Discussion Board

EPOCSTACKSIZE related questions

1) Is there a project setting in Carbide.c++ Express for the epoc stack size?

2) In the mmp file you can set this to a custom value via EPOCSTACKSIZE; does the import functionality of Carbide.c++ adopt this value into the project settings?

3) What is the default epoc stack size for a new 3rd edition project created with Carbide.c++ Express?

Super Contributor

Re: EPOCSTACKSIZE related questions

1) Is there a project setting in Carbide.c++ Express for the epoc stack size?

Yes, you set the stack size in the project properties for the target (GCCE) build. Go to Properties -> C/C++ Build, S60 3.0 Phone (GCCE) Release configuration, Post Linker -> General Options -> Stack size in bytes (format of number os hexa).

2) In the mmp file you can set this to a custom value via EPOCSTACKSIZE; does the import functionality of Carbide.c++ adopt this value into the project settings?

At least Express does not at this time.

3) What is the default epoc stack size for a new 3rd edition project created with Carbide.c++ Express?

Good question, actually Express as such does not set it, it is implicitely set by the elf tool, I don't know the default.

Hi,
    I'm using Nokia E-65, with S60 3rd Edition.
    When I browse websites with the in-built S60 Web-Browser, If it comes across a page with huge amount of data (say, large images etc), it gives a Kern-exec3 and exits. On searching through forums, I found that in general, the root cause may be stack-overflow (I guess it is set to 8 KB for a Symbian Application by default).And the same can be solved by setting the EPOCSTACKSIZE to a higher number (say 80KB) in the MMP file. I'm a newbie, and not really into S60 development.

Can I set the parameter/variable for S60 web-browser? I don't have the source of the application and even if it is available, i don't want to recompile it.

Many thanks in advance!

Nokia Developer Champion

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer Discussion boards.

I don't have the source of the application and even if it is available, i don't want to recompile it.
    In this case you can't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.M. View Post
    In this case you can't change anything.
    Actually, many of the settings controllable via MMP file keywords can be changed after compilation with the elftran tool. For example, stack size, heap size, UIDs, capabilities and so on. No recompilation needed.

Lauri

Nokia Developer Moderator

True, but that is something that application's developer does (and if that is needed will be really done through project's settings, before compilation) and not an end-user that thinks that modifying the browser binary is the solution to its problems.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-02-19 at 12:18. Reason: typo
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by laa-laa View Post
    Actually, many of the settings controllable via MMP file keywords can be changed after compilation with the elftran tool. For example, stack size, heap size, UIDs, capabilities and so on. No recompilation needed.
    Lauri, thank you for your clarification.

But I think that there is no way to change in-built S60 Web-Browser executable file.
    Last edited by A.A.M.; 2009-02-19 at 12:02.

How can i find my application stack size and heap size programatically ?.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The stack is thread specific, so RThread::StackInfo
    The heap can exist on its own, so there is a separate RHeap class. However your "current" heap can be also accessed via User, like User::Available, User::AllocSize.