Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Arrow SOS: I continue having problems with signing MIDlets in NOKIA 9500!

Hi, after a lot of reading blogs, threads, webpages... I know that I have the solution nearer but I need a little help from you to get my goal! I hope someone from the Nokia stuff read this thread and he/she can help me!

I'm developing a MIDlet for NOKIA 9500 Series 80. I need to manage bluetooth communications (as a server and as a client), http communications (maybe https communications in the future), Push Registry service...

As you can notice, it would be too uncomfortable that the client was prompted for allow operations all the time! I decided to sign the MIDlet making a self-cert, importing it to NOKIA 9500, giving trusted domain to that certificate... but I always obtain the same alert message during the MIDlet instalation (The MIDlet is signed with the same self-certificate following the steps from the Dave Haye's page): Java Server Error!

Besides, when I export my self-certificate it appears in the OTHERS Certificates section, with official certificates: Nokia, Thawte, Baltimore...

I don't know what to do! I almost read all the information about signing MIDlets: Dave Haye's Blog, Nokia Forum' blogs... but I don't find out the solution!

Some questions for you:

1) Did the installation fail due to my firmware version 4.51(0)? I read something like that with signing a Nokia 6630.

2) Can I update the firmware by myself?

3) Do you know how to create USER Certificates and how to install them in the USER certificates section in NOKIA 9500?
    I read in the user's guide that you need that type of certificates to test your MIDlets, but I think that they don't allow your MIDlet total control (max./trusted domain) of your phone!

4) I really need to use the maximun/trusted domain to get my MIDlet runs like a commercial/real application, and I read in the Nokia 9500 user's guide that I can't change the trusted setting for USER Certificates, but the guide doesn't explain anymore!
    Am I force to use an OTHER Certificate and to pay for it?

Lots of thanks in advance. I expect you to help me with this BIG problem!
    Last edited by Summerman; 2006-05-19 at 19:29.

Nokia Developer Champion
    As there are a lot of Nokia 9500 operator versions out there, all with different security settings, I am not sure, I can help you correctly, but have you checked that in the Menu > Tools > Manager > your application > Options > Suite settings > Connectivity > Always allowed is selected?

There should no signing be involved here. Trusted third party might not even help, because normally the default permission does not change in most cases. So you or your others are still forced to change the permissions themselves. Or you go for the Nokia trusted domain.

When you go for signing – which makes no sense in your case – you should go for a paid certificate (Java Verified or another certificate authority) as the Nokia 9500 might include the bug of some Nokia Series 60 2nd Edition phones which allow self-signed root certificates for application signing.

Regular Contributor

Arrow Re: SOS: I continue having problems whith signing MIDlets in NOKIA 9500!

Quote Originally Posted by traud
    As there are a lot of Nokia 9500 operator versions out there, all with different security settings, I am not sure, I can help you correctly, but have you checked that in the Menu > Tools > Manager > your application > Options > Suite settings > Connectivity > Always allowed is selected?

There should no signing be involved here. Trusted third party might not even help, because normally the default permission does not change in most cases. So you or your others are still forced to change the permissions themselves. Or you go for the Nokia trusted domain.

When you go for signing – which makes no sense in your case – you should go for a paid certificate (Java Verified or another certificate authority) as the Nokia 9500 might include the bug of some Nokia Series 60 2nd Edition phones which allow self-signed root certificates for application signing.

I think that signing my MIDlet has a lot of sense in this case!

If my MIDlet isn't singned, it doesn't get the trusted domain and you can't change to "Always allowed" all the possible types of connectivity. Of course you can change Local Connectivity to "Always allow" without signing, but if you can change "Internet Connection (htpp,htpps)", "Push Registry", "Send SMS","Read/Write User Data".... to "Always allowed" too: Please tell me how you do it!

I read that you always need the "Trusted Domain" or "Maximum Domain" to get total control of your phone and the MIDlet must be signed/certified to obtain that!

What I just want is not to pay for certificate my MIDlet so I tried to make my self-certificate and the problem is that it was impossible the installation!

Thanks for your help Traud!
    Last edited by Summerman; 2006-05-20 at 17:56.

Nokia Developer Champion
    What part of my post have you not understood? Please read it carefully and then ask your question again.

Even in 3rd party domain, there is no guarantee to get these permissions you are looking for. Additionally, there is no guarantee the default permissions change to the values you are looking for. Only manufacturer level gains all permissions and the maximums as default.

It depends on your operator version which permissions you get. As far as you do not do JSR-75, signing might not help at all as did it my operator version. It was signed, however, I gained no additional benefit beside higher JSR-75 permissions. As mentioned previously, this could be different with your operator version. Unfortunately, this information is not public.

Additionally, I do not know if this bug of the Nokia Series 60 2nd Edition, allowing self-signed certificates for MIDlet signing, works for Series 80 at all. When you followed the steps in that mentioned tutorial and you still fail, it might not work. Simple as that. By the way, you need a root certificate. A user one does not work.

In the emulator, you should have full control. There you can install self-signed certificates and have a look how the permissions might change – still depends on the operator version, at least it is a near guess.

Try with the Series 40 3rd Edition Platform SDK. If it works there – it does work there, I have tested myself – but not in your real Nokia, then you know the bottom line. When it does not work in the emulators, you are doing something wrong (not using the internal web browser, PEM instead of DER format of certificate, user cert, wrong time and date, forgot JAD, forgot permissions, misspelled permissions, …).
    Last edited by traud; 2006-05-23 at 11:39.

Regular Contributor

Re: SOS: I continue having problems whith signing MIDlets in NOKIA 9500!

Thanks Traud and I'm sorry about the confusion!

1) Is the operator version the same as firmware version?

2) Then, am I mixing the things up? Do I need to certificate my MIDlet with a paid certificate of an authority like Nokia, Thawthe, Sun... instead of signing my MIDlet to get that Permissions I want?

Thanks in advance! I hope to resolve my problems with your help!
    Last edited by Summerman; 2006-05-23 at 09:29.

Nokia Developer Champion
    1) It is a bit difficult to explain. There are base (firmware) versions. Additionally, each operator controls if and when that version is going to be released for their operator version phones, so a operator phone can (but not must) be some versions behind the retail/country versions. Yes, there are even country specific retail versions. The whole world might not have the same version. This creates the following sheme:
    I. base
    II. country
    III. a) retail b) operator

2) Noone can answer this at the moment as every version level might implement different permissions. Nokia, your operator and someone else who has gone for the same level on the same Nokia model on the same operator version might tell you.

When you go with Nokia authority, you get all permissions. However, getting this one is near to impossible except you work in contract of Nokia. When you go with your Operator's authority, you get most permissions. However again, getting this is one is near to impossible. Getting for the normal 3rd party trust level, either through Java Verified, VeriSign or self-signed, does not give you guarantee to get the level you are looking for.

First of all, you should determine which permissions you really need and if there is no way with the current untrusted situation.

Officially self-signing is not allowed by MIDP 2.0 for GSM/UMTS mobile phone. Do not ask me why – I do not like this either. There are some phones allowing self-signed certificates for MIDlet signing, however, it is a bug and you should not rely on. For personal use, you might experiment with it, to solve the question above, however, if you go commecial or for release, do not rely on this "feature".

Nokia Developer Champion
    Have a look at chapter 7.3 of the (forth-coming) JSR-248. Although it is not final it gives a good overview, what the maximum and default permissions should look like. Again, this is a should. Except different result – anyway a good document to read on – although it will take a while until we see such a device – document outlines a lot of today's MIDP issues. Good background reading material.