Discussion Board

Alternative to FileConnection

Hello,

We have to develop a program in J2ME where you can select an image from the filesystem, and send it to a server.

For selecting the image we had in mind to use the FileConnection. But we have to develop the program for the Nokia 6600, which does not support FileConnection.

On http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...onnection+6600 is written that it is not possible to install the JSR-75 package on the telephone.

Is there an alternative to locate the images on the filesystem of the Nokia 6600 (without using FileConnection)?

Thank you,

Group11

Super Contributor

Re: Alternative to FileConnection

Hi Group11! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

AFAIk, if your device does not support FileConnection(JSR75), You cannot access the images in the filesystem.

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Hi Group11,
    you can never acess the filesystem if jsr75 is not supported by the device.instead in these phones you can acess the images kept in the resource folder.
    Thanks
    Soku

Hi soku123,

Thanks for your quick reply,

Could you give me some more information about the 'resource folder'? How can we reach the resource folder with J2ME? Can we browse through that folder, or must we specify a direct URL to an image?

The application we build should also browse through other files (not only images, but also documents). Are the other files also located in the resource folder?

Thanks,

Group11

Super Contributor

If the device does not support FileConnection, you cannot access any folder in the filesystem. I guess Soku might have mentioned about the resource files (in resource folder) that could be bundled with the JAR file. Accessing the resource folder inside JAR file does not mean accessing Filesystem with FileConnection. You could access the resource folder inside the JAR with getResourceAsStream(String name). Its possible to bundle different files(images, sounds, other data files) along with JAR file as much as JAR size limit permits.

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Hi Group11,
    Resource folder is the one that comes along with the SRC folder in your project.There are limitations for the contents of the resource folder regarding the size the jar file can afford.Both images and sound files can be embedded.But the user can never choose a file(whatever it is images or sounds) of his choice other than the ones embedded in the res folder.So accesing the filesystem is entirely different from acessing the res folder.Any questions please ask.I am ready to explain.

Thanks
    Soku

Thanks for your quick reply,

the res directory in the jar is not what we are looking for.

Our programm should be able to select pictures that are already on the telephone, pictures that are from the user of the telephone.

We guess we have to use of these 54 telephones http://j2mepolish.org/devices/devices-pdaapi.html to let the programm work.

Super Contributor

Hi Group11,
    U check tghe device specifications of these devices.They all support jsr75.isint it.If they support the corresponding jsr then it means those phones have filesystem access.I havent gone through each phone but i think all will support jsr75.

thanks
    soku