First let me preface this post by saying that I'm an advanced PHP web developer, digital artist and composer, who just got a new Nokia 6235i. I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this type of post, but I'm totally baffled at the complexity of this whole field of SMS information that I've been digging through over the last few days.

All I want to do is get a midi file and/or jpg of my own design on my own phone. Alltel (my carrier) tech support says it can't be done, but clearly that's baloney. Maybe it can't be done by the "average joe" - after all, I paid Sony Music Box $2.99 and got both a .midi file and a .jpg wallpaper so I don't understand why I am not allowed to send one of my own. I have a jpg and a midi file ready to go -- I just didn't plan on a 2-week development time frame to accomplish this seemingly simple task. But I'm up for a good challenge...

The first thing I did was tried sending an email with an attachment but of course that fails, just sends a text message, not an SMS or MMS or Nokia Picture or whatever.

I have access to a PHP web server with CURL and OpenSSL, and I've used these things before, so I figure I ought to be able to upload my midi file and jpg file, parse it to binary or hex or whatever, from a custom PHP script, but I'm having trouble finding and deciphering the requirements.

Maybe someone could point me to some resources that I missed.

Do I need the Nokia s40 dev kit to do this? Why isn't the 2.0 Audio Suite available in the USA?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
www.salientdigital.com