Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nokia PC Suite failure to install

I am getting two different stories from tech support regarding "unable to detect connectivity" error messages while trying to install PC Suite 6.8
    (1.) I was told a new version would be issued because of multiple complaints of similar installation errors that corrupt connectivity and/or .dll files. On a subsequent phone call, (2.) I was also told it was my fault because I tried to uninstall PC Suite and do a clean install of version 6.8 and I must do a system restore prior to downloading new version.
    I followed instructions for a system restore, then remove ALL folders involving Nokia (using both Windows add/remove and deleting from hard drive) and even ran Suite Cleaner 3.3. After multiple re-boots I then downloaded and tried to install version 6.8. Same error messages---nearly two dozen different .dll files not found, creating "error 1904". I clicked "ignore" each time and when I tried to run the poorly installed PC Suite, I received the ultimate error message: "Application failed to start. CONNAPI.dll not found".
    I don't know what to do now and phone Tech Support is no longer helpful. Please advise.
    Thanks.
    PAUL

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia PC Suite failure to install

This maybe sounds like an irrelevant question but what model of the processor do you have on your computers motherboard?

Can you try to manually register the file atl.dll? ATL.dll is a file that should be installed and registered by Internet Explorer 6.0, and if that is not registered it might create problem for other applications.

Processor is a PentiumIV, if that's what you are refering to. I don't follow the rest of your message.
    Once again I tried to clear Nokia from my system, following directions for a system restore. I just downloaded and attempted to install PC Suite version 6.8.22 but progress was halted with a new error message:
    "Error 1402. Could not open key
    HKEY.LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFWARE\CLASSES\Msxml2.domdOCUMENT.4.0\CLSID.
    Verify sufficient access to that key or notify support."

This is getting very annoying...

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

It looks like you do not have access rights to do an installation. Are you logged in as an administrator or Power User?

What version of XP are you running?

Ron

Super Contributor

If still problem persists, may be you should give a try with Nokia PC Suite Cleaner in this link
    http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,84592,00.html

Also as Ron suggested please check whether you have administrator rights in your machine.

Regards
    Gopal

Thanks for your tips.
    1. I am the only "user" with administrator rights on my stand alone desktop running Windows XP Pro.
    2. I have run Nokia PC Suite Cleaner 3.3 (several times), most recently a few minutes ago. When running that program I receive the error message: "could not creat a list of directories".

Super Contributor

It sounds like you have "heavy" register issues..

Can you check in the tech specs that came with the computer if your Pentium Processor supports DEP (Intel calls it "XD")?

Did you use the automatic update from previous version when you installed 6.8 version or did you install it "clean" on the computer?

Thanks again for trying to help me with this frustrating issue. I have no doubt there are, as you say, "heavy register issues. I can't tell if the processor supports DEP (or XD), but I can tell you that the motherboard is PlantiniX 2E/333 with Intel 845 PE chipset and a Pentium IV processor. I hope this helps your analysis.
    PAUL

Super Contributor

The reason why I asked about the processor type, and if it supports DEP or not is that I had this problem myself when I upgraded from version 6.7.22 to 6.8. My system was working well before and I had no problems with PC Suite and are the only administrator on my computer.

Strangely when upgrading I suddenly didn´t have any access to following registry entry:
    (HKEY.LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFWARE\CLASSES\Msxml2.domdOCUMENT.4.0\CLSID)

I used the System Restore function on my PC and went back to the point when my registry was ok before the upgrade. After that I ran a Registry Monitor application in the background when upgrading Nokia PC Suite and it seemed like the regserver was blocked and didn´t register all needed .dll files that was installed together with Nokia PC Suite. Strangely I couldn´t even register all .dll files manually. In the register my permissions had also changed regarding some paths in the operating system that Nokia PC Suite are using.

I started to research the problem myself with the trial and error method, installing and reinstalling with system restore in between. When I finally succeeded upgrading Nokia PC Suite I had disabled the DEP function in the operating system (Windows XP Professional). I had never thought about this function before and didn´t even think about that my processor, which is a AMD X64, supported this functionality.

As of Windows XP SP2, Microsoft has enabled Data Execution Prevention (DEP); a feature that is included in newer processor series from AMD and Intel. The processors include (but not exclude others): Intel Celeron-D, some Intel Pentium4, Xeon and AMD Athlon 64. Data execution prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help protect against malicious code exploits. Intel refers to their version of DEP as XD or "execution disabling bit". AMD refers to their version of DEP as the "NX-bit" or "No Execute bit".

