Discussion Board

Mobile with USB acting as USB Master device?

I wish to connect any series 60 or 80 nokia mobile to a slave device via the USB port.

This device cannot load any drivers and simply responds to a serial message (command) sent by the mobile ( I can emulate this device using Hyerterm).

CAN I DO THIS? or are all mobiles always set up as USB slaves?

If this is NOT possible, can I connect via the Bluetooth port, again with the mobile acting as the master and my device acting as the slave?

Re: Mobile with USB acting as USB Master device?

Hi Robert,

I know this is an old thread, but were you able to find any information on the USB port of mobile acting as a USB Master? We have a similar requirement, and just wondering if you could give any pointers.

Thanks and Regards
    Chandu

Quote Originally Posted by cbang View Post
    Hi Robert,

I know this is an old thread, but were you able to find any information on the USB port of mobile acting as a USB Master? We have a similar requirement, and just wondering if you could give any pointers.

Thanks and Regards
    Chandu
    Yes and the news is ALL bad. The devices are incapable of using the USB port as a Master. This appears to be something to do with the hardware configuration and the inability of the USB port to initiate a session. Accordingly, I have used Bluetooth - which raises a completely different set of issues.

Cheers

Robert Daggar

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Daggar View Post
    Yes and the news is ALL bad. The devices are incapable of using the USB port as a Master. This appears to be something to do with the hardware configuration and the inability of the USB port to initiate a session. Accordingly, I have used Bluetooth - which raises a completely different set of issues.

The capability to act as USB master comes with the uUSB AB connector and is called USB OTG (On-The-Go)

The USB AB receptacle can act as USB B (peripheral) or alternatively as USB A (host). It can even switch roles in one session.

This is already available in some S40 devices that primarily support USB headset through this. No S60 phones yet.

Really interesting is the Nokia 6600 fold that also supports USB Mass Storage Host! You can virtually plug any USB memory stick into it (adapter needed unless you have uUSB stick...)
    and transfer files to phone and back.

Cool.