Discussion Board

Wink How to install Ethernet Plug-in for S60 2nd Ed FP3 C++ SDK

I have Series 60 2nd Ed. SDK for Symbian OS, FP 3 SDK (C++) build 0516-f.4.5. Python . Problem: when using Python script which tries to access internet (such as weather_info.py) I get message "Ethernet adapter is not given by app". I downloaded the Ethernet Plug-in for Series SDK Admin program, file Ethernet_Plug_in.zip. It's installer did not find my SDK although
    for example Python installer did find EPOC root N:\pythons60\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32.

The same problem occurs if I try to access Interner just using SDK.

What is the right Ethernet adapter installer program for Series 60 2nd Ed. SDK for Symbian OS, FP 3 SDK (C++) build 0516-f.4.5. Python ?
    In which address ?
    Last edited by IceFellow; 2006-04-27 at 14:35.

Re: How to install Ethernet Plug-in for S60 2nd Ed FP3 C++ SDK

Did you configure which ethernet adapter should be used in by the emulator?

Its been a while since I installed Fp3, but I believe in the menubar or the preferences (its in Tools->Preferences on Fp2) there is an option "ethernet settings'" to configure which network adaptor to use.

Basically, it does an ipconfig to list all the network adaptors on your pc (active or not) and you just neet to pick your ethernet adaptor and then restart the emulator.

-a.
    Last edited by aymanshamma; 2006-04-27 at 05:19.

Regular Contributor

Don't install any plugin, it has all it needs. Uninstall SDK, and install again (don't reinstall, it might not work).

Then read the release notes in epoc32\data\releasenotes.txt, it has info how to configure ethernet.

Note that some NICs just don't work with DHCP. You might have luck if you try to configure static IP to emulator. But some don't work with that either.

And to make things sure, always install all symbian stuff to default location, in C:\Symbian\ (and don't use spaces in any paths).

I have installed S60 SDK FP2. To connect to internet i installed "Ethernet Plug-In for Series 60 SDK 2.0". But as it is mentioned in this forum i dont see any option named "Tools->Preferences" for Ethernet settings in wins udeb emulator. What is the problem ?

Thanks in advance
    Altaf

Thanks. I reinstalled SDK to C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3 as was recommended to me. That helped. When SDK was not in C: drive, I coud see nothing in tools->Preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by aymanshamma
    Did you configure which ethernet adapter should be used in by the emulator?

Its been a while since I installed Fp3, but I believe in the menubar or the preferences (its in Tools->Preferences on Fp2) there is an option "ethernet settings'" to configure which network adaptor to use.

Basically, it does an ipconfig to list all the network adaptors on your pc (active or not) and you just neet to pick your ethernet adaptor and then restart the emulator.

-a.

Wink Re: How to install Ethernet Plug-in for S60 2nd Ed FP3 C++ SDK

Thanks Simo. I did as you said: 1) uninstalled SDK in my N: drive 2)installed to C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3. 3) I tested opening http://www.icewaves.com/ and surfed S60 channel. 4) I'm able to monitor ethernet packets using npacketadmin.exe at C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\tools\npacketadmin.exe . THANKS AGAIN !

Quote Originally Posted by simo.salminen
    Don't install any plugin, it has all it needs. Uninstall SDK, and install again (don't reinstall, it might not work).

Then read the release notes in epoc32\data\releasenotes.txt, it has info how to configure ethernet.

Note that some NICs just don't work with DHCP. You might have luck if you try to configure static IP to emulator. But some don't work with that either.

And to make things sure, always install all symbian stuff to default location, in C:\Symbian\ (and don't use spaces in any paths).

Quote Originally Posted by simo.salminen

Hello,
    I am trying using Emulator based on FP3, but I am facing below issues:
    1) From emulator->Tools->Preferences (Ethernet Settings) when I try to insert the IP data as for my LAN TCP/IP connection settings then an error occurs (All parameters not valid) avoiding me inserting my settings (Network adapter is correctly configured)

2) Changing Ethernet settings manually from ethernetced.xml file and following the procedure as described in SDK help then, even if everything seems to be ok, the connection doesn't work and from Emulator UI ethernet settings appears unchanged

Does anybody have same issue?
    Any suggestions on how to solve the above issues?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

If you can, try different network card.

Hi,

I have the same problem.

When I run the npacketadmin.exe then there were two adaptors showing in UI. I test the internet connection by starting both the adaptors one by one but it shows a small window that "Error code: 5 .Access denied." and then error -44 is written on emulator.

Plz help.