Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

J2ME > javacard communication (JSR 177)

Hello,

Sorry for my english,
    I'm a french student and I'm developping a middlet which has to communicate with a smartcard applet. I have developped the middlet using the Nokia Prototype SDK 4.0 for java ME. In the emulator, everything seems to be fine (except an exception because no smartcard is available) but when I put the middlet in my mobile (Nokia E61) I get an exception :
    exception JAVA : "javax.microedition.io.ConnectionNotFoundException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com/symbian/midp/io/protocol/apdu/Protocol"

Can Anybody confirm to me that the mobile (E61) is compatible with all the package of the JSR177?
    Is it possible to establish a connexion between the nokia simulator and a PCSC smartcard reader? How?

Jeremy

Re: J2ME > javacard communication (JSR 177)

I'm afraid of that not being possible yet. Check the Series 60 3rd Edition doc below, it states features related to SATSA-CRYPTO only.

Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition: What's New for Developers
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n....1_en.pdf.html

"3.2 Security And Trust Services API (JSR-177)
    The Security and Trust Services API extends the security features of Java™ 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2ME™) through the addition of cryptographic APIs, digital signature service, and user credential management."

Also, Nokia's SATSA guide is CRYPTO related:

MIDP: SATSA Crypto API Developer's Guide (With Example) v1.1
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_1.zip.html

BR

Thank you for your answer but another document says that S60 3rd edition supports the JSR 177 and that SATSA-APDU Optional package is implemented:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._2_en.pdf.html

Jeremy

Hi jeremy.carre,

You're right, I overlooked this doc and information:

5.3 Security and Trust Services, JSR-177 (3rd Edition)

S60 3rd Edition supports JSR-177, Security and Trust Services API. The Security and Trust Services API specification defines an optional package for the J2ME platform and provides security and trust services to J2ME applications by integrating a Security Element (SE). The Security and Trust Services API provides the necessary mechanisms to support a wide variety of application-based services that rely on the interaction with an SE for secure storage and execution.

The following optional packages of the specification are implemented:

SATSA-PKI optional package defines an API to support application-level digital
    signature and basic user credential management. To provide broader reuse, this
    API is independent of the type of SEs.

SATSA-CRYPTO optional package defines a subset of the J2SE™ (Java™ 2
    Platform, Standard Edition) cryptography API. It provides basic cryptographic
    operations to support signature verification, encryption, and decryption.

SATSA-APDU optional package defines an API to support communication with
    smart card applications using the APDU protocol.

We need to make sure of how Nokia considers SATSA comprised packs, mainly because several JSRs have one or more packages implemented separately on devices, sometimes.

Let's see if a Nokia Expert working with E61 will be helping you then...

BR

Super Contributor

Hi Jeremy, sorry this took a while to sort out, but 3rd Edition has only PKI and CRYPTO supported. ADPU is not implemented.The document you referred needs to be updated in that regard.

Hartti

Hi,

I was right then. Thanks for clarifying Hartti!

BR

Hi,

thank you for the response.
    Do you know if SATSA-APDU package will be available soon?

Jeremy

another question:
    Is it possible possible to establish a connexion between Nokia simulator and a PCSC smart card reader? How?

Super Contributor

Hi Jeremy, I do not know which product will be the first to have APDU. Sorry

Hartti

Hi Hartti,

Does the SATSA-PKI component support WIM as the security element? If yes, how?

Best Regards,
    STSK

Exists any mobile phone withe SATSA and APDU support nokia, benq or something else?

Greetings from Germany

Hannes

As of now there is no symbian device that has SATSA-APDU package implemented. I am also eagerly waiting for one...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy.carre
    Hello,

Sorry for my english,
    I'm a french student and I'm developping a middlet which has to communicate with a smartcard applet. I have developped the middlet using the Nokia Prototype SDK 4.0 for java ME. In the emulator, everything seems to be fine (except an exception because no smartcard is available) but when I put the middlet in my mobile (Nokia E61) I get an exception :
    exception JAVA : "javax.microedition.io.ConnectionNotFoundException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com/symbian/midp/io/protocol/apdu/Protocol"

Can Anybody confirm to me that the mobile (E61) is compatible with all the package of the JSR177?
    Is it possible to establish a connexion between the nokia simulator and a PCSC smartcard reader? How?

Jeremy

hey jeremy! i am myself develloping a midlet that has to be launched OTA and that needs to use security provided by the sim card...did you have any luck develloping your application? let me know. i will have to apologize for my english as i am also a french speaking student living in dakar.

> Is it possible to establish communation between nokia emulator and PC/SC reader?
    I did not use nokia SDK to develop midlets which work with smart-card - I use Sun's WTK. I suppose that nokia has the same WTK with SATSA (JSR 177) inside it's package.
    So as for WTK with SATSA there you can establish connection between emulator of a phone and emulator of smartcard (jcwde or cref from Sun java card development kit). Besides there's a proxy which allows to communicate with smart-card directly from your midlet using SATSA (JSR 177) - it acts like a java card emulator but forwards everything to and from real smart-card. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/javacard-proxy/

Hi alToS,

Thanks for posting about the JavaCard Proxy project, very interesting indeed.

WTK is on my desk as well so I hope to have some free time to test it soon, I will return with doubts if needed

Kind regards,

Juarez Jr
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil