Discussion Board

Change from CodeWarrior to Carbide. When, how and how much

Hi,

I am a (reluctant) CodeWarrior user.

As such i welcome Carbide as it seems to be a big improvement and i hear a lot of encoraging things about it on the forums and in the press.

However, the question is should i migrate from CodeWarrior?

According to the NOKIA Q&A on the subject, no, or at least not yet. They say:

--------------------------
    Q: "I am currently using CodeWarrior 3.1; should I migrate?
    A: Most likely no. Express is intended for non-commercial use and if you are using CodeWarrior 3.1 you are most likely doing commercial applications. Also CodeWarrior 3.1 has the most advanced support for Symbian OS 9 so many advanced application types can only be developed using CodeWarrior. We however encourage you to download and try out Express, as this will help you plan the migration to commercial Carbide.c++ products when they become available later this year. "

---------------------------

Looking through the release notes we can see certain limitations that are "show stoppers" for commercial apps. So, sadly, i will have to wait.

However, if anyone can answer the following i would be very grateful (my appologies if this information is on the nokia site somewhere, i had a look but couldn´t find it).

- When will the commercial Carbide.c++ products be launched?
    - How much will they cost?
    - Is it intended that these become the primary tools for Symbian development (replacing CodeWarrior)?
    - Will licenses cost the same for owners of CodeWarrior licenses or will there be a reduced rate to promote migration and avoid supporting two product lines?

I realise these questions are not the typical "Help, How do i...?" style questions that this forum is designed for but i suspect that they are of interest to developers as well as managers.

Best regards,

PL

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Change from CodeWarrior to Carbide. When, how and how much

PL,

I think I am the person who wrote the Q&A and the context of the message was written for the Carbide.c++ Express product.

We encourage all our CodeWarrior customers to eventually migrate their development to Carbide, but the precise time depends on your specific situation.

To answer your questions:

- When will the commercial Carbide.c++ products be launched?
    * Developer & Professional Edition - September 2006

- How much will they cost?
    * Developer - 299 € (New license)
    * Profession - 1369 € (New license)

- Is it intended that these become the primary tools for Symbian development (replacing CodeWarrior)?
    * Yes, over time. We are focusing all our tools development on the Carbide tool chain. We will continue to support CodeWarrior but not add new features.

- Will licenses cost the same for owners of CodeWarrior licenses or will there be a reduced rate to promote migration and avoid supporting two product lines?
    * Carbide will be treated as an upgrade to CodeWarrior. For new CodeWarrior purchases made now until Sept - upgrades are discounted by 50%.
    * Professional Edition (New license is 1369 €). Today an upgrade is 767€.
    * If you make a new CodeWarrior license purchase between April and Sept - Carbide PRO upgrades would be 50% off - or 384€.

We are also looking at new pricing and expect that the upgrade prices to be reduced a bit in the customer's favor.

/Mike