Discussion Board

N91 Connecting to Network Internet Wirelessly?

Hey

I have a Sony Laptop that has WLAN and bluetooth on it and I want to connect to the internet using my N91 through the LAN connection, ie, using my ADSL internet connection and transmitting it wirelessly to my phone to browse the internet using my phone (I know I made that sound VERY Complicated but hopefully you understand!)

When I use the WLAN connection setting on the N91 it sees a wireless network which I believe is coming from my laptops WLAN parts (as it obviously capable of transmitting as well as receiving wirelessly) however it does not connect or if it does connect nothing happens (to be honest I can't tell if it connects or not as nothing works).

So is there anyway to get my laptop working like a router basically so my N91 can browse through it, and if not is there anyway I can connect it by bluetooth to browse the net? Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: N91 Connecting to Network Internet Wirelessly?

It is not exactly a Symbian-question. However you might try to (assuming Windows) open Network Connections, select ADSL(LAN?) and WLAN (use Ctrl-key), right click, and select Bridge Connections.

I have tried what you suggested but it doesnt seem to do very much.

On my Laptop I have a LAN & LAN2 in network connections ( I believe LAN2 is the ethernet and LAN works when connected to a wireless router though I could be wrong).

I also have a 1394 Connection listed which I have no idea what it does and a separate Wireless network connection.

I have no idea how to bridge these and if I do how to connect them to my N91 wirelessly.

I tried bridging all of them and just the LAN that is connected now and the wireless network connection BUT when I do that my browser cannot connect to any websites on the laptop let alone my phone.

I know this is not strictly related to the phone but please do let me know what is going on and feel free to e-mail at okhademi@hotmail.com if you prefer to explain. Thanks.

Hi,
    quick question : did you try an ADHOC connection between your phone & Laptop,it could work !
    Thanks & Regards,
    Wireless Mobility team,
    -Assuring the wireless connectivity for your mobile
    [email]wireless.mobility@hotmail.com[/email]
    Please let me know if it had solved your problem/have your feedback
    ----
    The views I present are my OWN and not of any organisation I may belong too.

I have tried that but I don't know the exact settings on the laptop and the N91.

I would appreciate it if you could walk me through it like an idiot (I am not and understand this stuff very well but I simply can't get a connection despite apparently setting up both the laptop and the phone what I thought was right way!

So please explain to me as simply as possible alternatively add me on msn at okhademi@hotmail.com and you could explain it that way easily. Thanks.

Hi,

If you want to connect your phone to your Laptop via Wifi (WLAN), this is what must be true.
    The phone must be in Ad Hoc mode (used whenever a computer connects to a computer... Infrastructure if for computer to network gear (router, switch, etc)).
    The laptop must be setup as a network server via WLAN (in your internet settings).

The laptop must not be using WLAN for its own internet connection. You can only have one active connection on wireless at a time, you cannot browse the internet on your laptop via WLAN, and connect your phone to the laptop via WLAN simultaneously.

You may not use bluetooth to browse the internet via your laptop on the phone. (Though you may use bluetooth to browse the internet on your laptop via the phone as a bluetooth modem. This probably doesn't apply right now.)

You should initially try to do this with no network security, since that will get in the way. Once you figure out how to connect, add security later.

BTW, I have never gotten my phone to use any network security. Still working on that.

Good luck.

All Sounds straight forward the Wlan connection Adhoc mode N91 -> Laptop... Which can be established...

But what about the sharing of the files, music streaming via the home network connection??

For some reason my PC has paired Wlan as an active connection but cant seem to see files via my shared documents on PC or N91???

This seems vey wierd?? Network connections shows no folders?? WLAN seems to be a very grey area for the N91, If any clarity could be given this would help immensely

Thanks in Advance,
    Regards

Patariki