has hit me. I have been studying this great tutorial here http://www.microjava.com/articles/techtalk/midp2_games and have got suitably to grips with it enough to change most aspects of it.

My struggle is adding a menu system to integrate with it.

I am looking to create a simple 'title screen' which is not full screen and then when the user chooses 'go' it switches to full screen and launches the game, after the game has finished it stops using fullscreen and takes you back to the menu.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
    Jamie

Re: Beginner problems...

I think you should learn more about the CustomItem.To achieve the function that you want you should make a CustomItem by yourself.

Super Contributor

Hi Jamie,

In the canvas class just write the code
    setFullScreenMode(true); when u want to switch to fullscreen and if u want to switch back to non-fullscreen just write setFullScreenMode(false);

Wang

Post Re: Beginner problems...

Thanks for your replies, I have decided to only use fullscreen mode but have reached a hurdle I cannot overcome.

Basically I have changed the tutorial above I changed the jump.java source to automatically start the game instead of waiting for a menu command.

to do this I basically removed all the command stuff and in the start app added myGameThread.go();

ie

Code:
    public void startApp()  {
         try{
         myGameThread = new GameThread(myCanvas);
        myCanvas.start();
        myCanvas.setFullScreenMode(true);
        myGameThread.go();
         }
             catch(Exception e){
          throw new RuntimeException ("Error: "+e);
             }

}
    This works fine in the standard colour phone emulator but just hangs on both (real) Nokia N70 and Sony K700i

I have been staring at the code for about 6 hours now and I just cant seem to make head nor tails of why it wouldnt work. I have adjusted the location of the call to as many different places as possible but still no joy. Please help!!!

Thanks
    Jamie

Just a quick update, I have since spent a further number of hours trying loads of different techniques to get it working but still no luck.

I have rewritten huge chunks but still get the same problem.
    If I run this on the s60 sdk emulator I get an 'unhandled exception error' which I think can only be this code

Code:
      public Cowboy(int initialX, int initialY) throws IOException {
        super(Image.createImage("/ship.png"));
        defineReferencePixel(8, 0);
        setRefPixelPosition(InitialX, InitialY);
      }
    as its the only one that doesnt catch the errors, however I am struggling to make this code catch the error as it uses the 'super' command which to be honest I havnt a clue what it is...googling hasnt help me much either

Please,Please can someone help!!!

Thanks Jamie

Regular Contributor

It's really difficult to see what your problem is because there's modified code. So try using System.err.println(error) whenever you catch an error in a try-catch to give you a sense of that the error is exactly.

Also, it might be convenient to put an "identifier" when you do that
    eg.
    Code:
    try{
    }catch (Exception error){
      System.err.println("inside startApp: " + error);
    }
    This way, you can pin point exactly where your problem is. say your block of code has a whole ton of lines, the easiest way to find out which line it is that throws the error is to use System.out.println's after every few blocks of code to have a pretty good idea whereabouts it is.

It is probably a threading issue or some graphics issue that is causing it to lock up on the emulators.. but without more info, I can't tell you more.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by lmtang; 2006-03-20 at 06:48. Reason: changed printlnt to println