Discussion Board

Can't make sis file

I'm a begginer with Carbide and try to Build 'Hello world' project.
    The SDK selected is S60 2nd FP2 CW.
    No problem if I work in Emulator Debug mode. The Emulator opens when I build in S60 2.6 Emulator, and all works fine.
    Then I change 'build configuration' to S60 2.6 ARMI release and try to Build in order to make the 'sis' file.
    In the Project->Run... option I can't create a new configuration for ARMI release. It appears a 'Program is not recognized executable' message and I can only work with S60 2.6 Phone Emulator Debug.

In this case, a message error appears if I try to Run the project: file not found
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\system\apps\berton\berton.aif"
    -"!:\system\apps\berton\berton.aif" in the berton.pkg file

Can anybody explain me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Can't make sis file

You cannot run a project from within Codewarrior on a S60 2nd edition as there is no on-target debugging available.

Secondly, if you build your project at the command line it will build the missing resource aif. Newer updates to CW fix this problem.
    Last edited by billbonney; 2006-03-30 at 22:19.

Super Contributor

If you use Carbide.c++, when you have .pkg file on your workspace, the IDE will create a .sis file automatically for you. You can transfer the .sis file to your phone via BT/USB, then install it on your device.

Antony

Quote Originally Posted by antonypr
    If you use Carbide.c++, when you have .pkg file on your workspace, the IDE will create a .sis file automatically for you. You can transfer the .sis file to your phone via BT/USB, then install it on your device.

Antony
    Hi Antony,

As I explain in last e-mail, the problem is that IDE can't generate .sis file because there is a error when I try to compile in ARMI release.
    The file '.aif' mentioned in the .pkg does not exist and I don't know the way to create it.
    Billbonney says that I have to build from command line in order to build the resource .aif .
    Is it possible to do it automatically from the IDE?
    If not, how can I create the .aif from command line?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

You are right in that you should be able to build it from the Codewarrior IDE and I can do this with Codewarrior 3.1 OEM.

You can also build the AIF file at the command line using 'abld resource armi'. The reason i mention to do this is that there is a problem with older version of CW that didn't build resources.

You can check if the aif has been build by looking at directory e.g. for the hellowordbasic application it's location is D:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\Data\z\system\apps\HELLOWORLDBASIC

The issue you seem to be highlighting is the creation of the installable sisx package and if it can find the appropriate file. There seems to be a problem in that the path has to be absolute or relative i.e "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\system\apps\berton\berton.aif" needs to be re-written as "D:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\epoc32\data\z\system\apps\berton\berton.aif" or "..\..\..\epoc32\data\z\system\apps\berton\berton.aif" depneding on the location of your files.. the substitution of the epocroot variable does not work as it did on earlier releases.

Hope this helps

Thank you billbonney for wasting your time answering my novice questions.
    As you said, my problem is that I'm unable to create .sis file (incredible if it is a failure of the IDE)

The problem itself is that there is no .aif file. Neither the "EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\system\apps\berton" nor "C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\epoc32\data\z\system\apps\berton\" directory contains the .aif file.
    The only file found in this directory is the bertonaif.rsc file so the problem is not the path.
    Is the "abld" the only way to solve this problem?

Thank you again

Super Contributor

There is no problem building the .aif file with Carbide and there is no reason to use command line for that so let's see why you are having an issue..

How did you create your project, from a template or by importing? From the issue I suspect that you might have imported it. In Carbide, building the .aif file is controlled with an .aifdef file. If you import a project you must add the .aifdef file to the project, there is a special wizard for that. Once you have added the .aifdef to the project, the build step to build the .aif file will be automatically added to your project and - if the aifdef file is correctly set up - the .aif file for the project will be built.

Quote Originally Posted by mitts
    There is no problem building the .aif file with Carbide and there is no reason to use command line for that so let's see why you are having an issue..

How did you create your project, from a template or by importing? From the issue I suspect that you might have imported it. In Carbide, building the .aif file is controlled with an .aifdef file. If you import a project you must add the .aifdef file to the project, there is a special wizard for that. Once you have added the .aifdef to the project, the build step to build the .aif file will be automatically added to your project and - if the aifdef file is correctly set up - the .aif file for the project will be built.
    Hi again, and hello Mitts

I create my project by using the wizard.
    I select "C++ Application for S60 Project" and "S60 2.x Hello world GUI application" (my phone is a 6630).
    Today I noticed a strange issue. It doesn't matter what path I select in Project contents (the second window in the wizard) that always generate the project in "C:\Documents and settings\my account\Symbian\"

After this, I select in Build configuration the "S60 2.6 Emulator Debug", create a new configuration in order to debug it (Run --> Debug...) and launch the Debug. The emulator works fine. I can see the application running and I can debug it.

The problem begins when I try to create the .sis file to test it on my phone.
    I select "S60 2.6 Phone (ARMI) Release" in the "Build Configurations" pane and create a new configuration in Run-->Debug..., named "helloworld S60 2.6 Phone (ARMI) Release".
    At this point, a error message appears in this window "Program does not exist" and I have to select "Search Project" button to select the Binary ("helloworld_S60_2_6_Emulator_Debug.app")

Finally, I Build the project with this options and get the "file not found" error in the "Problems" window:

"$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\system\apps\helloworld\helloworld.aif" -"!:\system\apps\helloworld\helloworld.aif"

This error is found in the helloworld.pkg file in the last line, where the helloworld.aif path is specified. There is no .aif file in this directory and .sis file is not created.
    If I check the Console window after building the project, I see surprised that "pearl" tries to find the "helloworldAif.rss" in the path I select at the beginning in the wizard (and were not created).

Another problem is found when invoking the MAKESIS application:
    makesis.exe "sis/helloworld.pkg" C:/Documents
    I thing the problem is the path name because it tries to open the .pkg file in a incomplete name directory (C:/Documents and Settings/my account/Symbian/helloworld)

Is this the problem? How can I solve it?
    I hope this explanation will help you
    Thanks in advance.

I hope this explanation will help you
    Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Ah, so you should first read the Install Guide or http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=74925, the first problem is that you have selected a bad workspace, ie one with blanks in the dir/path name. The first thing to do is to change your workspace and then try again. The workspace will be empty so you need to create a new project.

Next you should read the Help on how to deploy to a phone, for a phone .app/.exe you do not do Run.. or Debug.. on the exe, you install PC Suite and then you install the software on a phone using PC Suite app installer (this is activated by double-clicking on the .sis file once created).

The third thing you should do is to learn how to use the Carbide/Eclipse Output and Problems views, as long as these show errors you should not expect things to work..

A nice tutorial can be found here: http://www.symbianone.com/content/view/3027/

Thank you mitts

I'm gonna change the workspace name (without spaces) and try to build a new project.

I've installed many .sis files on my phone using the PC Suite so I know the way to do it. I hope I can build my first .sis this evening.

Thank you very much for your fast response.
    I'll keep you informed with the solution.

Hello again,

For the very first time with Carbide, I have the HelloWorld application running im my 6630!!!!!
    As mitts explain, the problem was the spaces in the workspace name. What a headache with this issue.

Thank you again

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mahg
    Hello again,

For the very first time with Carbide, I have the HelloWorld application running im my 6630!!!!!
    As mitts explain, the problem was the spaces in the workspace name. What a headache with this issue.

Thank you again
    Yes, spaces in workspaces isn't quite a nice suggestion in Symbian environments. We've changed future editions to default to suggesting a location without spaces. This is quite a headache for new users.

Tim