Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Getting form position, how?

Is there a way to find out the position (cursor) on form. I am trying to develop an application that has some softkey commands, but they should function differently depending on the position. Let's say you are on a TextField when you press the softkey, A should happen. But then again, if you are on an Image, B should happen. How should I go about doing this?

Super Contributor

Re: Getting form position, how?

Hi,

AFAIK it is not possible to get the position in a form similar to that in the list.

The first idea that comes to my mind is to add the same commands to the items rather than to the form. Set the itemcommandlistener. in the item command action you can check which item is present and it can be routed to the corresponding action
    commandAction(Command c, Item item)

Wang

Regular Contributor

Re: Getting form position, how?

Thank you for that suggestion. I am trying it out right now. I still would need to find out the position of that Item in the form, because I would like to replace it with another one. Now it should be easier because I know what the Item is, but I still can't find a method to find the position in the form. Is there an easy way to figure it out?

I figured out that if everything else fails, I can loop through all the items in the form and see which one matches the item that had the command in it. I just hope there would be a nicer way. Any thoughts?

EDIT: At least I got it working now with this looping way. I would appreciate if someone would tell me, if there is a better way also. Thanks
    Last edited by pillar; 2006-04-28 at 08:14.