Discussion Board

Pre-loading DRM content

Is it possible to pre-load forward-locked content on Nokia phones without going through a lengthy download process?

What I'm trying to do is come up with a way to pre-load content (AAC or MP3, specifically) onto Nokia phones. The content publishers are insisting that the content be DRM protected (at the very least, forward locked).

I've tried to copy .dm files (both forward-locked and combined-delivery locked) to the phone in question via PC Suite, but the files are not seen in the Gallery or Music Player applications. Copying regular music/media files works, however.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Pre-loading DRM content

Try this.
    1. rename the .dm file to .xxx
    2. copy .xxx file to the phone via PC Suite
    3. rename .xxx to .dm

I guess the PC tools for Nokia just check the file extension name

Super Contributor

Be aware, if you just copy .dm files via PC Suite, your content is NOT protected. Experience users can extract the original content easily.

If you want to protect your content and distribute it online, it's better to use separate delivery. Your user still need to download the rights object (it is a small file size). But that is how DRM is designed.

Antony

Quote Originally Posted by antonypr
    If you want to protect your content and distribute it online, it's better to use separate delivery. Your user still need to download the rights object (it is a small file size). But that is how DRM is designed.
    In this case, we DON'T want to distribute it online. We just want to make it available on the phone (pre-installed) as they are sold, while at the same time protecting the content from unauthorized redistribution by the people that purchase the phones.

I understand where you're coming from, though. I'm just hoping there's a way to do it without having to use separate delivery.

Super Contributor

Understood. Just curious, how and where will you pre-install the contents on the phone? Why don't you encrypt them during production using the GPRS/3G network?

I am not aware any public tool that can encrypt forward-lock and combined-delivery on the phone offline. If there is one, your problem is solved.

There is another possibility, i.e. encrypt your content using a good encryption algorithm, like AES. Of course, you need to develop the code for that. And the security is not as good as OMA DRM.

Antony

Quote Originally Posted by antonypr
    Understood. Just curious, how and where will you pre-install the contents on the phone?
    Our local Nokia office will take care of that, if we can only figure out how to do it.

Hi. Does anyone figure out how to install the key directly? I already have the dcf and dr files but how does the dr (which I guess is the key) is installed?