Discussion Board

CodeWarrior build issues

Hi,

I have just made the transition from using VC++ to Codewarrior for Symbian development. I have an application that build perfectly both from the command line gcc complier and (once the project was created) from within the Dev Studio IDE. When I build the same code in the Codewarrior IDE and SDK I get problems.

First off it seems that Codewarrior is not compiling my resources correctly. What I observed was that I could build with no errors inside the IDE but when I launched the emulator my application now had the default application icon in the “Menu” application and it wouldn’t launch.

I read a recent thread on this forum where a number of people discussed build issues with resources and it seemed the bottom line was to build outside of CodeWarrior whenever a resource was changed and then go back to CodeWarrior to debug.

I can still build with no problems from the command line (using the CW version of the series 60 2.1 sp2 SDK) and run my application in the emulator from outside CW with no problems. However if I try to run my application from the emulator having built from the gcc command line the IDE crashes. If I try to rebuild from within the IDE and launch the emulator I see my application with the default icon again and it won’t run up.

Does anyone have any thoughts what may be the issue?

Best regards

PL

Re: CodeWarrior build issues

Quote Originally Posted by petxolobo
    Hi,

I read a recent thread on this forum where a number of people discussed build issues with resources and it seemed the bottom line was to build outside of CodeWarrior whenever a resource was changed and then go back to CodeWarrior to debug.

PL
    Hi,

The main issue here is that resource files are included in bld.inf file . When you use CW IDE .mmp import it ignores bld.inf totally and uses only .mmp files to open the project to IDE. That is why resource files are not built. You can do it following way: first compile resources from command line and then you can start to use CW IDE and continue compilation from there.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by kriipine
    Hi,

The main issue here is that resource files are included in bld.inf file . When you use CW IDE .mmp import it ignores bld.inf totally and uses only .mmp files to open the project to IDE. That is why resource files are not built. You can do it following way: first compile resources from command line and then you can start to use CW IDE and continue compilation from there.
    The only place I have seen this to be true is on S60 3.0 where some resources are built via gnumakefile in the bld.inf file. There should not be issues building resources otherwise with CW.

Tim

Hi People,

My misery continues i´m afraid.

I have tried uninstalling the SDK and Codewarrior and then starting from scratch and all manner of other things but the same behaviour remains.

That is: if i compile (after a reallyclean) on the command line and then launch the debugger from outside of CW my application works fine. However if i then kill the emulator, launch CW and hit debug it recomplies my app prior to launching. This recompilation results in a dud application (ie default icon in the menu application and the app won´t run up, it won´t even hit the AppUi::ConstructL()).

I have even tried deleting the resource file from the project imported into CW so that CW doesn´t build the resources meaning that the resources previously compliled on the command line should get used. Still nothing.

I know that this is pretty flakey explanation of the problem but i really don´t have any more detail to add.

If anyone has encountered anything similar and has a suggestion on how to get past this i would be very grateful.

Best regards

PL