Discussion Board

Opening SDK Examples in Carbide

Hola,

Is there a special procedure to import the SDK examples in to Carbide? If not, what is the best way to go about opening and building them?

-V-
    I Never *Try* Anything.

I Just Do It.

Re: Opening SDK Examples in Carbide

Hola,

So far, here's what I have.

The preconditions are:
    1) The proper codewarrior version of the SDK installed. In my case, it is:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-369,00.html
    Make sure to change the SELECT list on the right to: 'SDK, CodeWarrior ...'

2) Carbide.c++ Express installed. I downloaded the version at:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...utostart=false

note: I was able to download and install carbide before the SDK. When I created a new project, it recognized the location of the SDK. However, I had the Non-codewarrior version of the SDK installed and carbide was aware of it. I mention it because there is a question regarding the signalling mechanism between carbide and the SDKs.

3) An empty test project successfully built with Carbide. In my case, I:
    - selected File -> New -> Project
    - selected 'Symbian OS C++ Project' -> Next
    - Named the project blah2 and clicked Next
    - Selected 'Basic Console Application (EXE)' and clicked Next
    - Unselected the standard SDKs so that only the codewarrior branch was checked.
    note: the first time, I selected both SDKs and received build errors
    - Clicked through the next two property pages which deal with directory names and copyright notices
    - Did not select the 'symbian perspective' with the next dialog box.
    - Project was listed in the projects panel. Selected the project, right clicked and selected properties from the context menu.
    - CLicked on 'C++ Build' in the list on the project properties dialog
    - Selected the ARMI release configuration and clicked the 'Apply' button. Clicked OK to close the properties dialog.
    - Right Clicked the new project 'blah2' from the project list in the project list pane. Selected the build option
    - Verified build by checking to see if the blah2.sis was created

I know that this is not a very good explanation and that there is probably a better way to verify that carbide.c++ and the sdk are installed and that carbide.c++ can use the SDK files. But this method works.

Once the development environment is properly installed and checked, one of the sample projects distributed with the SDK can be imported into carbide by:

1) bld.inf option
    - File -> import
    - Selected 'Symbian bld.inf' from the list and click next
    - browse to the location of the bld.inf file and click next.
    In my case, I selected the copy source files into workspace option
    - Click next at the bld.inf status dialog.
    In my case, the associated mmp file was listed, the status was 'input parsed successfully' and the color of the entry was blue.
    - Deselect unrequired SDKs.
    In my case, I have two versions of the S80 SDK installed. I needed to insure only the CodeWarrior branch was selected
    - Click Finish

2) MMP method
    - This method is more direct and has less steps than the bld.inf version. At this point, I don't know which is the better method.
    - File -> Import
    - Symbian MMP File from the list
    - Enter path and insure proper SDKs are selected and click finished.

At this point the project should have been imported into the carbide workspace.

I can switch build configurations via the project properties dialog. However, I have failed to get the package file (.pkg) properly imported into the project. So I have not been able to get the installation file created.

-V-
    I Never *Try* Anything.

I Just Do It.

Quote Originally Posted by VirGin
    ...At this point the project should have been imported into the carbide workspace.

I can switch build configurations via the project properties dialog. However, I have failed to get the package file (.pkg) properly imported into the project. So I have not been able to get the installation file created.
    I assume that you can build and debug the example without problems, if not you should solve that first.

Have you tried to create the sis folder manually and copy the pkg file under it? I did that and, after switching to ARMI release build, Carbide called makesis successfully.

At least it worked for ...\Series60Ex\helloworldplus example.

Regards,
    -H.

Hello hfoffani,

In the end, that is what I did.

I created an 'sis' directory and put the package file in it.

Then I had to change the location of the files in the package file. Once I updated the paths, the installer was built as expected.

I still have not figured out how to tell carbide to include the sis directory and the package file during import, though.

-V-
    I Never *Try* Anything.

I Just Do It.

Super Contributor

In this version of Carbide, import only fetches files that are referred to by the .mmp file so things like the .pkg file need to be imported with Import/File System as you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by VirGin
    - Symbian MMP File from the list
    -V-
    Why don't I have such option in the list?

I have managed to get the environment working and a helloworld app all the way to my phone, but I can't figure out how to import the SDK examples into a new Carbide.c++ project properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone? Even the help talks about importing MMP but I just don't have such option in the import menu!?
    Last edited by supermestari; 2007-08-01 at 15:58.