Discussion Board

Can we use the textmtm example for Symbian9.1 third edition?

I read from Release notes of S90.1 beta3 and noticed the following words:
    Symbian example applications
    --------------------
    Following Symbian example applications do not work properly
    - samplecode\messaging\textmtm\TXIN

I do try to make the textmtm example running on Symbian 9.1 3th edition, and encounter with many problems, after several days searching, I get part remedy(vs2003 + vs2.0.1)
    1. remark arguments for E32Dll(), it seems that TDllReason not use any more.
    2. change the format of resource file in mmp, since Symbian9, it is something like
    start resource source-file
    [target target-file-name]
    [targetpath targetpath]
    [header]
    [lang languages]
    [uid uid-value-1 [uid-value-2] ]
    end
    other than the original "systemresource somefilename.rss"
    and also disable the updateMmpFile feature in all projectname-SymbianOS-properties.xml, if not doing this, the modified resource format mmp file will be marked automatically, and result in failed to open some .rsg file error in VS2003.

After doing these, all project can compile OK except textmtmview, which throw out
    Error in linking: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    textmtmview : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'link.exe'.

I googled that and get a result that this is vs2.0.1's bug or something, and use command line to compile will work, but I am not so lucky to get the right result.

another thing is about the registeration reasouce file, which named txtdat.rss in root directory of textmtm, it is not included by any project so it is not automatically compiled, I tried to compile it manually in command line by "rcomp -stxtdat.rss -otxtdat.rsc", get nothing but a windows dialog which murmurs
    rcomp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience..

Any guys ever make this example run on Symbian9?

Best Regards
    bibu

Regular Contributor

Re: Can we use the textmtm example for Symbian9.1 third edition?

Hi

Unfortunately the example MTM is not ported to S60 3.0 yet. You can certainly use it to get started and also use the SDK help for some of the changes required due to platform security.

Some information in SDK Help
    » Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS guide » Messaging » Using Messaging Framework » Message Type Modules » Installation

Other changes are those related to porting a dll to S60 3.0, which include changes to MMP (start resource construct, change of path of resources of mtms, capabilities All -TCB required by MTMs), entry point E32Dll should be removed.

The MTM's registration file should be located in \resources\messaging\mtm\ directory and the UI/UI Data resource files and mbm in \resources\messaging.

Regards,
    Nitin

Thanks,Nitin, I can now sucessfully install TextMTM on my emulator, but what I want is not work properly. I just want to add a send menu in file exploring, like "send via bluetooth" does.

I add the following function define in txti.rss(which act as UI Data MTM)
    MTUD_FUNCTION { functiontext="Send to My Application";
    command=ETxtuCommandExportText;
    key='s';
    keymodifiers=EMtudCtrl;
    flags=EMtudCommandSendAs;}

inside MTUD_FUNCTION_ARRAY define.

and in derived MTM UI Data class's QueryCapability function, return ETrue for KUidMtmQueryCanSendMsgValue capability.

I put MTM registration rsc file in /resource/messaing/mtm directory
    Dll/Lib files in /sys/bin
    rsc file for MTM UI Data in /resource/messaging/ just as your directed,

but the send menu doesn't appear even once. which step is wrong? or I missed something? eager for your suggestion.

Thanks a lot,
    bibu

Regular Contributor

i have a similar problem. i want to show custom menu entries ( e.g. "mark read") when the user opened my entry point and hits the menu key.
    i fiddled around with TMtmUiFunction types and flags to no avail
    On series 80 i use EMtudCommandTransferReceive and they show up.
    on series60 i am not able to get that showing up at all. I suspect there might be undocumented function types or flags...

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmittal
    Hi
    Unfortunately the example MTM is not ported to S60 3.0 yet.
    So, SDK 3rd MR is released now, but there's still no MTM example included. Why???
    Is there any other "custom MTM for Symbian 9.1" example available on the Internet? Googling didn't help much...
    Last edited by metalim; 2006-08-14 at 23:39.

