Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

problem uninstalling codewarrior

Hi everybody,

I tried to install today codewarrior personal edition for symbian v3.1. I selected the personal edition type of service. The next thing I did was to change the default path for installation from C driver to D driver. After a while I got an error and the installation cancelled. I thought that perhaps it is because of spaces in the installation path, so I repeated the installation, this time putting underscored instead of spaces. This installation also didn't succeed (don't remember the erorr code) but the "check for sw updates" was installed ( I see it in my programs menu).
    So, the next step was try and unistall the program. I found that there are _two_ codewarrior programs in the "add or remove program" section. Every attempt to removea ny of them results with the following message:
    SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (439)
    pAPP:CodeWarrior for Symbian OS, v3.1
    PVENDOR:Nokia
    .... (GUID and other stuff)

So, my question from any of you is first how to uninstall codewarrior and second, what should I do to insure a successfull installation of it afterwards.

Thanks a lot.
    Imzadi

Re: problem uninstalling codewarrior

Hi.

Restart your computer and try again uninstall it.
    Also, erase from the registry anything has to do with the CodeWarrior.
    If you don't know how to access registry, ask me.

Then you have to install CodeWarrior in the default target.
    This is drive C:.
    Then everything will work perfect.

Hope helped.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Hi,
    Before you reinstall, be sure your CD drive is clean (blow it out with some filtered compressed air). Also wash the CD with some warm sudsy water and dry wth a soft lint free cloth. It is not uncommon for debris to stick to a CD in shipping that causes error in installation. Minor scratches are normal on a CD but gouges may mean the CD is bad.

Ron

Regular Contributor

Hi mpierettis
    Thanks for your help. I ran regedit and erased all CodeWarrior references, except for SDK 2.0 that I installed previouslly (its name is SDK "SDK 2.0 for Symbian OS - Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Symbian OS").
    I tried to re-install it on the default path and, again, in the middle of installation, I get an error message:
    Component: CodeWarrior Tools
    Error: Catastrophic failure

So, any new ideas? I'm lost here although I think it may have to do with SDK I previouslly installed.

Nokia Ron, I'm using a free evaluation I downloaded from "Tools and SDKS: CodeWarrior" section.

Thanks guys
    Imzadi

Try the download again, see if they are the same size as before, perhaps it was corrupted. Do the Clean as before and try to reinstall. Be sure you reboot after the cleaning. Make sure you have not anti-virus programs running (well nothing else running is best) when you do the install. Other than checking to be sure you meet the minimum requirements, disk space etc I'm stumped. If you are low on disk space defrag your drive.
    Ron

Super Contributor

The company I work for has logged this as a defect with Nokia but have not had a response back yet.

It seems that sometimes codewarrior considers the install to be an upgrade and runs a different (buggy) code path.

The only common scenario we had was that all the machines had CodeWarrior 2.5 previously installed on them.

Unfortunalty the only way round this we found was to reinstall windows and then codewarrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Todd
    The company I work for has logged this as a defect with Nokia but have not had a response back yet.

It seems that sometimes codewarrior considers the install to be an upgrade and runs a different (buggy) code path.

The only common scenario we had was that all the machines had CodeWarrior 2.5 previously installed on them.

Unfortunalty the only way round this we found was to reinstall windows and then codewarrior.
    There are hidden files that you need to delete, but it is almost as complicated as reinstalling the system software. If there is a reason you can't reinstall Windows write me a private mail or write to CodeWarrior support at Nokia.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by imzadi_il
    Hi mpierettis
    Thanks for your help. I ran regedit and erased all CodeWarrior references, except for SDK 2.0 that I installed previouslly (its name is SDK "SDK 2.0 for Symbian OS - Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Symbian OS").
    I tried to re-install it on the default path and, again, in the middle of installation, I get an error message:
    Component: CodeWarrior Tools
    Error: Catastrophic failure

So, any new ideas? I'm lost here although I think it may have to do with SDK I previouslly installed.

Nokia Ron, I'm using a free evaluation I downloaded from "Tools and SDKS: CodeWarrior" section.

Thanks guys
    Imzadi

Any time!
    I don't know if this is the problem, but need to install all the 3 packs to "play" with CodeWarrior:
    1) Nokia CodeWarrior
    2) 2nd Edition SDK FP 3
    3) Active Perl 5.8

That's what I have and everything works perfectly.

Regular Contributor

Hi mpierettis, Paul.Todd and Nokia Ron
    Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.
    I'm afraid I can't re-install my computer. I'm working from home and my girl friend will kill me if something will get lost (somethings always do - don't they).
    I tried to repeat the cleaning process but it didn't work again. Currently I have:
    1. SDK 2.0 for Symbian OS - Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Symbian OS
    2. S60 Developer tools - 3rd edition SDK
    3. ActivePerl 5.6

and of course, I try to install CodeWarrior_Personal_Edition_31.exe

Any ideas? Inthe meanwhile I work with Carbide.C++

B.T.W. does anynody know how to enable on-target debugging for S60 phones using carbide???

Thanks
    Imzadi

Hi, Write me in a private mail (address is in my signature) I need to know exactly what Windows OS you are running and may need some other information on your syste that you wouldn't want known publicly. There is a way to remove this but it involves modifying the registry.

Ron