Discussion Board

SDK paths to "z:" drive

Hi,

Going by the manual I was trying to create my first Symbian Carbide.vs project.
    Right after enabling the SDK (s60 3) I suddenly got a dialog box saying "Can not save AddIn properties to file z:\Carbide_vs\properties.xml". The reason for this is that drive z: is a network drive I'm disconnected from for a long time. I must mention that since I installed both Visual Studio AND Carbide.vs I was always DISCONNECTED from this network.

Anyway, how could this have happened (taking in account that as far as V. Studio and Carbide.vs are concerned z:/ has never been connected)?

And more important how and where could I change the place of properties.xml (and maybe other files I'll be needing in the future as well) to an existing path?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by galos1; 2006-03-31 at 00:10.

SDK paths to "z:" drive

Additional data:
    This problem happens also with SDK 2 FP3.
    There are many .ni files and even .h and .cpp files of these two SDKs that have various files/files hard coded to drive "z:".

It looks as if something was wronglfully hard coded/configured to the weird "z:" drive - can ANYONE help me???
    Last edited by galos1; 2006-03-31 at 09:02.

Super Contributor

Re: Creating my first Carbide.vs project / Changing path for properties.xml file

The properties.xml file is put into the users $(HOMEDRIVE)$(HOMEPATH), check your settings for those and correct them if they are not set up correctly.

Re: Creating my first Carbide.vs project / Changing path for properties.xml file

Please see the second post I've added - it's a much bigger problem (many other files point to z:\).
    And also - I must say I discovered this registry key myself yesterday , changed it (to c:\) and still the problem remained (still trying to write to z:\).

Super Contributor

I think you might be mixing up 2 things here, the issue with properties.xml has nothing to do with the z: in the Symbian .cpp code. It seems from you comment that infact your HOMEDRIVE was incorrectly set, changing that should fix the properties issue, did it?

Now for the code, on a Symbian phone (even though you do not normally "see" it) there are disk drives, one of which is called "z:". This has nothing to do with a possible z: drive on your PC. When you run the code on the emulator, the emulator will provide the application with a virtual z: drive where the things that would be on the z: drive in the phone are found. So it is OK to have all those z:s in the code.. A good book or similar on Symbian internals will explain more. Whatever you do, don't change the z. drive in the code.

Dear Mitts,

I have ALREADY tried changing the HOMEDRIVE and it FAILED to help!
    Also, I saw "z:" drives not only in .cpp and .h fiels but also in .ini files - is this normal as well?

Anyway, the original problem (preperties.xml) I encountered has NOT been corrected yet! I would appreciate another solution...

Super Contributor

Well, it depends on the .ini file, but yes, a number of those have z: in them as well.

For the properties.xml, if you changed the HOMEDRIVE, the error message should have changed, what is it now?

The error message has NOT changed. It still says the same (with "z:" drive)...

Super Contributor

Go to command line and give the command "set", can you post the output?

Here's the output:

ALLUSERSPROFILE=F:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=F:\Documents and Settings\galos\Application Data
    CLIENTNAME=Console
    CommonProgramFiles=F:\Program Files\Common Files
    ComSpec=F:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    HOMEDRIVE=F:
    HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\galos
    INCLUDE=F:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\include\
    LIB=F:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Lib\
    LOGONSERVER=\\EEMAINC
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\Tools;C:\Perl\bin\;F:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\bin;C:\Nokia\Carbide_j\bin;F:\WINDOWS\system32;F:\WINDOWS;F:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;F:\Nokia\Update_Manager\bin;F:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=000a
    ProgramFiles=F:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SystemDrive=F:
    SystemRoot=F:\WINDOWS
    TEMP=F:\DOCUME~1\galos\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TMP=F:\DOCUME~1\galos\LOCALS~1\Temp
    USERDOMAIN=EED
    USERNAME=galos
    USERPROFILE=F:\Documents and Settings\galos
    VS71COMNTOOLS=F:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Tools\
    windir=F:\WINDOWS

Super Contributor

OK, so your whole system seems to be on the F:-drive, I guess that drive does exist and you do have write access to it as your system seems to be running.. With those settings it should put the properties.xml into F:\..., can't see anything wrong here..

Where are your SDKs and Symbian OS projects, are they on the F:-drive as well?

The SDKs and Symbian OS projects are on the c: drive but it's ok with me if everything will be written on the f: drive.
    Only the z: drive is a problem as far as I'm concerned since it doesn't exist.

Super Contributor

Well, as I said, "z:" in the .cpp code etc. is no issue, this is how Symbian works and the z: in this case has no relation to any physical drive on your PC.

With your current settings the only thing that *should* end up on the F:disk, to be more precise in F:\Documents and Settings\galos\Carbide_vs, is the properties.xml file. With you current settings it should end up there, I see no explanation why it is being pushed to the Z:-drive, but this has nothing to do with the z:s in the code.

The last place to check is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment where the permanent setting for homedrive should be..

As I formerly medntioned I did track the registry keys that were marked "z:" (HOMEDRIVE inside "Volatile Environment) and changed them to "c:" - with no effect on the problem.

Anything else?

Super Contributor

Except that you should probably not change to C: (as the HOMEPATH does not exist on that drive), all else looks fine, sorry I don't understand what is the problem..