Discussion Board

Nokia, please bring back the ability to specify a proxy/port for MIDlet connections

This feature disappeared for no known reason when S40v2 was introduced. The lack of this functionality is disruptive to users. See here also: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=79252. Thanks!

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Nokia, please bring back the ability to specify a proxy/port for MIDlet connections

Hi,

I'll make a note of this and pass it on to the appropriate place

Ron

Re: Nokia, please bring back the ability to specify a proxy/port for MIDlet connections

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    Hi,

I'll make a note of this and pass it on to the appropriate place

Ron
    Thank you so much. If you do a search on the web you'll find countless users tearing their hairs out because of this problem (for example the same MIDlet working fine on a 6230 but not on a 6230i due to the proxy/port settings for java connections being disabled/ignored).

I suspect that this problem was unintentionally introduced in S40 v.2 (and was carried over to S40 v.3 also) and Nokia may not be aware that this issue exists.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Thanks to everyone that has suggested this requirement. I have an update.

A requirement has been created for this.If everything goes as planned it should be available sometime in 2007 devices. I know this is slower than you'd like but it is a big step and about as fast as it can happen.

Ron

Thanks Ron!

Many members of the mobile community will be happy to hear this news.

Hopefully you guys would still be able to get it in an update to S40v3 so at least current devices being sold at the time Nokia realized this issue existed could benefit from a fix with a firmware update at some point. And even if you can't do that, at least it's good to know that y'all are aware of the issue and intend to fix it someday.

Thanks again.