Discussion Board

Thumbs down Popup message w/an optional checkbox?

What would be the best way of going about creating a popup dialog with a message and a checkbox that the user can toggle on/off independant of selecting Yes/No to the message?

I'm trying to popup a question, and provide the use the checkbox to "opt out" of seeing the popup in the future. It's acutally to comply with CON-03 of SymbianSigned:
    At first use of the billable event, a dialog box is shown to the user with a prompt outlining the service accessed and the charge(s) involved... A checkbox can be made available to enable the user to disable the prompt....
    So I want to display something like:
    Code:
    	---------------------------
    	Are you sure you wish to
    	connect to the Internet?
    	[ ] Always accept
    	---------------------------
    	Left/Right softkeys = Yes/No

Regular Contributor

Re: Popup message w/an optional checkbox?

Hi, I've got the same problem here. I have never seen a checkbox control on any Symbian app yet. How can I do that?? This is ironically the hardest Symbian Signed Criteria for me!

If anyone has code for something like this I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it... I tried a few things without much luck and ended up Symbian Signing my app without it.

Instead I made the prompt just an ordinary Yes/No dialog, and then added an option in my app's settings menu to toggle the "Always Accept" status.

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can play with a multi-selection query list (it provides "checkboxes" for every list element) with only one element. Check in query example of pre-3rd ed. SDKs.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ppiggy
    Hi, I've got the same problem here. I have never seen a checkbox control on any Symbian app yet. How can I do that?? This is ironically the hardest Symbian Signed Criteria for me!
    I have the same problem, actually with CON-02.

Good to see, that others have struggled with it too, so I don't use too much time trying to get the checkbox done.

Next thing is to make a simple implementation of a dialog with a multi-line read-only edit box, which should accept more than 255 characters...

I tried to modify r_data_query_with_heading from BrCtlSampleApp.rss to implement the Privacy Statement Dialog, but presumable the heading pane AVKON_HEADING crashes my rcomp.exe (v8.1, Build 004).
    (Carbide.vs 2.0.1, S60 3rd Ed SDK for Symbian OS)
    So I'll continue with r_demo_data_query from the SDK help without a heading...

Regular Contributor

I have basically given up to find a checkbox solution. It seems Symbian Signed will also accept the "Show this dialog only on the 1st run" method. So I think I will go with that without the checkbox.