Discussion Board

SnapMobile Overview Part two

Hi,

Let's say SnapMobile is going better. I have several questions:
    A Doc/FAQ displaying differences between SM for WTK2.3beta and Nokia SM last release could be great.
    - No more UI classes, it is very buggy in WTK2.3. Upgrade in future version?
    - ServerComm have a TCP support.
    - extended methods like createUser, Assets management...Great to see that, createUser need a more powerfull method to send more informations for registering (phonenum, country, zipcode, ...) like an array of String.
    - some cool methods to finetune data transfert ListenLinger/ListenMin
    - the test Server is more powerfull, createUser, TCP/HTTP support. Any limitation in number of users?
    - reportScores why not use a String array instead of this long list a parameters?
    - What is Packet class functionnality, a javadoc wrong release I suppose?
    - When a remote server functions method?

I will release an opensource PHP server with SM/WTK2.3 support. And I will upgrade to this edition, any disclaimer from Nokia about that?

Best,

Mik

Re: SnapMobile Overview Part two

Hello Even I need some brief information abt SNAP

I don't know why nokia do not release the source code.
    It just offer a good client, but the server end is not good. 10 connections, no source code to enhance, event some are obfuscated. I wonder how those company use SNAP to develop real mobile network games.
    It did not do what it promised (To reduce the develper's effort) , It just afford an example.

Regular Contributor

Hi Mik,
    1. Regarding the SNAP Mobile API that ships with the Sun Java Wireless Toolkit beta 2.3: It is a very early version of the API that is useful for running the SNAP Mobile sample application but has been replaced by version 1.1.1, which should be used for SNAP Mobile game development. The next version of the Sun WTK should contain updated sample code along with the updated API. In the meantime, it is best to use the Hello World sample application with the 1.1.1 API.

2. Community service emulator: The new SDK for the 1.1.1 API ships with an emulator that supports up to 10 concurrent users. An earlier version of the emulator that is compatible with the SNAP Mobile sample app on the Sun WTK is available at http://snapmobile.nokia.com/n-gage/w...olsanddocs.jsp

3 You are correct packet class should not be there, it will be removed from next release.

4. Opensource PHP server: This is a legal question and we would need to know more about your project. Generally the SNAP Mobile server side support has to stay in the community service emulator (server emulator) we provided. Server emulator has the most important still limited functionality and is meant *only* for development. Live SNAP Mobile development server has more features than the emulator. Soon you will be able to buy development server access through Forum Nokia. Nokia wants to be hosting all live SNAP Mobile servers.

I will be in contact with you by email....

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by com2uspravin
    Hello Even I need some brief information abt SNAP
    Check the documentation provided at
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,050_4,00.html#basic

Also more information about SNAP Mobile at
    http://www.snapmobile.nokia.com

Thanks!

1. Yes very early preview...

2. I have test both servers

3. ;-)

4. I understand these legal issues. That why I dsn't release my code. But I have talk about that to Snapmobile staff (Kay, Matt,..) in july 2005, and It seems to be ok...
    My email in forum.nokia wasn't activated: use mbry_A_miklabs_com instead.

Mik
    Last edited by mikbry; 2006-03-26 at 18:49.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by akandfxs
    I don't know why nokia do not release the source code.
    It just offer a good client, but the server end is not good. 10 connections, no source code to enhance, event some are obfuscated. I wonder how those company use SNAP to develop real mobile network games.
    It did not do what it promised (To reduce the develper's effort) , It just afford an example.
    Please note that the Community Service Emulator (Server Emulator) is ment to use in the beginning of the SNAP Mobile game development. Emulator is only simulating the SNAP Mobile servers and does not have the same capability than the servers do. The emulator source code is not released because all SNAP Mobile servers will be hosted by Nokia.

Please read the Community Service Emulator Guide at
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.pdf.html
    Last edited by heihauki; 2006-03-28 at 20:39.