Discussion Board

Lightbulb Carbide+Eclipse+WinXP = Carbide+Eclipse+MacOSX ?

Since Carbide C++ work as an Eclipse plugin, and
    Eclipse also works in MacOSX.

Does this mean that we can anticipate being able to do...
    Symbian Development on MacOSX?
    Or have enough people been burnt with the time and effort invested in trying?

Super Contributor

Re: Carbide+Eclipse+WinXP = Carbide+Eclipse+MacOSX ?

Dont expect it to work, Carbide uses a large number of Symbian specific tools in the build chain that are Windows binaries.

However, knowing that this will not deter MacOS diehards from trying, pls tell us if you are able to rig up something :-).
    Last edited by mitts; 2006-05-05 at 11:11.

what about the MacOSX with a WinXP "virtualization" system?

Like http://www.parallels.com/

Would this allow running Carbide+Eclipse+WinXP on Apple hardware (with MacOSX)?

Don't have the new Apple hardware with Intel processor...so I can't yet test it myself, but hoping someone can try it?

I have Mac OS X v10.4.6, 1,5PPC, 512RAM, have installed MS Virtual PC, plus Windows XP Pro ..

It starts well, but it is damn slow, like an old Pentium 2

So it is not good idea to work in it I think !

Well, I`m not sure about that "Parallels" software will work better, I think it will be same slow PC on PPC

BR

I think 512MB is not much even to run MacOSX alone. To get decent MacOSX performance I would put 768MB - 1 GB RAM, since MacOSX does not use the disk as swap space and keeps everything in RAM.
    To get decent test of VirtualPC hosting WinXP, I would put 2GB RAM, and allocate (in Virtual PC settings) 1 GB for WinXP.

Currently, I'm trying to get a hold of a test machine (more recent Apple hardware with Intel Core Duo cpu) in order to try using Parallels to host WinXP.
    With the Intel cpu, WinXP should run almost like it's on a normal PC...that seems to be possible from reading people's blogs and some Mac boards.

But it's more relevant for us here, if someone can report about using the Symbian dev IDEs and SDKs in such an environment.
    It's a pain since the Apple store I contacted allowed me to do the test but just on a Mac Mini with only 512MB RAM...so I couldn't even get WinXP installed.

Just hoping I can get in touch with the right person at Apple to be able to try this out.

In the meantime, if someone can get this tried out, it would be great to know what's feasible.