Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Jad is corrupted and Jar is invalid !!!

Hi,
    I have developped a pretty simple midlet that retrieves images from a webserver. It only has a few features and should be working on the most terminals as it uses almost only MIDP1 apis. Still there are some MIDP2 features so I declared the application this way.

Everything was going fine but after one building, my phone wouldn't accept anymore to download the midlet. I have a Samsung D720(S60) but I also tested on a N90 and I have been reported it didn't work on a 6630 as well. On the other side Sams D600 and Qtek 8310 don't want of the Jad file but they do install the Jar file.

I think have read every topic in forum nokia and elsewhere. My jad and manifest comply to the specs and there are all the required fields.

I'm running out of ideas so I really need your help.

You can find the jar and jad at this address:
    http://wapcamer.free.fr/download.php

Thanks in advance

PS: I tried to remove every unnecessary field both in the jad and manifest to avoid errors. I built the suite using ant task, but packaging is more or less different (similar) from the nokia samples. Of course it runs fine on the wtk emulator....
    [url]http://wapcamer.free.fr[/url]

Super Contributor

Re: Jad is corrupted and Jar is invalid !!!

No signing is involved, or is it?
    Jason Glass
    http://IChiBanComputers.Com

Super Contributor

I think it is easier to start debugging the problem if you think/tell exactly what you did between the one build which worked and the one build which did not work? Did you add some features/code, did you add some resource files, did you use obfuscator...

Hartti

Super Contributor

yeah, 6630 TMobile USA, also throws jad error, "invlalid file, unable to install"

ditto the jar, but man, it is not downloading like normal, i.e. usually you get an installer screen, this does not even begin to show the installer screen

BTW: the page takes a bit to load, and have to scroll alot.
    Last edited by Jason Glass; 2006-03-31 at 05:26.
    Jason Glass

Super Contributor

ahh dude,

I changed the jar files manifest to
    MIDlet-Version: 0.1.5

from

MIDlet-Version: 0.125

and the jar installed fine on the Nokia emulator

and installed fine on the nokia 6630, by copying it to device, the jar that is

it also states MIDlet-Version: 0.125 in jad, so maybe thats screwin it up to, beware some devices, like RIM, use four digits

but I dont know that they would care, just look funny in software list

so it should work for yeah, damn ANT automation!
    Jason Glass

Jason and Harti, thank you so much for replying.
    I wish I could tell you exactly what has gone wrong between one successfull build and the unsuccessfull one, but I really can't. It's like you're doing the same thing as the day before, but it juste decides it won't go further...
    Anyway the midlet version may be a good clue. Maybe going from 1.99 to 1.100 was the reason it failed.
    I find it pretty mean from jam editors to build their jams so that you don't even have a way to find the reason of an installation failure.
    Anyaways....

I'm sorry for the webpage, it's not convenient to load from a mobile because it's the download page of my project. Whenever I have time left, I will do a wap page with the minimum content.

Could you also find something about the corrupt jad?
    I will try asap and let you know.

Thank you again for considering my issue

Hi,
    Jason you were indeed right.
    I changed the version number to 1.0 and now, both jad and jar install corectly.
    Thank you so much !!

It's anyway a weird issue, as I've never read anywhere that midlet-version field had restrictions.
    What did you mean with RIM's 4 digits? The field has to be max 4 digits? E.g. 1.12 should work but not 1.125 ? I will check further when I'm back home...

Now I have another issue that just cam up on the phones I have at work: the icon declared in jad and jar now displays 1/4th its size in the upper left corner, rather than taking all the room available (both of my test phones are SEries60). It's not such a big problem compared to the previous one, but I never saw that behaviour before.

Thank you again, since at least now, people can install the app.

Super Contributor

About the icon, the icon you are using (res/camera.png) is 10x12. The icon size on Series 60 devices is larger. I do not remember the exact number off the top of my head, but you should be able to find it in the documentation.

Hartti

Super Contributor

soory bout confusion, I meant on RIM, which is aside the point, that Versions can be 1.2.3.4, instead of 1.2.3 or 1.2

Not sure on the icon, but evryone has issues with icons it seems, i need to hurry up and try using one, so then I will know what the heck I am talking about

glad it is working!

PS: your interface looked good, but the app didnt connect to internet, I imagine this is because I left the server field unchanged, i.e. empty?

it did prompt to allow disallow it, but when allowed, it didnt prompt for Access point to use, as normal on 6630.
    Jason Glass

Sorry for my late reply, I don't have internet access anymore at home... and still have to work at work !!

Jason: Indeed you have to provide a server adress in the server field. This server is supposed to serve an image grabbed from your webcam via the WapcamServer. For test purpose you can also try to connect to whatever server (or an IP camera). Please pay attention that the midlet automatically adds '/' between the server field and the directory field. For example, if you have :
    server: myserver.com
    dir: mypath/image.jpeg
    then the constructed request will be http://myserver.com/mypath/image.jpeg

Btw, Jason you tried to contact a few weeks ago, I replied to your message (from my wapcamer account regarding dev on samsung devices) but did not get a reply... Do you have issues you want to discuss with me?

Jason and Hartti:
    Regarding the icon size, that is weird. Til then (as long as I could test my application) the logo displayed with a normal size, ie same size as other icons. It has just begun to go 1/4th its size with Jason's fix about the version number.
    I have seen on the forum there are several people experiencing problems with icons ans S60. Maybe is there a global bug on S60 ?

Anyway, so far, thank you so much for your help. It has spared a big big headache.

Super Contributor

esteinitz, what I meant with the icon size is that the file itself contains only image of size 10x12. You should really make the image itself bigger. I think 42 x 29 would be closer to the right size.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

I had this kind of error before. I fixed it. My mistake was that I changed the Versionnumber format. The version number I typed in was 1.0de for the first german version of my app. I belive that the error is in the jad - File. This is relevant if you change the app information using the Nokia Developer Suite. If you edit the jad file via ASCII Editor this error can also accure.

Hi,
    Mr lPinguin, I think that in your case as in mine, JAM applications don't stand 3 digits after the dot in the Midlet-Version field. I fixed it according to Jason Glass by changing that field.

Hartti you are right, I should try giving an icon that's bigger. But I still wonder why the icon previously displayed fitting the icon space, and now seems to be its real size. As if the icon was resized to fit the typical icon size on S60...

Unfortunatly, as I said, I have very little time now to make tries, but I will ...

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by esteinitz
    Hi,
    Mr lPinguin, I think that in your case as in mine, JAM applications don't stand 3 digits after the dot in the Midlet-Version field. I fixed it according to Jason Glass by changing that field.

Hartti you are right, I should try giving an icon that's bigger. But I still wonder why the icon previously displayed fitting the icon space, and now seems to be its real size. As if the icon was resized to fit the typical icon size on S60...

Unfortunatly, as I said, I have very little time now to make tries, but I will ...

Greetings
    Last edited by anil_b; 2006-05-15 at 16:48.

did you find a solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by esteinitz
    Hi,

Greetings
    Last edited by anil_b; 2006-05-15 at 16:50.