After that I researched a little more I found that when applications are packed in so called .ocx library you need to specify in the source code a certain parameter to avoid the DEP functionality so that the regserver is not blocked. So my conclution of this problem is that the cause is that with Windows XP SP2 and an AMD64 chip (or other DEP chip), Regsvr32 is blocked and various .dll's fail to register causing a lot of error messages in Nokia PC Suite. As I see it there could possibly be two workarounds for this (for those that are having the problem and a DEP processor) until Nokia PC Suite is "fixed".

Workaround A: Restore your system to a point before the error message occured. Disable DEP, install Nokia PC Suite and enable DEP after installation.

Workaround B: Restore your system to a point before the error message occured. Remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 and then install Nokia PC Suite.

You can however also fix this problem by going in to the registry and change your access to some certain paths in the registy. This is however not a suitable solution for people that aren´t familiar with how to use the register and if your unlucky you might end up with having a computer not starting at all, or giving some other error messages since many files are shared between different applications.

Since I don´t have so many computers to test this on I can´t say if this helps in all cases, but it did for me on at least two computers that had the DEP processor. If some moderator from Nokia read this thread maybe you could look into this and see if I have pointed out something important here or not.....

For those hundreds of users looking in on this thread because they experienced the same PC Suite installation problem, follow the instructions on damn_delicious' last post---it works!!
    Too bad Nokia hasn't acknowledged this flaw and created a fix...or recognize damn_delicious' solution.

I'm having this exact same problem. Should uninstalling Nokia PC Suite altogether not solve the problem? Surely the uninstall should also remove any PC Suite-related entries in the registry.

-Antun

Super Contributor

Hi Karlovac, unfortunately the uninstallation of Nokia PC Suite or running the Nokia Register Clean 3.3 (with "other problem" or "I receive an error message..") doesn´t seems to fix the problem. According to my investigation this is because Nokia PC Suite changes the permissions in the register when Nokia PC Suite is installed, and the register clean program available on Nokias homepage doesn´t seems to change those permissions back to what it was before the installation.

I haven´t had the change to test this under so many different hardware setups but I have received a lot of PM:s telling me the workaround I provided actually works, which is nice to hear :-)

If you dont know how to disable DEP in your system you can follow the guide below.

WARNING!! The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. I cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.

Users with Intel processors may need to disable the "XD" or Execution Disabling Bit in their computer's CMOS/BIOS. Since each computer's CMOS is different, reference the computer's manual or contact the manufacturer of the computer in question for assistance with this step.

Verify the Administrator account is running for Windows XP.
    Go to Start->Control Panel and choose the System applet.

1 Click on the Advanced tab.
    2. Select the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    3. Locate and change the boot.ini, by clicking on the Edit button, and then change the string /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff.
    4. Save the file and reboot.

Now Nokia PC Suite should install without error messages or other .dll errors. After installation, change the boot.ini back to its original state, returning the added layer of security.

You might have some similar problem even if you don´t have a DEP processor but then the cause might be some antivirus program, firewall, scriptprogram that blocks the regserver. The solution provided above ONLY applies to computers running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on hardware that supports the "NX-bit" or "DEP" feature.

The problem you describe seems an exact match for my situation. I've disabled DEP and manually changed the permissions on the annoying registry keys--but I'm still getting .DLL registration error messages for the following DLLs:

bkmrk.dll
    ccft.dll
    cdsaccess.dll
    commonds.dll
    commonselectdevice.dll
    connectionmanager-btplg.dll
    connectionmanager-serialplg.dll
    dl2dasms.dll
    nokia.dll
    notes50_11.dll
    org50.dll
    outlook2.dll
    outlookx.dll
    pcssupportsetup.dll
    pnaeng.dll
    phonebrowser.dll
    searchengine.dll
    synch.dll
    wadrb.dll

This is on a Dell Dimension 9150.

Any additional suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

For PC Suite problems you really should be asking on the End User Support forum.

Nokia end user products support questions should be addressed at Nokia's online support sites http://www.nokia.com/support not here in Forum Nokia.

Also there are some localized product support forums and one that is monitored and where you can get attention and solutions http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/. They have a lot of information specific to PC Suite Installation problems.

My apology for not noticing this thread earlier.

Ron

Super Contributor

Hi Ron,

I know that the end user support could be discussed at Nokia UK Discussion Board, the problem is that I was banned from that site after giving the same information there like I have done here.

It´s not anything negative I have written about the company Nokia itself on this thread but should in my eyes at least be counted as valuable feedback for Nokia, but apparently not on Nokia UK Discussion Boards.

I haven´t seen anyone else discovering what I have on this subject but it´s kind of hard to help end-users (and even developers) if you get banned ;-)