Discussion Board

how can i create AD HOC connection?

hi,

hope that this is right area...

how can i create 'AD HOC' connection from my 9300i to my laptop (OS: XP home)?
    --> what setting i need to do in my laptop; i want to use my broadband&wlan (no station's) for the web connection in 9300i...
    Last edited by ts2000abc; 2006-04-26 at 15:45.

Super Contributor

Re: how can i create AD HOC connection?

Make sure you know what kind of encryption you use for your home WLAN and then make the AD-HOC connection from the phone with same encryption. No configuration needed in the computer, it is the WLAN router that needs to be setup correctly.

Hi,
    sorry I don't know whether I understood your question rightly...but for ADHOC connection,you don't need the WLAN router/AP.

-Is the laptop powered with centrino or some USB (or anyother )WLAN adapter ?
    - How is the broadband providing you a web connection (is it via a DSL line/cable modem directly plugged into laptop) OR do you have a WLAN router ?

I shall try to briefly explain the concept below :
    -ADHOC connection is between two wlan devices who wish to set up an independent connection.(no need of WLAN router/AP)
    -Infrastructure connection is between the WLAN AP (connected to some wiredLAN) to which other WLAN devices could attach to it.

So,as I understand you are trying to simply set up a BSS connection (Basic infrastructure network) => this is my assumption ,correct me if I'm wrong

then in your case,you just use your 9300i to create an AP & browse

Please let me know if it has helped to solve your problem/have your feedback

Thanks & Regards,
    Wireless Mobility team,
    -Assuring the wireless connectivity for your mobile

I don't understand how you make an adhoc connection?

what do you do on the phone? and how do you set up Windows XP to let the phone share the internet connection?

Hi,

On your Win XP laptop :
    Choose start->settings->Network Connections and click the local area network connection you want to share. On the left side of the screen under Network Tasks, click ‘Change settings of this connection.’ On the Advanced tab under Internet Connection Sharing, check the box to ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.’ There is also a check box to allow other users to enable or disable the Internet connection, if you are so inclined. If your network doesn’t need Internet access, you can ignore this paragraph altogether.
    The Host system also needs to be configured with an Ad Hoc Network Connection and a Service Set identifier (SSID). Right-click on the Wireless Networks icon in the system tray and choose ‘View Wireless Networks.’ Do NOT connect yet to any wireless network that might show up in the box. Click the Advanced button. This will bring up the Wireless Connection Properties window, with the Wireless Networks tab in front. Click the Advanced button at the lower right of this tab. Select the radio button ‘Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only’. Make sure the box labeled ‘Automatic connect to non-preferred networks’ is NOT checked. Click the Close button (once) to return to the Wireless Network tab. Under Preferred Network, click on Add
    You will now need to put in an SSID for this machine, which is basically the name it will use to announce itself to other members of the wireless ad hoc network. In a burst of imagination, we called ours ‘NokiaLaptop Adhoc’. Feel free to use it in your own ad hoc network. Network Authentication should now be Open, and Data Encryption can be either Disabled or WEP. In order to keep this reasonably short we will choose Disabled, but strongly recommend WEP encryption in any wireless networks you set up, ad hoc or otherwise. Click OK when done.
    In the Preferred Network box there will appear a red X, labeled ‘NokiaLaptop Adhoc’. Close this window for now. In a few seconds a dialog box will pop up notifying you that a new wireless network connection has been detected. Windows XP is simply detecting itself with its new wireless configuration. Right-click on the wireless network connection icon and select ‘View available networks’. You will notice there is now a new connection available, called 'NokiaLaptop Adhoc'. Close the box.

On your phone :
    simply go to control panel->connections->wlan
    tab under networks displays the 'NokiaLaptop Adhoc' connection.simply create an access point & connect to the network.

you have made an adhoc connection.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Wireless Mobility team,
    [email]wireless.mobility@hotmail.com[/email]
    Please let me know if it had solved your problem/have your feedback
    ----
    The views I present are my OWN and not of any organisation I may belong too.

Not that I want to be annoying but that does not work on my laptop.

It should but I can get the Ad Hoc network to be detected at all! it doesnt seem to do anything on my PC!

I am at a loss! Of course maybe it is a bug in the N91 like with the themes and a firmware update will fix it because I followed everything you said to the letter and still no luck!

Super Contributor

also, keep in mind, if connecting through router, it's not ad-oc, only device to device or pc to device, is ad hoc...
    Jason Glass
    http://IChiBanComputers.Com

By the way I was using an Ad Hoc connection from my laptop to the phone and not using a router (the router method works perfectly) it is the ad-hoc method which does not seem to ever work!

Thanks for the introduction how to do that, it ad-hoc works perfectly now (N80 connected ad-hoc to Broadcom Adapter in Compaq NX9000)

Is it possible to find out the IP Address of the connected device from my Windows XP pc?

Yes,its possible to read/get the IP address of your PC from the router.Try logging into your wireless router from you PC & look for attached/connected devices which which gives the IP address & the MAC address associated.
    then you could ping all the connected devices you are interested in.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Wireless Mobility team,
    [email]wireless.mobility@hotmail.com[/email]
    Please let me know if it had solved your problem/have your feedback
    ----
    The views I present are my OWN and not of any organisation I may belong too.

This might be a good idea if you use a router; Is it possible if you use ad-hoc mode in Windows XP?

Other than pinging all clients on the subnet and see if there is a response;

is it possible to create connection between my laptop and my 9300i via WLAN without router?

is there any 3rd party software to do this?
    so my computer and my 9300i can "see" each oter on their wireless network...

Super Contributor

boedi, does the 9300i support/have wireless capability? If it does, follow the steps we explained below, in an attempt to get your two devices to "see each other"

Good luck
    Jason Glass
    http://IChiBanComputers.Com

Quote Originally Posted by wireless.mobility View Post
    Hi,
    sorry I don't know whether I understood your question rightly...but for ADHOC connection,you don't need the WLAN router/AP.

-Is the laptop powered with centrino or some USB (or anyother )WLAN adapter ?
    - How is the broadband providing you a web connection (is it via a DSL line/cable modem directly plugged into laptop) OR do you have a WLAN router ?

I shall try to briefly explain the concept below :
    -ADHOC connection is between two wlan devices who wish to set up an independent connection.(no need of WLAN router/AP)
    -Infrastructure connection is between the WLAN AP (connected to some wiredLAN) to which other WLAN devices could attach to it.

So,as I understand you are trying to simply set up a BSS connection (Basic infrastructure network) => this is my assumption ,correct me if I'm wrong

then in your case,you just use your 9300i to create an AP & browse

Please let me know if it has helped to solve your problem/have your feedback

Thanks & Regards,
    Wireless Mobility team,
    Hi,

I know it's possible to create ad-hoc wifi account on almost all wifi enabled devices.

Kindly advice, if it is possible to share the internet connection from Nokia E61i to those devices within the same ad-hoc connection?

Appreciate your advice. If you have answered this thread before, kindly post a link.

Thank you and regards,
    Eric

Nokia Developer Moderator

Try Google for "WLAN hotspot mobile phone", the first result would be exactly what you're looking for: JoikuSpot.

Please note that this website is reserved for software developers. If you have more end-user type of questions you can use hhp://discussions.europe.nokia.com
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite