Discussion Board

S80: please make profileengine.lib and profileengine.h available

Dear Nokia

On Series 60 there is a public API for accessing profiles. On S80 this API is undocumented.

In order for freeware developers to create applications that can change the profile based on a certain time or location, it would be very much appreciated if the library and include file for accessing and switching profiles would be make available publicly.

Hoping for a positive answer.

With best regards
    Arjen Broeze

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: S80: please make profileengine.lib and profileengine.h available

Hello Arjen,
    I'll see if anyone knows of a public way of getting this information, if there isn't I will submit your suggestion. In the mean time if you have a contact person within Nokia you might try working with them. If you don't e-mail me your area and I'll see if I can find a contact person for you.

Ron

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Hi,

I was told you may have a misconception on what the public API is for the S60 platform.

The S60 SDK only provides a public API to query the active profile and to get some basic information about that profile. NOT for changing a profile. I am not sure if the S80 SDK provides the same API or something equal, but the person I talked to thought it already may have this.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ArjenBroeze
    Dear Nokia

On Series 60 there is a public API for accessing profiles. On S80 this API is undocumented.

In order for freeware developers to create applications that can change the profile based on a certain time or location, it would be very much appreciated if the library and include file for accessing and switching profiles would be make available publicly.

Hoping for a positive answer.

With best regards
    Arjen Broeze

Hi Ron

Thanks for the quick clarification. I didn't know that the S60 only allowed querying the active profile (there's no such functionality on S80 though). This API would be helpful for example for checking if the profile is silent and make the sound in your application behave accordingly. If this functionality could be make available for S80 as well, I'm sure it would be appreciated by the developer community.

What I don't understand though is why the API for changing profiles is not available. It can be accomplished anyway (albeit in a very cumbersome way) by sending keystrokes to the main menu of every application which always contains a profile switching sub-menu. Or is this API part of the Preminet package (which is unfortunately completely unaffordable for freeware developers)?

Super Contributor

hi,

This is the only post for which i'm trying to find a solutions from more than 2 years but i don't know whether it is possible with public sdk.. to which the profile of communicator.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"