Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Question Displaying additional info at installation

Hi,

When I install my app on the Symbian phone, the installer by defalut shows the name of the package, version, size and for S60/UIQ 3.0 signing info. I would like to add to this dialog some additional info or create a new dialog. Does anyone know how it can be done? Basically I need to display a dialog not when the app is launching/launch but during the app installation phase.

Thank you,

Vasili.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Displaying additional info at installation

have you tried on using the text dialogs, as with 1st & 2nd edition ?

yucca

Hi,

there is a facility to show a text file during install. this is typically for license / readme type info. Sounds like it could be what you need.

see:

http://forum.newlc.com/index.php/topic,14537.0.html

cheers

PL

Nokia Developer Expert

Thumbs down Re: Displaying additional info at installation

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    have you tried on using the text dialogs, as with 1st & 2nd edition ?

yucca
    I thought that I can only use text dialogs when the app is launched. I need to display some text when I am installing .sis file

Nokia Developer Expert

Thumbs up Re: Displaying additional info at installation

Quote Originally Posted by petxolobo
    Hi,

there is a facility to show a text file during install. this is typically for license / readme type info. Sounds like it could be what you need.

see:

http://forum.newlc.com/index.php/topic,14537.0.html

cheers

PL
    Thank you, this link and a re-direct brings you to a desired info. I include it here:

Text notice display
    Optionnally, you can display some text window during the installation process. This can be typically :
    a license usage for your application
    some release notes (new features introduced by this version of the application)

This is specified by using the FILETEXT command:

;
    ; Display new features
    ;
    "release.txt" - "", FILETEXT, TEXTCONTINUE

The line above specifies that:
    the content of the file release.txt will be displayed during the installation process. This file is located in the same directory as the PKG file (if not, you must specify the path). In this exemple, the file is not written on the phone after installation (because of the - "" specification.

TEXTCONTINUE specifies that only one softkey with the "Continue" label will be presented to the user. Other possible options are :

TEXTSKIP Use Yes and No buttons in the text file dialog. If Yes is pressed, the dialog is cancelled and the installation continues. If No is pressed, the dialog is cancelled, and the installation will continue, but the next file or component specified in the pkg file will not be installed.
    TEXTEXIT Use Yes and No buttons in the text file dialog. If Yes is pressed, the dialog is cancelled and the installation continues. If No is pressed, the installation is aborted and any installed files are removed.
    TEXTABORT Use Yes and No buttons in the text file dialog. If Yes is pressed, the dialog is cancelled and the installation continues. If No is pressed, the installation is aborted - normally resulting in a partial installation.

This part can also be integrated within the files section. The TEXTSKIP option can be used to ask the user which optional file he wants to install.

Greetings,
    Please remember the useful Sisar app provided with the SDK. It's very useful and easy to use. You can easily show text/readme/license or whatever and there are still so many other things it can offer - all through GUI, no need for writing pkg. It might come in handy for you, check it out.

Best Regards,
    Chad.