Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Save Failed:null in carbide.c++ express while trying to create aifdef

Hi,

I am using Carbide.C++ Express and Series 60 third edition final SDK . I am trying to create an aif file for my application . For this purpose I have created a folder called aif in my main project directory and in the aif folder I have 4 bitmaps (42x29 color bitmap,42x29 mask bitmap,44x44 color bitmap and 44x44 mask bitmap) and an aif resource file called aifrss.rss.
    The content of the file is as follows :

Code:
    #include <aiftool.rh>

RESOURCE AIF_DATA
    {
    caption_list=
            {
            CAPTION { code=ELangEnglish; caption="MyAppName"; }

};

// Replace the following app_uid with your program's UID.
    app_uid=0x088CA3C4; //UID3 of my application . 

// The number of icons (not including masks)
    num_icons=2;
    }

For the UID Im using UID3 of my application. Now, I go to File->New->AIF Definition File. Then in the AIF Editior I add my bitmaps and specify the name of my aif resource (aifrss.rss) in the AIF Resource File Field.
    I set the Color Scale to Yes, Color Depth to 24 and Mask Depth to 1.
    However, when I try save the file I get an error saying Save Failed:null .

What could be going wrong here ?

Please help.

Thanks a lot

Super Contributor

Re: Save Failed:null in carbide.c++ express while trying to create aifdef

You should not use aifdef for 3.0, use mifdef instead. Contrary to popular belief, this is also discussed in Help :-).

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply . I still have the following three questions, and hope you would be kind enough to answer them

Q 1) If aifdef should not be used then what is this option provided for ?

Q 2) I tried to use some bitmaps in my application by creating an mbmdef file. I added the 4 bitmaps as specified in my previous post , in the mbm editor.
    An mbmdef file gets created . However, I dont get any mbgdef file in my \Symbian\9.1\Epoc32\Include folder . There is an mbg file present whose contents is as follows :

Code:
    /* This file has been generated, DO NOT MODIFY. */
    enum TMifMyApp
    	{
    	EMbmMyAppenu_myapp84,
    	EMbmMyappLastElement
    	};
    There are no vales for bitmaps in this enum.So, how do I use these bitmaps in my app ?

Q 3) If I use mifdef editior to create a mifdef file then Ill have to use SVG instead of BMP, right ?. Also, the mif editor does not provide an option for specifying the aif resource file so how would I specify my aif file ?

Thanks a lot

Super Contributor

aif and mbm are for Symbian OS prior to 9.1, ie S60 2nd Ed in Nokia speak..
    mifs and corresponding .rss files are used in 3.0 and are mainly intended for svg's yes, to enable icons to be scaled when the UI scales. Check S60 3.0 Help for details, with the change of the special make file for .mifs in the SDK instead of the .mifdef in Carbide, all other info in the SDK applies to Carbide as well.

Regular Contributor

Hello mitts,

Thanks for the reply . I looked up the documentation and there it says that a special make file called Icons.mk is required . The documentation shows an example of Icons.mk file and at the end it says that we need to add
    Code:
     gnumakefile icons.mk
    in the PRJ_MMPFILES section of bld.inf.
    However, I am using Carbide.C++ Express and there is no bld.inf file present. So, where can I add the above line ? .
    Another question I have is that I have noticed that in the emulator my application shows correctly when the resolution is 352x416 . However, if I try to change the resolution to other options like say 416x352 or 176x208 then my UI does not display correctly, also if I used any bitmaps then my application crashes when I try to scale it to a different resolution. So, what changes do I have to make to my UI and bitmaps so that they will display correctly at different resolutions ?

Super Contributor

As I already indicated, the make file (icons.mk) is replaced in Carbide by the mifdef..
    And SVG icons scale nicely, not bitmaps..