Discussion Board

Drawing Hebrew text

When I draw Hebrew text with Graphics.drawString(), phone automatically reverces order of characters. Siemens phones do the same way. But Motorola and SonyErricsson do not.

First of all, what is the algorithm behind this? Does it scans string for Hebrew characters and then reverces string?

Can I detect some way this behaviour? Currently, displaying Hebrew text on Siemens/Nokia and Motorola/SE shows different results.

Super Contributor

Re: Drawing Hebrew text

AFAIK this behaviour is implementation dependent. There are a set of languages like Hebrew, Arabic etc where letters are written from right to left. And this shall be handled by the phones implementation. Here is a similar discussion with regarding to Arabic charectors.
    http://agathonisi.erlm.siemens.de:80...ID=48922#48922

>>Can I detect some way this behaviour?

IMHO what you can do is to get the current language code with
    Code:
    System.getProperty("microedition.locale")
    and if the language code returned is of a language to be written from right to left(eg:Hebrew, Arabic) then do the necessary action.

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Unfortunately there is method to query the phone as to whether it know how to handle right-to-left languages or not.

You basically have two choice:
    1) Test on every phone you plan on supporting and see how they print, and then make specific builds for phones that do and phones that don't.
    2) Don't use drawString(). If you make your own custom font (using images) you have complete control over how you draw the characters. If you want to have one build supporting all phones then this is probably your only option.

shmoove

Thanks for unswers.

I have decided to use Graphics.drawChar() to achieve consistent behaviour on all phones.

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way to query the system whether the current language selected on the phone is right to left or left to right. Is there any such property for a font?

Using the function CGraphicsContext:rawTextExtended() and using the property iParRightToLeft of TDrawTextExtendedParam, the phone renders the arabic text correctly, but I need to find out if this text needs to be left aligned or right aligned?

Thanks,
    Brijesh

Hi Brijesh,

This is the Mobile Java section. It seems that your question is best suited to this Symbian C++ section - http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...isplay.php?f=6

BR,

Juarez Jr