Discussion Board

Nokia bug with DTMF?

We run a service that authenticates the sender of a text message - this allows financial transactions to be executed via text.

In a nutshell, when a registered customer sends a request to our service which requires authentication we immediately call them back using our IVR platform, read out the text using Text-to-Speech and ask them to authorise by entering their 4 digit PIN.

We have an issue with Nokia phones if the sender of the text leaves the Write Message screen open after sending the text. With this screen open the phone does not enter touch-tone (DTMF) mode when they answer the IVR call and we therefore reject the customers PIN .

This only happens with Nokia phones.

Any ideas anyone?

Thumbs down Re: Nokia bug with DTMF?

It seems we have the same problem here with a customer who called ith a Nokia 6280. We are using AVM B1 cards on an Asterisk machine. Currently we have softdtmf=1 enabled. Not sure if disabling it would change anything.

Get back to me here if you find some answer to this!

Re: Nokia bug with DTMF?

Again someone confirmed the case with a nokia 5140i.. still looking for the cause. Softdtmf in asterisk has no influence on this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack75 View Post
    Again someone confirmed the case with a nokia 5140i.. still looking for the cause. Softdtmf in asterisk has no influence on this.
    Did anybody ever find a solution to this. I have tested this even on newer phones (N95 8GB) and the problem still exists.

It also exists on a samsung we have running symbain perhaps its the OS level the problem lies with.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I would suspect it to be operator problem. Actually checked this one of the times, and all DTMF handling is eventually handled through etelmm, and there it goes to be lower level that does all DTMF signalings as desciped by the standard, and it is implemented with all S60 devices (and propably by all symbian as well) that way, and only times I have sofar heard any porblems they have been caused by the operator.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I would suspect it to be operator problem. Actually checked this one of the times, and all DTMF handling is eventually handled through etelmm, and there it goes to be lower level that does all DTMF signalings as desciped by the standard, and it is implemented with all S60 devices (and propably by all symbian as well) that way, and only times I have sofar heard any porblems they have been caused by the operator.
    Have you tested this way:

Open, say for example, screen to write new SMS.
    Have IVR call the handset (On n95 Call will appear on standby screen, once answered, focus will return to the message screen)
    Once the IVR requests DTMF tones all the happens is text will be written into the message screen when pressing keypad.
    No DTMF tones are played to the IVR.
    Listening to the phone speaker no DTMF are audiable either.

I have now tried this on N958GB and also older 6230I and both seem to exhibit same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shane_kiwi View Post
    Have you tested this way:

Open, say for example, screen to write new SMS.
    Have IVR call the handset (On n95 Call will appear on standby screen, once answered, focus will return to the message screen)
    Once the IVR requests DTMF tones all the happens is text will be written into the message screen when pressing keypad.
    No DTMF tones are played to the IVR.
    Listening to the phone speaker no DTMF are audiable either.

I have now tried this on N958GB and also older 6230I and both seem to exhibit same issue.
    - In addition I have tried this on several other non symbian handsets - sony ericsson, blackberry etc - and this is not an issue with these handsets.

Nokia Developer Moderator

hmmm, why are you doing it with key sending ?, proper way would be to use CTelephony API.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    hmmm, why are you doing it with key sending ?, proper way would be to use CTelephony API.
    The IVR is initiated from a call center to activate an emegency team. They must first enter a PIN to confim the right person has answered the phone.

So baically if the screen on these phones in in anything but standby screen then the tones are not passed to the IVR and the IVR times out.

I'm getting the same problem with an N95 8GB on an Asterisk switch.

Handset: N95 8GB / v31.0.015 firmware
    Asterisk: 1.2.26

The handset will generate DTMF inband tones, but doesn't appear to be sending using RFC2833.

KNOWN WORKING:
    Device: N95
    Codec: G.711a (forced on Asterisk device configuration with disallow=all;allow=alaw&ulaw)
    DTMF: inband

Device: Grandstream BT101
    Codec: iLBC (forced on Asterisk device configuration with disallow=all;allow=ilbc)
    DTMF: rfc2833

KNOWN NOT WORKING:
    Device: N95
    Codec: iLBC (forced on Asterisk device configuration with disallow=all;allow=iblc)
    DTMF: rfc2833 (or) info

As inband DTMF can only be sent when using G.711, it's forcing me to use a high-bandwidth codec to get DTMF signalling to work. What I want to use is iLBC and rfc2833 signalling, which doesn't seem to work.

I haven't tested with G.729 as I don't have any G.729 codecs on my Asterisk install.