Discussion Board

Whats the cheapest Series 60 out there?

Hello, I am a student who has been given a final year project to develop a game on a Symbian OS Series 60 mobile phone. I was going to just use the emulator for my purposes but one of my teachers said that it would be cool to see it actually running on a real mobile phone and he wants me to put in a request for the cheapest series 60 mobile phone out there that will run my game, then he will be able to get one for the department. So he has asked me to find out which one to get, the problem is I know _nothing_ about mobile phones! Never owned one other than this cheap pay as you go one that I got for £5 and it certainly doesnt have symbian os on it.

So I am wondering if anyone can help me out. Am I right in assuming that it doesnt matter what Series 60 phone I get, my game will run on all of them regardless? I really dont know how I am going to be able to tell if my game will run on a phone without buying one first and trying it. Does anyone have a suggestion for what phone I should request?

Super Contributor

Re: Whats the cheapest Series 60 out there?

The cheapest ones might be the old S60 phones, e.g. 7650, 3650 (for S60 1.x), 6600, 7610 (for S60 2.x), etc.

Not sure whether it is easy to find "used phones" in the UK (in many Asian countries, you can find used phones in every corner.... )

If you have patience, try to bid used phone on ebay.

Antony

Ohhh thats a good point! I am using SDK 3.x so does that mean I will need to get the latest and greatest?

Super Contributor

Currently there is only one 3.x device on the market, e.g. Nokia 3250.
    The price might be still quite expensive though.

Antony

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUK
    Hello, I am a student who has been given a final year project to develop a game on a Symbian OS Series 60 mobile phone. I was going to just use the emulator for my purposes but one of my teachers said that it would be cool to see it actually running on a real mobile phone and he wants me to put in a request for the cheapest series 60 mobile phone out there that will run my game, then he will be able to get one for the department. So he has asked me to find out which one to get, the problem is I know _nothing_ about mobile phones! Never owned one other than this cheap pay as you go one that I got for £5 and it certainly doesnt have symbian os on it.

So I am wondering if anyone can help me out. Am I right in assuming that it doesnt matter what Series 60 phone I get, my game will run on all of them regardless? I really dont know how I am going to be able to tell if my game will run on a phone without buying one first and trying it. Does anyone have a suggestion for what phone I should request?
    Every thought about contacting Symbian directly? I know they like to spread the word of their devices and may assist your lecturer to obtain a prototyping S60 phone... get your lecturer to contact them.