Discussion Board

How are open data Connections effected by incoming calls?

Hi, I'm searching these forums and the Nokia documentation without finding an answer to the following question:

How are open data Connections/SecureConnections in a MIDLet effected by incoming voice calls?

Are they immediately closed? Paused? Or is it possible to maintain an active open data Connection in the MIDLet while a voice call is ongoing?

If the device supports WCDMA and/or GSM EDGE which are capable of simultaneous voice/data connections will an open J2ME Connection remain active on a voice call? Or is there something in the J2ME implementation on Nokia phones that prevents this?

I'd appreciate it if anybody could point me at the relevant Nokia documentation or answer this question!

Thanks.
    Last edited by stuartbnicholson; 2006-05-14 at 23:33.

Nokia Developer Champion
    The network operator has to support this, too. In GSM this is tricky. In UMTS this should do. Test it yourself but do not rely on it in GSM (CSD, HSCSD, GPRS or EGPRS).

Because you are not in control of the type of data transmission – your user could have even configured internat access for CSD, do not rely on it at all.

No big help, I know. However, just a note to reconsider this problem.

Re: How are open data Connections effected by incoming calls?

Thanks for that reply!

I'm aware that I need '3G' phones (UTMS etc.) to support simultaneous data/voice connections. We're looking at building a mobile front end for a larger, existing telephony product so will end up targetting a small set of 3G phones I suspect or going lower level to Symbian.

I gathered from the lack of responses that it's just a case of 'try it and see' rather than being clearly documented anywhere.

Super Contributor

Re: How are open data Connections effected by incoming calls?

Hi stuartbnicholson,
    This is what i got from a site.Hope this will be do some help to you.

You cannot talk on the phone and browse the web or check/send email at the same time. If there is an active data connection (you are actively sending or receiving data), then all incoming calls go directly to voice mail. If the caller leaves a message, you will see a voicemail alert when the data connection ends.

Remember, if you're just reading or composing an email, and not actively getting or sending messages, you do not have an "active" data connection. Voice calls should come through normally.

Thanks
    Soku

Nokia Developer Champion
    soku123, this is not true for 3G (UMTS) and might not be true for GPRS – depending on your used phone and network operator.

stuartbnicholson, as written, how do you know it is in 3G mode. Additionally, it might be possible even in GPRS. There – with a Nokia phone – your data connection should get parked, if you network operator is clever and network resources are left.