Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Thumbs down Memory problems with N71, E60, N80, N91 - OutOfMemoryError

Hi,

I'm expieriencing memory J2ME problems with these new phones.
    After the allocation of some objects, not many (10-20) the phones throw OutOfMemoryError although freememory in Runtime states more than 180 KB free memory.

Same code runs since some years on many older phones without these problems. Somebody expieriencing same behaviour ?

The version for the E60 for example is 1.0610.02.15 12-04-06 RM-49

Thanks
    Oliver

Re: Memory problems with N71, E60, N80, N91 - OutOfMemoryError

Hi Oliver,

I am expieriencing the same problem now, and I do not know why this happens where it is supposed that these device more stable and more strong.

Thanks
    Amr

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    I filed two paid and therefore professionell (:-))support requests, but still no sufficient answer. I'll inform here if a workaround is found.

I have four problem phones right now, the N71, E60, N80, and the N91, all official sold phones .
    A suggested workaround (from Nokia) is to reuse my Canvas, what I've done where I could. This helped for the N91 and the N71, but the E60 and N80 are still broken.

Same apps run on the N70 or even the on new 3250 without problems (and much older 6600, 6630, 6680), so it seems they have built in a new memory problem in the J2ME VM built later than 3/2006 and within the Series 60 3rd only (at this stage).

Allocation of 20 own Canvas brings up memory exceptions altough VM states 180 KB free and one object needs around 1 K.
    Even the total heap of 800 K for a new Series 60, which is stated by the runtime, seems to be a little low to me ?

Oliver

Very strange

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Would this is because of bigger screen resolution and when using canvas or other graphics related.. it takes much more memory, the system reserves much more memory:

e.g
    E60, n80 Resolution: 352 x 416
    n71 Resolution: 240 x 320

but n91 is having 176 x 208 resolution so that is a bit odd.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I have received an answer from the professionell Nokia support concerning the issue above. As stated here Nokia has an issue concerning Symbian memory management, so it's not my/any application producing the error.

I happy about the honest answer from Nokia:

Hi Olli,

Sorry for the late response.

The problem tuned out to be much complex than what we originally expected it to be. The reason for memory leak is somewhere deep in Symbian OS which makes it impossible for us to give a workaround in short time.

The reason is still in under investigation. Please stand by for the further information.

We apologize and are really sorry for this error.

This case will be closed now. You will be granted new case because this error is in our platform.

Regards,
    Sriram
    Created: 27-Apr-2006

To review the details of this support request, go to https://pro.forum.nokia.com/loadSer...RequestId=13476 and log into the Support Center web site.

We would like you to complete the Support Customer Satisfaction Survey. Please complete this survey to share your level of satisfaction with us. To review the above support request and to fill in the survey, log into the Forum Nokia Support Center web site at

https://pro.forum.nokia.com/crm/Sur...&entityID=13476

Regular Contributor

Yes, this sounds like a possible explanation. My workaround is to reduce Canvas usage which helps (because I've don already - not more than 10 Canvas instances in one app. what's not that easy)
    Olli

Nokia Developer Expert

Regarding to this problem,
    those devices are 3.0 devices,
    but did you find this problems also with N90, which is 2.8 device but having also bigger resolution.

Regular Contributor

I did not have any problems with the N90 but I can test again if you want me to.
    Olli

The N90 worked fine for me as well.

-Lujo

I am having a similar problem i have an N91 and even when i go to my contacts (which is obviously important) it says memory full close some applications and try again but there is loads of memory free and i have nothing stored on the n91 harddrive helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp please Colin Dublin, Ireland

Super Contributor

hi Colin,
    welcome aboard!
    please do not post the same question more then once:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=70278
    if you have issue with keybord key pressed its good habit to correct post afterwards,
    thanks,
    regards,
    Peter

This is known bug problem about S60 3td edition they always run out of memorey which is a major problem and pain on neck.

Check these reads about it.

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26344
    http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27272

I wish Nokia engineers would fix E70 soon!
    Thank you,

Arabian
    Arab Portal Network
    http://www.WeArab.Net/

Regular Contributor

I ran into similar problem. My application caches images and I would like to know how many images I can cache without running out of memory. But since Runtime's freememory is probably giving wrong answes, I will get OutOfMemoryError. If I manually limit the number of cached images, this will not happen. Is there really no way to know how much memory really is left on Nokia 3rd edition devices?

I've not tried the 3rd edition devices. But at least 1st & 2nd edition devices cannot detect the exact free memory in J2ME because it only report the 'dynamically' allocated free memory at the time freeMemory() is called.

Hi

below quote will help you to understand about memory problem in Nokia devices:

"The CLDC HI VM running on Symbian OS supports a dynamic heap. In other words the size of the heap is not constrained (except by available memory) and can grow according to the demands made by an executing MIDlet suite. A Consequence of this is that the results returned by the Runtime.getFreeMemory() method can be confusing. The getFreeMemory() method only returns a snapshot of the free heap memory currently available, and becomes invalid after a subsequent allocation to the heap. The initial heap size for CLDC HI on Symbian OS is 400 kB, although this is customizable by the licensee."

-Madhu
    Madhu