Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Nokia File Manager and Flash Lite 2.0

When you have flash swf files that access text/xml files, I noticed that the text/xml files do not load when swf files are clicked from the Nokia File Manager. This occurrs on 6630, 6680, and N90. However, when you use FEExplorer or the Flash player to open the swf files, the swf files are able to load the text/xml files properly.

What could be causing this? My first impression is that this is a Nokia File manager problem

Re: Nokia File Manager and Flash Lite 2.0

What about fact that security might be a problem? Generally flash player has tough security restrictions. So a restriction might be the fact to prevent auto loading of text/xml files so that the app cannot read unwanted (i mean sensitive!!) data automatically unless explicitly stated t o do so, which is usually what happens when we invoke the files THROUGH the player or FEExplorer.
    The reason FEExplorer can do so is, i think, that it must be starting the player in a higher security domain whereas Nokia FileManager mightnot be doing so.

In case you haven't noticed, the Symbian OS is typically like Windows with almost the same architecture. Just plugin the MMC card of a S60 device into MMC reader and observe and tweak.

I think this should be the answer.

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Nokia File Manager and Flash Lite 2.0

Thanks for your explanation but it does not solve the problem. I have been active in Flash Developer Forums as well and this was a problem there and I just want to voice this out here.

If your company is a Forum Nokia Pro member, you may have noticed that Flash Lite 2.0 players are free for company employees. Since Flash and Nokia seem to be offering services together and that you can trigger your swf file by just clicking on it from the Nokia File Manager, it would be awkward to suddenly make users open the Flash player first or install and run FEExplorer first for certain text reading apps. The Flash player also cannot browse all directories. I would be losing some of my market just because users could not make an swf file run from the Nokia File Manager. It will not be as user friendly as simply clicking on it. I am not sure if this is completely a Nokia File Manager problem or the Flash player not being able to browse all directories. Since I am in a Nokia Forum, I might as well discuss the Nokia side first and then discuss Flash in Macromedia forums.

If security would be a problem, would reading text files be an issue? I have checked Flash func. I may be wrong but I have not seen any file writing func yet.

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

why would you want to launch a flash lite app from the Nokia File Explorer?

The issue that you see if a security block. For example Flash Lite 2.0 Shared Objects do not work if you execute your Flash Lite app from the inbox. So I am guessing is a similar situation.

Alessandro

Regular Contributor

Talking Re: Nokia File Manager and Flash Lite 2.0

Hello Alessandro,

Thanks for continuing this discussion a bit further

The reason that I want a Flash app to be executed from the Nokia File Manager because a regular cell phone user would not know that you would need to save your Flash app in the "C:\Other" or "E:\Other" dir if you want to open your swf file after running Flash Lite player first. So the scenario that my non-technical boss pointed out was that, he should be able to save the swf file anywhere on his phone and he should be able to click on it as easy as playing an mp3 file. The user should not need to install other apps like FExplorer to be able to run the swf file anywhere on your phone.

I think that we are in a similar situation. And I really like the scenario you pointed out about being able to execute flash apps from your inbox. Anything that makes Flash apps as easy to use as a regular symbian app or as 3gpp or audio content is good for Flash business You gave me more ideas. I will post some of this in Flash Forums as well when I get the time to do so.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Regular Contributor

Talking Re: Nokia File Manager and Flash Lite 2.0

Hello Alessandro,

I checked http://www.flashmobilegroup.org/ and it seems that you are some important person there. So does that mean that I am talking to the right person?

Just to push this discussion a bit further, I may be wrong about this but should the solution to that problem would be either of the ff:

1. Nokia File Manager/Inbox or whatever similar Nokia server/client apps allow flash apps to be run as long as user grants the app permission to do so

2. Macromedia needs to find some way override security restrictions and play flash apps just like what FExplorer is doing.

For an N90 phone, when swf files are clicked from Nokia File Explorer, the XML.load() executes 50% of the time while it does not work for lower nokia phones like 6680, 6630. I have not tried testing on an N70 though. The Flash Lite Players I used were obtained only last month.

Ryan

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Ryan,

I am the manager of the Adobe Mobile User Group of Boston. Send me an email to the Adobe Mobile User Group so that you cna join the UG. Also you can check my blog at: www.biskero.org

I think the solution to your problem is a more "Symbian" friendly. You need to create a sis packaging file which contains the swf. This way you can create an icon on the main menu which will launch your swf.

I use swf2sis software from Blue Sky North. Really simple to use, it let you include the icon.

sis files are the standard way to distribute application for symbian phones. For the symbian 3rd edition require a "signing" process. You can check more details on the Symbian.com site.

Alessandro

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Nokia File Manager and Flash Lite 2.0

Hello Alessandro,

I will be happy to join your user group

Thanks for the swf2sis answer. I think that is the solution to this problem or any other app that does what swf2sis file does. I know that you should use sis files for distributing apps to symbian phones. You can check my posts. I am usually active at Symbian C++ discussion boards. I just posted in a different group now because I could not see any other place here where you can post about Flash Lite.

I just had a different view about Flash Lite apps in the sense that they are more of mobile content rather than apps in comparison to Symbian C++ or J2ME apps altho I find that developing in Flash is easier than J2ME or Symbian C++. I may be wrong though but this discussion might be better continued in a Flash Developer Forum

Ryan

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Ryan,

I asked the Nokia Forum to create a Flash Lite Forum, so we will see.
    About Flash Lite you can create fully functional application so I see it as a technology with some limitations similar to J2ME and C++.
    Ofcourse there are differences, but as you know the development is so much easier and faster that makes development increadibly interesting.
    Send an email to flashmobilegroup at gmail dot com to join the UG.

Thanks
    Alessandro