Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Build does not succeed in Carbide

Hi, all!

I installed Carbide version 1.0, latest S60 3.0 SDK and perl 5.6.1. After installations, I created a simple project. Then I tried to compile it, but all I get is punch of following lines>

-- clip -- -- clip --

**** Full rebuild of configuration S60 3.0 Emulator Debug for project HelloMan ****

make -k clean all
    del /s/q .\src\HelloMan.o C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\HelloMan.lib
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    make: [clean] Error 1 (ignored)
    ' '
    'Building file: ../src/HelloMan.cpp'
    'Invoking: WINSCW C/C++ Compiler'
    mwccsym2.exe -sym full -c -wchar_t off -align 4 -enum int -str pool -nostdinc -exc ms -inline off -msgstyle parseable -nowraplines -O0 -D_UNICODE -D__SYMBIAN32__ -D__CW32__ -D__WINS__ -D__WINSCW__ -D_DEBUG -D__SUPPORT_CPP_EXCEPTIONS__ -D__SERIES60_30__ -D__SERIES60_3X__ -include "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\include\variant\Symbian_OS_v9.1.hrh" -i "C:\Symbian\own\HelloMan\inc" -i- -i "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\include" -i "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\include\variant" -w cmdline -w pragmas -w empty -w possible -w unusedarg -w unusedvar -w extracomma -w pedantic -w largeargs -w ptrintconv -w tokenpasting -w missingreturn -o src/HelloMan.o ../src/HelloMan.cpp
    mwccsym2.exe|Usage|Alert
    >Output filename 'src/HelloMan.o' is invalid
    >Operating system error:
    >The system cannot find the path specified.

Errors caused tool to abort.
    make: *** [src/HelloMan.o] Error 1
    make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
    Build complete for project HelloMan

-- clip -- -- clip --

Has somebody faced similar problems? Am I missing something?

I already checked, that I don't have white spaces nor in my Carbide installation directory path or in workspace directory path.

Re: Build does not succeed in Carbide

Quote Originally Posted by junnu76
    Hi, all!

I installed Carbide version 1.0, latest S60 3.0 SDK and perl 5.6.1. After installations, I created a simple project. Then I tried to compile it, but all I get is punch of following lines>

-- clip -- -- clip --

**** Full rebuild of configuration S60 3.0 Emulator Debug for project HelloMan ****

make -k clean all
    del /s/q .\src\HelloMan.o C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\HelloMan.lib
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    make: [clean] Error 1 (ignored)
    ' '

Has somebody faced similar problems? Am I missing something?

I already checked, that I don't have white spaces nor in my Carbide installation directory path or in workspace directory path.
    It seems that Compiler can not find the HelloMan.lib from WINSCW\UDEB\ directory. Check that the lib can be found from there. If the .lib is not there then the resource file build fails. Try to compile the resource files to create the .lib file.

Super Contributor

Actually the error deleting the lib is just related to the first clean step which is of no relevance really, so this should not cause the build later to fail. As the build has never yet succesfully created the lib, it cannot (yet) be deleted..

From the error message it seems that there could be some kind of error in creating the temporary directory for the .o file, called something like: C:\your_workspace_path\HelloMan\S60 3.0 Emulator Debug\src\?

- How did you create the project, using the Static library template I assume?
    - In the Carbide/Eclipse project explorer, can you see the subdirectories \S60 3.0 Emulator Debug\src under the HelloMan project?
    - What about in Windows (should be the same)? Do you have write access to the \S60 3.0 Emulator Debug\src\ directory in Windows, try to create any kind of file into the dir?
    - What about just the simple 3.0 HelloWorld, can you build that?

I am also facing the same

I am able to work with CLI but not with Carbide.c++ Express
    I am using S60 3rd SDK for WINSCW
    Last edited by ujwalic; 2006-03-31 at 00:15.

Nokia Developer Expert

I was able to build my basic example, when my workspace was in memory stick. Perhaps there is some problems in my hard drive, though I can see file subdir.mk in S60 3.0 Emulator Debug\src folder. So it seems that atleast something can be created to that folder.

And I used templates to create my project.

Anyway, I will use other drives to store my projects than C drive.

Thanks for the help!

I got exactly the same problem with my HelloWorld project which was created by using the project wizard.

My workspace is d:\workspace. So, it is not on the C drive and there is no space in the path. I can create files and directories in \S60 3.0 Emulator Debug\. After a rebuild of the project, all files and directories I created there are removed (the src directory inclusively). Can it be that the compiler tries to write the HelloWorld.o to \S60 3.0 Emulator Debug\src but the src directory has not yet been created by the point of time?

Any idea?