Discussion Board

Algorithm to Generate a Reg Code

hi..

i am trying to generate a Registration code number from the IMEI number for my application... .as of now i am just using a simple scrambling algorithm...but i want some stronger algorithm...
    has anyone done something like this...could anyone pls help me out...or point me to some link where i can find something...

Thanks in advance.

Sid

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Algorithm to Generate a Reg Code

Could you use some of the algorithms from the security subsystem i.e. the crypto library? I believe these should contain implementations of various algorithms such as RAS, DSA, SHA-1 etc. but I don't know if these are suitable algorithms or not but have a look see what the SDK says about them.

Super Contributor

As hotcheese says, there are a range of Symbian hash algorithms available in the S60 3rd Edition SDK (Symbian documentation is here: http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...TOGRAPHY%2etoc)

However, I don't think these APIs are made available in earlier Symbian releases.

And, by the way, RSA/DSA aren't any use for your purpose because (a) they're not available except to licensees and (b) they're for asymmetric cryptography rather than hashing.

hi..

thanks for that link..i will try it out with the crptyo classes...hope it works fine

Sid