Discussion Board

Compilation errors and warnings on Nokia series 60 3rd Edition

Hi All,

I am using Carbide.c++ to compiling my application but i am getting errors.

"The input line is too long.
    make: [clean] Error 255 (ignored)"

As we all know about the problem:

"The workaround is to build from the command-line and use the Symbian Executable Importer in Carbide to create a project for you. From there you can create a Launch Config and debug your application/sources. The build issue is a known core eclipse issue and we're looking to address it in the next release."

Ref : http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...=line+long+255

ok lets forget it. Now i am compiling it from the command prompt, i can see lot of warnings and error while compiliing.

D:\SandBox_91\eaxp\group>bldmake clean
    WARNING: Cannot determine the version of the RVCT Compiler.

D:\SandBox_91\eaxp\group>bldmake bldfiles
    WARNING: Cannot determine the version of the RVCT Compiler.WARNING: When building for ARMV5 platform Compiler RVCT2.2 or later is required.

D:\SandBox_91\eaxp\group>abld build winscw udeb
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EAXP WINSCW
    WARNING: Cannot determine the version of the RVCT Compiler.

MMPFILE "\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EAXP.MMP"
    WARNING: Frozen .DEF file \SandBox_91\eaxp\BWINS\eaxpU.DEF not found
    - project not frozen
    ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation
    WARNING: \SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EAXP.MMP(13) : USERINCLUDE path "\SandBox_91\eaxp\include\" not found

MIGRATION_NOTE: No Capabilities set in "\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EAXP.M
    MP" for TargetType: dll
    make: *** [MAKEFILEEAXP] Error 255
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\WINSCW.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EAXP\WINSCW\EAXP.WINSCW" LIBRARY
    make[1]: \Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EAXP\WINSCW\EAXP.WINSCW: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\SandBox_91\eaxp\group\EAXP\WINSCW\EAXP.WINSCW'. Stop.

My questions are;
    1) Is codewarrior IDE is require to compile the application from command prompt?
    2) Is Capabilities are required to compile the application?
    3) What is the reason for getting warning "Cannot determine the version of the RVCT Compiler" ? I am using Free compiler came with SDK for emulator.

Thanks for kind attention.
    Chetan

Super Contributor

Re: Compilation errors and warnings on Nokia series 60 3rd Edition

Well, if your project is so complex that you encounter the "Line too long" error, perhaps you should, for the time being, be using CodeWarrior in any case as it is the recommended and supported tool for advanced commercial development?

The S60 3.0 SDK no longer comes with the X86 compiler etc. that you need for WINSCW compilation, the Carbide.c++ Help -> Carbide.c++ C Compiler reference -> Command line tools -> Working with Environment Variables gives information on how to make the Carbide compiler available to command line as well.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by chitransh_chetan
    Hi All,

My questions are;
    1) Is codewarrior IDE is require to compile the application from command prompt?
    2) Is Capabilities are required to compile the application?
    3) What is the reason for getting warning "Cannot determine the version of the RVCT Compiler" ? I am using Free compiler came with SDK for emulator.

Thanks for kind attention.
    Chetan
    When the tools were written there were some compiler differences in IDE insatllations so it was expecting a variable that is created by CW. You can make this yourself:

CW_SYMBIAN_VERSION=3.1

(This is assuming your 'mwccsym2 -version' is at least 3.2.3 (not 2.4.7).)

Then you should be able to get by that error. When you call bldmake bldfiles it doesn't know that you don't want to build for ARMV5 so you get the warning. You can ignore it.

Tim

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by timm-ah
    When the tools were written there were some compiler differences in IDE insatllations so it was expecting a variable that is created by CW. You can make this yourself:

CW_SYMBIAN_VERSION=3.1

(This is assuming your 'mwccsym2 -version' is at least 3.2.3 (not 2.4.7).)
    I realized after seeing this problem again that the above solution is probably not correct for this scenario. If you get this error when building from the command-line:

ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation

Then you probably have never istalled CW or Carbide.vs. The problem is that the include paths for the WINSCW compiler need to be generarted from environement variables and can't becuase Carbide does not create them. Currently to workaround the problem you can install CW or Carbide.vs. There is a utility in these installations called 'evn_update.exe' that can set these variables for you dynamically.

Tim