Discussion Board

Two browser bugs on S40 3rd Edition SDK

1. When a table is 100% width and the whole page normally should fit without ANY horizontal scrollbars on its QVGA screen, it still doesn’t fit. It seems that the calculation of the available screen resolution is off. This results on most of the sites I tried that normally fit even on a 128x128 screen to create uneeded horizontal scrollbars (when using the default setting of “Full” screen rendering). I tried both HTML markup and CSS markup (to make a table 100% width), both have the same bug. Look screenshot rendering www.osnews.com (the Nokia browsers are autodetected and a cHTML mobile version of the site is served) : http://eugenia.blogsome.com/images/s40.png

2. When changing the browser setting to “small screen rendering”, the browser does not behave as a media=”handheld” anymore, so it downloads the full CSS layout which is meant only for desktop browsers. For example, Slashdot looks terrible with the “Small screen” setting because the browser downloads the “screen” CSS file and not the “handheld” one. Opera gives web developers the same headaches too. In my opinion, all mobile browsers should be “handheld” no matter the mode they are in. They are running on handheld devices and that's the end of it.

Re: Two browser bugs on S40 3rd Edition SDK

Oh, God... it was not enough that the bug was on the new S40 devices, now the bug is on the "Services" browser of the new S60 devices!!! It seems that Nokia has updated the "Services" browser with the one on the S40 3rd Edition and with it has introduced this terrible "100% width" bug. For example, the original E61 firmware was fine and now the updated one has the buggy S40 browser in it. I am really angry over this because BOTH my mobile web sites are unusable now by Nokia users.

Check the bug here:
    http://eugenia.blogsome.com/images/s60services.png (reload if it doesn't load the first time)

PLEASE someone do something about it!

Super Contributor

Hmmm... Have you tried the current site with the original E61 firmware you mentioned? My guess is that OS News has changed the layout a little and that is reflected in the E61 browser. However as I am travelling I do not have handsets to verify this at this point. (But I find it unlikely thet the browser entities have shared code between 2 different OSes at this point of the development)

Hartti

>Have you tried the current site with the original E61 firmware you mentioned?

Yes. It had worked without horizontal scrollbars for months, until I upgraded the firmware. The Width bug did not exist in the original firmware. But it happens in the newly released E61 firmware and ALL the S40 3.0 phones (and the S40 3.0 SDK).

>My guess is that OS News has changed the layout a little

No, it hasn't. The Width bug exists since the release of the S40 3.0 and now that this new version of the "Services" browser has found its way to the new firmwares of the S60 devices, it appears there too.

I now try to somewhat autodetect the Services browser (even if it’s not the buggy 3.x version) and when such a browser hits osnews.com I don’t specify a width=”100%” on the tables and their cells. While this makes things a tiny bit better, it does NOT fix the problem completely (and it might even create problems to the Services 2.x version). Here’s the PHP code anyway:

PHP Code:
    $agent getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT");
    if (
    preg_match ("/Nokia/i"$agent))
    {
    if (!
    preg_match ("/WebKit/i"$agent) && !preg_match ("/Opera/i"$agent) && !preg_match ("/UP.Browser/i"$agent) && !preg_match ("/Netfront/i"$agent) && !preg_match ("/Doris/i"$agent) && !preg_match ("/Nokia-Communicator-WWW-Browser/i"$agent))
    $Browser "Nokia-Services"; }
    }
    if (
    $Browser!="Nokia-Services") { echo "width=100%"; } 
    A fix of this bug by Nokia is highly appreciated. Do any Nokia engineers read this forum or are my posts here in the void?

Please note that after my PHP code above the problem does not show up as much on osnews.com, but it DOES exist. If Nokia engineers are reading this, the best way to reproduce the problem is to go to my other web site www.GnomeFiles.org (a mobile version is also served automatically there as we autodetect ALL mobile browsers). OSNews.com still has the problem, just not as much anymore after my hack, depending on the device used to access it you will see it here and there.
    Last edited by Eugenia17; 2006-10-02 at 08:21.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Hi Eugenia,

I called this to the attention of the Browser team and they said they could not reproduce this in the latest version.

If you are certain this is not fixed write to me directly with as much information as possible and I will forward it directly to the Browser team.

Ron

Well, I can not possibly have access to your latest internal version, but the latest public S40 SDK and the phones built around it, and the new firmware for the S61, does have the bug. I will be emailing you with screenshots from both the S40 SDK and the latest E61 "Services" browser.

Here are the of the S40 SDK's browser, and my E61's new firmware "Services" browser that exhibit the bug: http://www.osnews.com/img/nokia.png

The URL used in this test is this: www.osnews.com/mobile.html
    This is a static page that can be used for testing by your engineers. This page is optimized to fit (without horizontal scrollbars) even on 128x128 screens!

The problem is that the "Services" browser on S40 3.0 and the "Services" browser on the *updated* S60 firmwares (not on the original ones) have this bug in them: apparently they can't calculate correctly the screen width, and so when the HTML code has something like "width=100%" in a table/cell, the browser creates terribly long horizontal scrollbars. This should not happen, because 100% of width should only mean the actual screen-width of the used screen (e.g .on a QVGA screen that would be 240 pixels minus the scrollbar width).

Other mobile-optimized URLs that exhibit the bug:
    www.gnomefiles.org (autodetection for mobile browsers)
    www.mobits.com (autodetection for mobile browsers)
    http://www.mobileburn.com/chtml/