Discussion Board

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

please make available NDS 2 for Linux

WIth the release of the new Carbide.J , the older NDS 2.1 is no longer available for download. However, since the new Carbide.J is for winXP only, can the older NDS 2 for linux still be made available. I understand Nokia may not wish to invest the resources into support Carbide.J for Linux, but I can't see what the reason is for the older version no longer being available to developers choosing to use Linux as their preferred development platform.

regards,
    Maks.

Super Contributor

Re: please make available NDS 2 for Linux

I join maks in this request.

i would suggest that those who want to have a linux version af nds available sign here, so Nokia can see there is a real demand.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

The older version is missing features and is not up to date, so it is not practical to release it. I have taken your request for Linux hosted tools, to those that make the decisions. While they are at least looking at Linux tools, the current resources are commited so I am not optimistic.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by maksnok
    WIth the release of the new Carbide.J , the older NDS 2.1 is no longer available for download. However, since the new Carbide.J is for winXP only, can the older NDS 2 for linux still be made available. I understand Nokia may not wish to invest the resources into support Carbide.J for Linux, but I can't see what the reason is for the older version no longer being available to developers choosing to use Linux as their preferred development platform.

regards,
    Maks.

Thanks Ron. I appreciate you taking the time to pass the request on. I also understand that it probably doesn't make sense for Nokia to invest into developing NDS for what is a relatively niche market (linux j2me developers).

Can you comment on why the earlier linux version of the NDS was not updated? Was it found that there was insufficeint demand to justify the cost of doing so?

Also I hope that more of Nokia's J2ME tooling will be moved to java in the future, as this will make it much easier for multiple platforms to be supported, as Sun does now with its WTK and IBM with Eclipse.

Maks.

Hi,

Carbide.j (as well as Carbide.c++) is elipse based. But I know that it is easy to port an IDE. It is emulators, debuggers and code analysis tools that are hard to port.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by maksnok
    Thanks Ron. I appreciate you taking the time to pass the request on. I also understand that it probably doesn't make sense for Nokia to invest into developing NDS for what is a relatively niche market (linux j2me developers).

Can you comment on why the earlier linux version of the NDS was not updated? Was it found that there was insufficeint demand to justify the cost of doing so?

Also I hope that more of Nokia's J2ME tooling will be moved to java in the future, as this will make it much easier for multiple platforms to be supported, as Sun does now with its WTK and IBM with Eclipse.

Maks.

Agreed, eclipse is written in Java and available on linux, though of course its the emulator (for me anyway) that is the real value in CarbideJ as I'm already able to do all my development with Suns and other vendors pure-java j2me toolkits.

I've just downloaded carbide.j and will see how far I can get using wine.
    Last edited by maksnok; 2006-03-25 at 00:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    Hi,

Carbide.j (as well as Carbide.c++) is elipse based. But I know that it is easy to port an IDE. It is emulators, debuggers and code analysis tools that are hard to port.

Ron
    LMAO. Eclipse was developed on Linux, initially by IBM. It is pure Java - there is no porting. The code analysis is an Eclipse C++ project feature and is not coupled to Wintendo, nor is debugging as this is a feature of the cross compiler. All that remains are the emulators which are of questionable value as plenty of code works in an emulator and then fails on the device. I am personally a little incensed by Nokia for taking an open source linux-originated tool (Eclipse) and using it as the basis (adding very little extra functionality) for their own tool without giving access back to the development community who made it possible.

As for the earlier comment about J2ME on linux being "niche".

It is niche only with respect to Nokia/Symbian phones - and then due solely to Nokia's ignorance of linux as the premier software development platform.
    I am new to J2ME (because of this major disincentive) having been a J2EE developer for several years and a C++ developer for many more years before that. In the J2EE world the vast majority of developers use linux as both the development and deployment platform. Many of my colleagues have looked at J2ME and Symbian and simply given up as Nokia continue to make it unworthwhile for them to develop for their platform.
    The choice of Windows as Nokias target development platform has nothing to do with niches and everything to do with their continued use of an out-of-date windows-only toolchain.

Incidentally, check the cross compiler - it is gcc - another linux project which was ported to Windows as a courtesy.

Perhaps the courtesy could be returned.

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry but I think if you re-read my message again, you might understand what I said which makes most of your message moot as there is little disagreement.

I want to be certain that everyone knows Nokia did nothing but utilize the open source eclipse correctly as intended by the original developers.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhitla
    I am personally a little incensed by Nokia for taking an open source linux-originated tool (Eclipse) and using it as the basis (adding very little extra functionality) for their own tool without giving access back to the development community who made it possible.
    Finally it is not Nokia that choses the developer's platform.

Ron

Regular Contributor

(In bad english): Hello:

I've installed Ubuntu linux + Netbeans + Mobility pack, and i want to install "Nokia prototype SDK 4" but in the download page, the requirements are Windows XP or 2000 ¿There is a version for linux yet?

(En español del bueno): Hola:

Resulta que acabo de instalarme ubuntu, y le he metido el netbeans y el mobility pack y todo eso, pero necesito la plataforma de desarrollo, con el emulador etc, de nokia, pero en la pagina de descargas me dice que solo esta disponible para Windows, ¿Hay version para linux en algun otro lugar?

Gracias

i'd request that aswell. i deleted my old copy when i moved to another computer and kept only the binery of the installer, which is demanding a password, which i obviously did not keep, at install. is there a way to acquire this serial. (i guess not).

Any more updates on you guys giving us Linux guys support?
    I've done the whole switch from windows and I'm not installing it again.

I would also like to join the long list of people looking for a linux solution. Isnt nokia's slogan "connecting people" and not "connecting Microsoft" ?

Thumbs up Re: please make available NDS 2 for Linux

Hi all,

I was searching the carbide.j for linux and i found this thread, so being a newbie and all I want to add myself to this plead.

Tools4Linux -> j2me ;-)

Greetings!

signed.

Linux linux linux.

I am a developer of mobile applications and I have been using only Sun's wireless toolkit so far. I would love to use Nokia tools once Linux versions are available.

If Nokia does not have the resources to maintain a Linux tool-chain, Linux community will be happy to maintain it if Nokia can open up the source for Linux community.

Anyway, if Nokia's intention is to help developers making more and more mobile applications (to increase the device sales), they should think about it seriously. After all, the Windo$ tools are distributed free of cost, then, why not involve Linux community so that you immediately get millions of us start helping the development!