Discussion Board

Thumbs up [Announce] RACCOON : Apache and mod_python for S60

Hello ,

GREAT NEWS !

I read in Tommi S60 blog that the Binary client is available for download

More on http://research.nokia.com/research/p...phone-software

The client binary is available for download and you can ask us to create an account for you on our gateway. Once you have installed the software and we have created the account, you will have a web server on your mobile phone that can be accessed using any regular web browser.
    Apache Modules

The following Apache modules have been built in: mod_alias, mod_auth, mod_autoindex, mod_dav, mod_dav_fs, mod_dir, mod_log_config, mod_mime, mod_rewrite, mod_setenvif and last, but definitely not least, mod_python.

Mod_python integrates Python for S60 with Apache and thus you can create content using Python scripting and also Python Server Pages. As it is possible to write your own Python extension modules, the entire S60 API is in principle available, even though the source for the Symbian port of Apache httpd is not yet provided.

The port of Apache httpd is based on version 2.0.52 and the port of mod_python on version 3.1.3.

The client binary is available for download and you can ask us to create an account for you on our gateway. Once you have installed the software and we have created the account, you will have a web server on your mobile phone that can be accessed using any regular web browser.
    Apache Modules

Prerequisites

The software has been developed using Nokia 6630 and should work on any S60 2nd Edition Feature Pack 2 based device and probably will work on any FP3 based device. It will work on 6600 phone . You can check what S60 version your phone is based on from here.
    Installation

Download raccoon.zip
    http://research.nokia.com/research/p...er/raccoon.zip

, unzip it and follow the instructions in the README.TXT file.
    Account

In order to be able to browse to your mobile website you need to have an account on our gateway. Simply send a mail with the subject Raccoon Account and we will create one for you. If your name and preferred email-address are not evident from the mail headers, then specify them explicitly in the email body.

Please tell us your affiliation and the intended use ("sounds cool, I just want to check it out" is fine). This is fully optional but is interesting to us.
    Last edited by cyke64; 2006-05-04 at 17:01.
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

Regular Contributor

Re: [Announce] RACCOON : Apache and mod_python for S60

Looks interesting. Anyone know if it is possible to use without this "Raccoon Account"?

Last edited by cyke64; 2006-05-04 at 16:10. Reason: More links !

that's pretty nice. But there's something I don't understand: typically a server must be in constant listening state, does this mean your WAP/GPRS/3G/whatever net connection has to be kept alive constantly ? That might be troublesome for people who aren't blessed with unlimited data transfers !
    Anyway this is still a great achievement, very promising !

Quote Originally Posted by MrKikkeli
    that's pretty nice. But there's something I don't understand: typically a server must be in constant listening state, does this mean your WAP/GPRS/3G/whatever net connection has to be kept alive constantly ? That might be troublesome for people who aren't blessed with unlimited data transfers !
    Anyway this is still a great achievement, very promising !
    NO ! It's not mandatory to be inline constantly ! In cellular mode you can set up a message informing your visitor when you are not inline ! (look at Raccoon settings)
    Only when you are inline the visitor can view your site ...

You can of course make a site only for yourself (non-cellular mode (look at Raccoon settings) and it cost you nothing

I'd like notice all of you that you can also use Nokia 6600 (2nd Edition ) for Raccoon ! It works with this config (Don't be afraid when you install Raccoon on your phone and force to install the files !!!!!

I test raccoon offline (non-cellular mode) with Nokia 6600 (5.27) and not consuming memory browser Doris !
    IT WORKS ALSO (please modify your doc and your sis files !)

I modify some psp pages (I read this interesting article http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2...ver_pages.html
    )
    Install files : It's annoying to have multiple warnings message when I install files on phone ! Please modify pkg extension file for support 6600 and perhaps 6620 (not tested !) also.

# Apache :

* configuration file httpd.conf : add following lines for accessing photos on E: drive with concept demos page !
    o <Directory "E:/Nokia/Images/"></Directory>
    o Alias /e-images/ "E:/Nokia/Images/"

# Local web site :

* Concepts demos :
    o You forget to add an example with <a href="camera?command=options">
    o Add also browsing phone images with alias /e-images/ on MMC card (You put only phone memory !)

# BUGS : I can't access in my messages page to Outbox , Drafts , Send link ! I have only access to inbox !

hope that all these modules could be available in regular py_s60 release ... I 'm thinking about Instant message , message direct to phone inbox !
    Last edited by cyke64; 2006-05-04 at 18:05. Reason: feedback