Discussion Board

N70: System.out redirection tool (Ecmt and RedMIDlet).

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get the System.out redirect functionality working on the N70? I have followed the instructions detailed in:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...50905.pdf.html.

But I cannot get it to work.

What I did on the N70 and PC

N70 : Installed S60_2nd_FP3_MIDP_SDK\Series60Tools\ecmt\Ecmt.SIS to N70. Launched My own->Ecmt . Displays the following messages: "Started (Server is running)" and "Listening (Bluetooth)".
    PC : Configured the Bluetooth serial port to connect to the N70.
    PC : Started S60_2nd_FP3_MIDP_SDK\bin\epoc32\tools\ecmt\run_dct.cmd. Selected the COM port of the Bluetooth serial port and clicked the Connect button.
    PC : My Bluetooth Places -> Nokia N70 Serial port shows the Bluetooth Connection Status. It shows that the Status is Connected, bytes are being sent and received and the Signal Strength is good.
    N70 : Ecmt MIDlet then displays "Connected (Bluetooth)".
    PC : On the Device Connection Provider tool clicked Diagnostics. The Diagnostics window appears showing SystemOut and TaskManager windows.
    N70 : Started RedMIDlet.jar (while leaving Ecmt running in the background). Message "Allow application RedMIDlet to read user data?" appears. Clicked "Yes" and RedMIDlet exits.
    PC : The message "Redirector MIDlet: redirection is started" does NOT appear in the Diagnostics view, as it should.
    N70 : Launched my MIDlet which contains System.out commands, but nothing appears in the Diagnostics SystemOut view. The TaskManager view shows the changing CPU Usage and the CPU Usage History.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Has anyone got this working correctly?

Thanks,
    Therese.

Re: N70: System.out redirection tool (Ecmt and RedMIDlet).

Hi all,

I'm updating my question with the solution that I discovered (by accident!) on the N70, in case anybody else happens to have the same problem and searches for a solution (e.g. http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...highlight=ecmt)

Go to "Menu -> Tools -> App. manager -> RedMIDlet -> Options -> Suite settings -> Edit user data".
    Make sure this is set to "Ask every time". Mine was set to "Not allowed".

Now, when I start RedMIDlet.jar (in the steps above), I get the following prompts:

"Allow application RedMIDlet to read user data?" -> Select Yes (previously, RedMIDlet just quit after this).
    "Allow application RedMIDlet to write user data?" -> Select Yes
    "Allow application RedMIDlet to use network and send or receive data?" -> Select Yes

The output "Redirector MIDlet: redirection is started" then appears in the Diagnostics SystemOut window and when I start my MIDlet I see all System.out.print trace in the same window. Great!

Hi,

I'm trying a similar thing on the 6600. The Ecmt_Agent_...sis from the 3rd edition gives me "file is corrupt". Ecmt.sis installs and the redmidlet installs, but I have no choice for read user data permsissions (the only option for that permission is "not allowed").

Any Ideas?

Super Contributor

6600 is Nokia 2nd Edition phone, the utility requires a newer phone.

Hartti

Hi,

I also had to set:
    "Menu -> Tools -> App. manager -> RedMIDlet -> Options -> Suite settings -> Write user data" to "ask every time" in order to execute RedMIDlet.
    Note that somtimes it is not possible to do that (and "not alloed" is the only option you have) if particular security options are setted.
    For example, I have setted

"Menu -> Tools -> App. manager -> Options -> Settings -> On line verification cert" to "Positive" in order to change the previous "write user data" to "ask every time".

After that the REDMIDlet on my N70 phone works and the:
    "Redirector MIDlet: redirection is started" appears
    in diagnostic panel.

Bye,
    EC