Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

Multiple programs within single SIS file dilema

Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a good way to package my application(s) as a SIS file for installation on the Nokia 7650.

My application, FotoFun Pack, consists of 4 separate apps. What happens at the moment is each app is compiled and built seperately, and then all the binaries and resources are packaged into a single SIS file. Upon installation, the user gets 4 application icons on the main 'desktop', and only one single entry in the Application Manager list. This works but it means that the user can only remove the whole package at once, not individual programs. It may be the case that after using them for a bit, the user decides that only FotoEdit and FotoFit are worth keeping on the device's memory, and they'd like to remove FotoPairs and FotoPuzzle, but currently they can't, it's all or nothing I'm afraid.

I've tried the following approach. Create the single installable SIS file with one main application (FotoEdit) and embed the other 3 apps as individual SIS files into the main one. What I end up with is a single SIS file that's larger than the first one, but not by too much. The trouble though is that once installed, in the Application Manager list, the fist app appears at the combined size of all 4 apps, and the three embedded ones are each listed with their individual sizes. This seems to imply that the memory taken up on the device is about twice as much as it should be, and it doesn't look good at all. You can however remove the apps individually, which is ok, but leaving the main one still shows it taking up considerably more space than it should.

Another thing I've tried is to have just the set of files common to the apps (splash screens and default images etc) under the main SIS file entry, and then embed all four apps within it in their own SIS files. This seems to be ok in terms of usability. You get 5 entries in the App. Manager, 'FotoFun Pack' as the first entry, then the individual apps as well. You can remove any of the individual apps by themselves, also if you remove 'FotoFun Pack', all the individual apps are removed too. Unfortunatly the entry for 'FotoFun Pack' says it takes up the combined space of all the other apps, and they all have their own entries taking up space too.

Ideally what I want is a single SIS file that produces 4 entries in the App. Manager, with each being managable seperatly, and only indicating the actual amount of space they use.

One other thing I thought of was to stick with option 1 and provide the function within each program to remove itself, but this wouldn't update the value in the App. Manager.

Does anyone have any other good ideas?

Thanks very much,

Steve

Stephen Longhurst
    iomo ltd.

Regular Contributor

RE: Multiple programs within single SIS file dilema

Hi,

There is no easy way to achieve this...the only types of .SIS packages that do not appear as installed applications in the App. Manager are SISCONFIG and SISUPGRADE. However, these need a dependancy for the main component (e.g. an already installed app) defined in the .pkg file. Here's one idea how to do a workaround: Make an "upgrade package" for the Series60ProductID, i.e. declare the UID of the Series60ProductID as the main component of the upgrade sis package, and use the same UID for the package itself.

Something like this:

; Installation header
    ; Application UID
    #{"SomeApplications"},(0x101F6F88),0,0,0,TYPE=SISUPGRADE

; Supports Series 60 v0.9
    ; This line indicates that this installation is for the Series60 v0.9
    ; and that the Series60 Product ID is required
    (0x101F6F88), 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

@"EmbeddedApp1.sis",(0x12345678)
    @"EmbeddedApp2.sis",(0x12345679)

When installing this package, the "Install SomeApplications?" is displayed to the user,

but SomeApplications will not appear as installed app in the App. manager (because it is an upgrade package), only the embedded applications will appear.

The drawback is that when removing the individual apps from the manager, the warning "Removal may stop other applications from working. Continue?" is displayed to the user. I'm not sure however if using the Series60ProductID this way has some other side effects, so use it cautiously. Especially take care that you use the version number 0,0,0 for the upgrade package.

Br,
    FN Developer Support

Regular Contributor

RE: Multiple programs within single SIS file dilema

If anyone's interested, I've decided to use the optional sections within the SIS file. A bit of code like this:

; Ask the user if they wish to install additional pieces
    !({"FotoEdit (71KB)","FotoEdit (71KB)"},
    {"FotoPuzzle (33KB)","FotoPuzzle (33KB)"},
    {"FotoFit (129KB)","FotoFit (129KB)"},
    {"FotoPairs (53KB)","FotoPairs (53KB)"})

Followed by IF option1 ... ENDIF does the job very nicely.

You only get a single entry in the app manager, but the user can optionally choose what components they want at install time. Allowing to a remove followed by re-install if they want to change the components in use.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Multiple programs within single SIS file dilema

hi..
    i am trying to include several applications into a single application as LongSteve is doing.. and i am stuck... please help

Hi,
    I've a query wrt this topic. I want that the Main Menu will have only one icon, say FotoFun. On click of that, a view will come having in it the four icons corresponding to the four applications, viz. FotoEdit,FotoPairs etc. How can I achieve it?

regards,
    ritam

Nokia Developer Moderator

App 2,3 and 4 have the hidden flag in the *.aif or *_reg.rss file. App 1 handles icons display and the corresponding apps start up.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I have a main SIS file A, which includes three more SIS files viz., X, Y.

Out of these X, Y are standard, there wont be any changes in these at any time. Only A will change freequently.

But A is depend on X and Y.

When installing first time, all (A, X and Y) should be installed.

On further installation(on the same phone) only A should be installed.

I wrote in my pkg file like this

IF NOT package(UID of X)
    @"X", (UID of X)
    ENDIF
    First time is fine. But second time it is installing A perfectly but removes X.
    The reason could be, while doing second time installation, it first removes the old 'A' and then installs new 'A'. (Since X, Y are installed along with old 'A').

How can I achieve this task.

regarding optional installation:

Its giving option, but If I choose 'Cancel' it is cancelling entire installation, not the specific one.

thnx
    Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by LongSteve View Post
    If anyone's interested, I've decided to use the optional sections within the SIS file. A bit of code like this:

; Ask the user if they wish to install additional pieces

Followed by IF option1 ... ENDIF does the job very nicely.

You only get a single entry in the app manager, but the user can optionally choose what components they want at install time. Allowing to a remove followed by re-install if they want to change the components in use.

Cheers,

Steve