Regular Contributor

i don't think there is any other custom mtm example available. your best bet is still the existing old mtm example, and to modify it for s60 3rd... most of the stuff is still valid.
    I always wanted to port the textmtm example to s60 3rd and extend it a bit to make it a more complete example, unfortunately i never found the time so far... ( or the motivation :-)

regards
    --blizzz

I found partial solution, better than porting SDK2 example:
    Symbian has provided reference example in devkit (and of course I don't have access to that), but Nokia has removed it from examples as incompatible. But! UIQ hasn't (although it doesn't work on UIQ3 either). So I got UIQ3 SDK from http://developer.uiq.com/devtools_uiqsdk.html
    The one thing needed to be fixed is MTM UI, since it is Eikon-based, and there's little left of Eikon in s60 SDKs.
    The other thing is (@#$^$%!) capabilities. It's "recommended" to have "All -Tcb" capabilities on all components except Server-side MTM to be able to use MTM from any application, so it'll be a nightmare trying to get the program to production level.
    However, I found out (in emulator, by trial and error) that you really need only following from 3rd level (phone manufacturer) capabilities:
    NetworkControl - for Server-side MTM, (and for all others if you use "Send message" from phone menu);
    DRM - to use "Send" from the Gallery;
    DiskAdmin - to use "Send message" from phone menu (what the HELL?! Why do you need DiskAdmin to send messages?!)
    Last edited by metalim; 2006-08-16 at 09:47.

Hi, metalim, actually I have textmtm example migrated to Symbian9, it is running well except the editor, I am very interested in using Send from the Gallery, could you please find more information on how to do this? I'll be very appreciated.

Regular Contributor

metalim: The diskadmin capbilitiy threw me off for a while :! I remember that was introduced at a certain ROM version and suddenly my mtm would not run anymore on the device, and it took me a good amount of time to figure out what's going on...
    Nokia, of course, is aware of this, so you should be able to get the capabilities granted. Easily for the dev-cert at least

Hello,
    I also had a problem with adding to Send Via - but finally i got it.
    The implementation looks as follow. In
    MTUD_FUNCTION
    {
    functiontext = "Via new Mtm";
    command = KMtmUiFunctionSendAs; // defined in mtmuidef.hrh
    flags = EMtudCommandSendAs; // defined in mtud.hrh
    }
    and in QueryCapability I had added KUidMtmQueryCanSendMsgValue and set respond on TRUE.

It works and new item menu appear in Option Send whether I try in My Folder in Messages or on a files some where in a phone memory, but the problem is that I do not now how to get the context of that message.

For example when i try to send some templates using my own mtm, the editor is triggered but empty.
    When i checked logs - in UI MTM derived class EditL(TRequestStatus& aStatus)
    method is called.

I expected that second method EditL(TRequestStatus& aStatus, const CMsvEntrySelection& aSelection) should be called but it doesn't. This function will allow me to picked entry I am concerned about

I do not now what can I do to get the right id of the entry that i am particulary interested in

Quote Originally Posted by tkuczera
    MTUD_FUNCTION
    {
    functiontext = "Via new Mtm";
    command = KMtmUiFunctionSendAs; // defined in mtmuidef.hrh
    flags = EMtudCommandSendAs; // defined in mtud.hrh
    }
    and in QueryCapability I had added KUidMtmQueryCanSendMsgValue and set respond on TRUE.
    Hello, tkuczera,
    Very pleased to know you have successfully making the menu shows up. I checked my code, I have the things you mentioned, but I can't see the SendAs menu, I must miss some other stuff. Do you testing on real phone or emulator? I will be very thankful if you can send me[bibu2651@hotmail.com] a working copy.

Very Best,
    bibu

Hi,

Has anyone put their 3rd edition compatible MTM online yet?

Thanks

Jay
    --
    Jay Fenton

Quote Originally Posted by bibu2651 View Post
    Hi, metalim, actually I have textmtm example migrated to Symbian9, it is running well except the editor, I am very interested in using Send from the Gallery, could you please find more information on how to do this? I'll be very appreciated.
    Hi bibu,
    Could you share the textMTM example migrated to Symbian9.
    I took textMTM UIQ exampel as base and started porting to S60 3rd edition[along with the reference to textMTM example code given in SDK documentation]. I got stuck at the point where it aks for the header files
    eikfsel.h
    eikcfdlg.H
    which are not present in my SDK.
    I checked for this in forum, and saw a post which said these files are available in binary kit.
    Did u face this problem?

Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Why don't you use the Forum Nokia MTM example: S60 3rd Edition: Creating Custom Message Type Modules (with Example)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Found it. Thank You.