Discussion Board

Unhappy Funny behaviour in AutoStart using pushRegistry

Dear Expertise

It is really strange behaviour in Nokia phones regarding the Autostart using PushRegistryAlarm to autostart the application when assigned time comes, or, there is some thing we dont understand, herein the behaviour :

For non-signed midlets Series 40 phones :

In our application, we need to set the alarm before exiting the application, the phone will ask for the permission to "restart" the application, we give him "YES" !. BUT, when the alarm time comes, it asks again "Start ?" !!! , so user has to say "YES" again !, which unfortnately destroys the whole purpose of our application, why it is asking again !!!

For non-signed midlets Series 60 phones ( non 3G ) :

It works very good, it starts again without asking. BUT, strangely, the application start by itself in random times not in the assigned time !!!, so user always find the application "On" !! when he looks at the phones, he starts to get confused "I am sure I have closed the application, why it is their !!" , and they start to complain about our application.

For non-signed midlets Series 60 3G phones ( like 6630, 6680/1, N90 ,, )

We thought that Nokia will solve the above problems in the newer versions, but it became worse and funny. They have successfully combined both problems of S40, and S60. It will start in random times but will ask you "Do you want to allow the application to start" !!!, so user now will always find a question on his phone "Do you allow the application to start " !!

I wish if some expert explains for us this behaviour and how to avoid it if possible.

Note that we have signed the application as well, but it didnt work as well, anyway, we dont want the option of "not asking for the permission" , we will be happy if it works as it should when not signed.

Note that SonnyEricsson is perfect in this respect.

thanks for your help
    Last edited by khamouda; 2006-05-13 at 07:27.

Super Contributor

Re: Funny behaviour in AutoStart using pushRegistry

khamouda,

For non-signed midlets Series 40 phones :
    In our application, we need to set the alarm before exiting the application, the phone will ask for the permission to "restart" the application, we give him "YES" we do !. BUT, when the alarm time comes, it asks again "Start ?" !!! , so user has to say "YES" again, which destroys the whole purpose of our application, why it is asking again !!!
    But this does occur on s60 also, I think. The only time, the user would not be prompted, is when the app is signed. It is askin the user once if they want to allow app to set alarm, and then again, when app is restarted by system, sucks, but is expected behaviour.

For non-signed midlets Series 60 phones ( non 3G ) :
    It works very good, it starts again without asking. BUT, strangely, the application start by itself in Random times not in the assigned time !!!, so user always find the application "On" !!
    for non signed midlets, it should still prompt user to allow/disallow startup, are you sure your not gettin your test cases mixed, as well as when you register the alarm, it should prompt user, again, unless your signed

For non-signed midlets Series 60 3G phones ( like 6630, 6680/1, N90 ,, )
    ???
    my 6630, adheres to what I said above, if signed, and permissions manually adjusted for push, it wont prompt user, if unsingned, it will...twice.

The random times app is starting, can you faithfully reproduce this on all devices? As when i tell my app to wake, after 30 seconds, it generally always does, give or take a few sec's. Is your wake offset being set correclty? also, remember, some devices use network time, so two devices, mite wake at diff times

has anyone else run into similar issues?
    Jason Glass
    http://IChiBanComputers.Com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Glass
    khamouda,

But this does occur on s60 also, I think. The only time, the user would not be prompted, is when the app is signed. It is askin the user once if they want to allow app to set alarm, and then again, when app is restarted by system, sucks, but is expected behaviour.

No, in S60, it asks you only once when you exit the application ( and it makes sense, it has already asked you to start next time, why to ask you again !), I am sure, it is working with me and with the customers now for more than a year.

But in S40, it asks you when u exit, and then at the specified time ( few hours later ) , it asks you "Start Midlet?"

for non signed midlets, it should still prompt user to allow/disallow startup, are you sure your not gettin your test cases mixed, as well as when you register the alarm, it should prompt user, again, unless your signed
    I am 100% sure of what I said.

???
    my 6630, adheres to what I said above, if signed, and permissions manually adjusted for push, it wont prompt user, if unsingned, it will...twice.
    The behaviour here is same as in S40, but in random times, which makes it worse.

Note that in sonnyericsson it is working very well, it asks you when u exit ( to set the alarm in the AMS ) , and then at the specified time, it start without prompting.

The random times app is starting, can you faithfully reproduce this on all devices? As when i tell my app to wake, after 30 seconds, it generally always does, give or take a few sec's. Is your wake offset being set correclty? also, remember, some devices use network time, so two devices, mite wake at diff times
    try to let it wake in few hours, you will find it started by itself before that.

has anyone else run into similar issues?[/QUOTE]

hi

I have the same problem with my 6230i.
    When the push registry starts the MIDlet (timer-based), the user is asked to press "start".

When the push registry activates a MIDlet by sms, the user is aksed too.
    I signed the MIDlet with a certificate from thawte, but there was no big channge. The only difference was, that I could allow autostart every time, but the user is still asked to press "start".

What's about the certificate from nokia? How can I start a MIDlet without user-verification??

Hi, thanks for your comment

yes, I dont think signing will make difference, however Thawte signing will not work anyway, u should try Verisign or better to try ww.javaverified.com

thanks

No comment from Nokia Expertise regadading this strange behaviour ?!,

At least this problem should be considered for the new versions of Nokias ( Nseries, S40, S60 ) !! ,

why they make the S40 series ask for permission when you close the application ( acceptable ) , AND WHEN IT STARTS AGAIN ( strange and distroys the purpose of getting permission when closing )

Many thanks

Explains S60 problems…

You cannot do much about Nokia Series 40. Be happy, this works at least. On other manufactor devices it is even worse…

Thanks for your comment

But for SonyEricsson it is perfect, however for Siemens it doesnt work at all even if the application is signed !!!! very bad !!!

I wish they solve these problems, dont know why not solved for NSeries/3G phones, it became worse actually

thanks
    Last edited by khamouda; 2006-05-29 at 04:45.

Then have a try for smaller manufactures like Samsung, Philips and many others. Quite "funny"…

actually you are right. I was expecting that other manufacturers will have these problems

thanks

Super Contributor

ugggh, other devices and PUSH registry...dont get me started
    Jason Glass

Hello

I own a Nokia 6630 and have and app that queries some messages to a server. I would like to use the push registry to activate the app again and check message 2 minutes before it was shutdown, so I can have an app that wake up every n minutes, checks some message and the go to sleep again.

Everything works okey except for the pushregistry. In the destroyApp of the midlet I do this..

Code:
          try {
                long delay = 1000*60*2;
                long t = new Date().getTime()+delay;
                PushRegistry.registerAlarm(this.getClass().getName(),delay);
                System.out.println("Alarm Registered");
                getDisplay().setCurrent(null);
            } catch (Exception e) {
                System.out.println("destroy " + e.getMessage());
                e.printStackTrace();
                Alert a = new Alert("Push  error");
                a.setTimeout(3000);
                getDisplay().setCurrent(a,null);
            }
    When I exit the midlet it ask for permition, I accept it, but the midlet never starts! Why? Can anybody give me some hints?

Thanks very much
    Kimi

Super Contributor

On my 6630, we have issues with pushregistry at times also, but havent tried something similar to your code. One issue that you might be facing on the device, is that there are quirks in what value get back from the system time, havent done any studies to find out exact discrepency, but if your going as low as 2 minutes, you might be encountering this.

You could find out, by having your app fire a thread every 1-2 minutes to see if it gets out of whack at all with regards to the times it is actually supposed to be firing.

Good luck!
    Jason Glass