Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation N91 SMS sending problem

Ive been using my N91 for about 2 weeks now and last week a noticed that it would take much longer for my messages to be sent. I thought it might be a network problem since I was out of the country at the time (im from the Philippines and I was in Thailand) but the problem continued even when I got home.

Right after composing a new message, i press send and the phone apprears to be sending properly then it 'hangs' for aroung 30-45 seconds before I can do ANYTHING else with the phone... and thats a REALLY long time if

One time I was charging the phone while texting and i noticed that even the battery charging indicator would pause until the message was sent.

Ive tried several restarts, and even reverted to factory settings but still the problem persists. Switching from phone memory to the hard disk doesnt help either. Could it be because ive got some personal SMS folders set-up where Ive saved around 150 messages? I hope not coz my old Sony didnt have any memory complications like that. Its getting really frustrating so I hope someone from Nokia or anywhere can offer some advice. Thanks a whole lot

Super Contributor

Re: N91 SMS sending problem

hi,

There is an Messaging example provided by nokia in the 3rd edition sdk check it properly and it creates the sms and u got to handle the send part ...

Check that example properly u'll get the idea of messaging in 3rd edition platform.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar

Super Contributor

Hi markmaya! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

I guess you are not mentioning about send SMS from a JAVA or C++ app, but from the default phone's Messaging option, right ?

Have you tried sending SMS using the same sim in a different phone and also different sim in your N91?
    If possible please try to back up all 150 messages to your PC, and try sending SMS with no previous SMS on phone.
    Also please make sure that you are in full network coverage area and you are not trying to send SMS in peak time when networks are clogged!
    Just my blind thoughts, Give a try and send in your results!

BTW, In my N90 if its taking some time to send SMS, what I am doing is just pressing the menu button and could navigate through the phone menu, where sending SMS will be doing in the background. Will that be working for you ?

Regards
    Gopal

Smile Re: N91 SMS sending problem

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks
    Hi markmaya! Welcome to Nokia Discussion Boards!!

I guess you are not mentioning about send SMS from a JAVA or C++ app, but from the default phone's Messaging option, right ?

Have you tried sending SMS using the same sim in a different phone and also different sim in your N91?
    If possible please try to back up all 150 messages to your PC, and try sending SMS with no previous SMS on phone.
    Also please make sure that you are in full network coverage area and you are not trying to send SMS in peak time when networks are clogged!
    Just my blind thoughts, Give a try and send in your results!

BTW, In my N90 if its taking some time to send SMS, what I am doing is just pressing the menu button and could navigate through the phone menu, where sending SMS will be doing in the background. Will that be working for you ?

Regards
    Gopal
    Thanks so much. Yes Im sending SMS from the phone's messaging option. Im using a MAC, so is it possible to back up my messages without the PC Suite? Im pretty sure its not a network coverage or a 'peak-time' problem. And, no i cannot navigate through the phone menu while sending, all buttons simply so not respond until message is sent

I friend of mine said it could be a firmware bug since its a new model, any thoughts on that idea?

Super Contributor

I have not come across a MAC version of PC suite by Nokia. But saw these links
    http://www.macmedia.sk/pd.htm
    http://www.datapilot.com/
    If its a firmware bug(I am not sure!), you could update with a latest firmware from a nearest Nokia care center.

Regards
    Gopal

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks
    I have not come across a MAC version of PC suite by Nokia. But saw these links
    http://www.macmedia.sk/pd.htm
    http://www.datapilot.com/
    If its a firmware bug(I am not sure!), you could update with a latest firmware from a nearest Nokia care center.

Regards
    Gopal
    Thank you for your reply.
    I was advised by Nokia people to bring it over to Nokia Care Center to have it 'reprogrammed'. They say it shouldnt take more than 10 minutes... il let u guys know if it works

Regular Contributor

did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by jinda007
    did it work?
    Yup, it worked for about one week then the phone started slowing down again. I sold it already.

Regular Contributor

ok no problem. Mine just worked on a different network...but still doesn't work with all gsm network sims ...nokia should do something about this.

This happens to me as well. Sending sms will be very slow once I have sent about 500 messages. Even after I cleared my inbox and sent folders. And I use N3250. I think this should be a known problem. I already reset my phone 4 times just to get rid of this problem!

I just got a new n90 exactly a week ago. and just after 4 days the phone wont send or receive sms at all. I'm not even sending heavy volume sms just one or two msgs and the phone keep on giving an error that "sending message failed". when I checked the error details it said that either the number i'm sending to is wrong (NOT TRUE) or that the message centre number is wrong (NOT TRUE). I really cant figure this out, i could send sms for the first 4 days and i didnt make any configuration change or any form of changes at all to the phone. i called nokia support but i got pissed off after being put on hold for like ages (and paying £0.75 a min for being put on hold).

any ideas?

Regular Contributor

Talking Re: N91 SMS sending problem

Quote Originally Posted by dollyp
    I just got a new n90 exactly a week ago. and just after 4 days the phone wont send or receive sms at all. I'm not even sending heavy volume sms just one or two msgs and the phone keep on giving an error that "sending message failed". when I checked the error details it said that either the number i'm sending to is wrong (NOT TRUE) or that the message centre number is wrong (NOT TRUE). I really cant figure this out, i could send sms for the first 4 days and i didnt make any configuration change or any form of changes at all to the phone. i called nokia support but i got pissed off after being put on hold for like ages (and paying £0.75 a min for being put on hold).

any ideas?

lol...dont be offended about the time wasting, its normal across the globe with customer care centres.
    Try changing the sim cards to a different network and lets know if thats the problem.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: N91 SMS sending problem

Hello Dolly,

Have u made a complaint at yr Network Provider yet?

Such SMS settings are provided by Network provider, as far as i have experienced with.
    They may help u.

If problem still persists then u can opt for other solutions.
    Like restoring yr factory settings.

Regards.
    Kiran.

Hi there, i'm using N73 & i encounter this problem too. Sending out SMS takes more than 2 minutes. Can't even goto any options like menu or exiting all menu. It just halt At the sending option until it's sent! Cleared all my inbox & sent folders, basically nutting. But still it lags big time.

Really stress when i need to reply souple of message at the point of time. Please enlighten me anyone. Thanks!

Look for SMS Accelerator from Nokia site, it fixes this bug.